Need some help building my first speaker, please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, im new to the forums and i need some help with my first speaker building. :)

First of all, i dont understand what i have to do with crossovers and how to actually hook up the wires and whatnot.

Im looking at having a Subwoofer hooked up, as well as an extended range/full range speaker, hopefully in one enclosure if i can.

Here is the subwoofer im considering (please comment on it too, i know reviews are good but could use input)
Dayton SD315-88 12" Shielded DVC Subwoofer | Parts-Express.com

And here are the two full/extended range im looking at... (comment again if you can :))
HiVi B3N 3" Aluminum Driver Round Frame | Parts-Express.com
Tang Band W3-1053SC 3" Full Range Driver | Parts-Express.com

Im going to build my own enclosure for it, but past that i dont know what to do... what do i have to do for crossovers and whatnot? id rather not spend too much on one... please help :eek:

Thanks in advance :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks for your reply!

Ok i looked at the 3" Extended Range, but theyre 4 Ohms. The sub im looking at is 8Ohms, ive read that you want them to all be matched, and it wouldnt be this way, is that ok?

Also, researching my sub i read that a vented enclosure should be better... does it really matter? im mainly concerned with bass output. and from a personal experiences all ive ever used are vented enclosures.

I looked at the link, but i only see one plate amp there, the Foster WF-100K, and it says 80W into 8ohms, which wouldnt power my sub enough...

Thanks again :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ok i looked at the 3" Extended Range, but theyre 4 Ohms. The sub im looking at is 8Ohms, ive read that you want them to all be matched, and it wouldnt be this way, is that ok?

Because the sub should/will use a separate amplifier matching impedance is inconsequential. With any of these -- or any of the other 3" mentioned -- you'll have a single FR as a satelite. By default they match.

If you dig a bit deeper you'll also find that the Aura is available in silver or black cone, 4 or 8 ohms. You choose the impedance best suited to your amplifier.

In a multi-way with a passive XO, mixing impedance is OK, you just have to consider the match with your amplifier. And one also has to consider that the nominal impedance is just that nominal. The impedance of a driver is rarely defineable with a single number.

Also, researching my sub i read that a vented enclosure should be better... does it really matter? im mainly concerned with bass output. and from a personal experiences all ive ever used are vented enclosures.

Depends. Room, preference, driver, tolerance to group delay. I tend to avoid vented woofers. My current woofer build will be a pair of sealed push-push CSS SDX10. If you want to put a hole in the box, a transmission line or tapped horn would be my preference.

I looked at the link, but i only see one plate amp there, the Foster WF-100K, and it says 80W into 8ohms, which wouldnt power my sub enough...

What amp were you looking at? Given the price of these, if you need more output, you'd probably do better spending the dollar difference on a more efficient woofer (or multiple drivers to raise efficiency). At $35 each and packaged 2 to a box, buy 2 and make 2 woofers, much better for getting smooth in-room bass.

dave

Because the sub should/will use a separate amplifier matching impedance is inconsequential. With any of these -- or any of the other 3" mentioned -- you'll have a single FR as a satelite. By default they match.

Oh okay.
Well if i dont get a plate amp (i wasnt originally planning to) i might hook it up to my 200W 2Ch. Amp. But if its alot better to get plate amps i will, for at least one, keeping it in my budget hopefully. (ill elaborate later)

If you dig a bit deeper you'll also find that the Aura is available in silver or black cone, 4 or 8 ohms. You choose the impedance best suited to your amplifier.

Okay, thanks, ill look for them :D

In a multi-way with a passive XO, mixing impedance is OK, you just have to consider the match with your amplifier. And one also has to consider that the nominal impedance is just that nominal. The impedance of a driver is rarely defineable with a single number.

Can i ask what a Passive XO is? is that the same as a Passive Crossover?
If i only hook up the sub in the enclosure do i still need one?

Depends. Room, preference, driver, tolerance to group delay. I tend to avoid vented woofers. My current woofer build will be a pair of sealed push-push CSS SDX10. If you want to put a hole in the box, a transmission line or tapped horn would be my preference.

Ah okay, well maybe i will try it with both just to see. :rolleyes:

What amp were you looking at? Given the price of these, if you need more output, you'd probably do better spending the dollar difference on a more efficient woofer (or multiple drivers to raise efficiency). At $35 each and packaged 2 to a box, buy 2 and make 2 woofers, much better for getting smooth in-room bass.

well i already have a 200W Amp i can hook these up to right now.
If i bought two of those for two of the subwoofer im looking at, wouldnt they underpower it?
Do you have another sub that would be better you could recommend?

dave[/QUOTE]

Also, overall my budget is $100-$150 for the two woofers and extended range speakers. including if i need plate amps or crossovers... knowing that do you have a different suggestion?
I have a 200W Receiver/Amp that i can use just for the two woofers/Ext. Range speakers, thats what i was planning to do so i wouldnt have to buy a plate amp, what do you think?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.