DIY Schumann resonator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I began researching the Schumann resonance, I originally referenced this thread, so I am bringing new findings here. I have built every prototype listed in this thread. In my personal experience, none of these circuits work. In some cases, they are only supplying picoamps of current to the bifilar coil. Driving such a weak signal surely broadcasts nowhere and certainly cannot affect humans - cosmic radiation has more energy.

In order to properly build a Schumann resonator, you must drive 2 signals through each end of a bifilar coil. For example one frequency could be 1000 hz, and the other would be 1007.8 hz. The 1000 Hz wave cancels in the bifilar coil and the result is a 7.83 hz wave. This is exactly how binaural beats work. The catch is that the signals must be driven precisely in tune with each other - meaning that the phase must be corrected actively during operation.. In this configuration, it is easy to use a power mosfet to switch significant current through the bifilar coil.

I will not say more as I do not wish to reveal my complete design at this time. Good luck :)

Edit: Subjectively speaking, my wife and I display enhanced behaviors that would be considered to be Alpha brain wave activity. AKA "closed eye relaxation." Perhaps this mental state allows us to better appreciate music?

It is important to distinguish between two types of wave you mention, because they are different in nature and their respective effect. The acoustic binaural waves stimulate the brain, while the Schumann resonator transmits electromagnetic waves which affect and harmonize all bioelectrical fields and therefore the entire human body.
Also, the 7,83Hz frequency, provided that you tuned it well, is more in Theta than Alpha waves range.

Magnetic Form Resonance by Flanagan

Mr Pup mentioned that he has G Patrick Flanagan's booklet, Magnetic Form Resonance, in pdf format. But I don't know that he's on here anymore. The booklet is out of print, if anyone here has a copy they can sell me, or a pdf or photocopy they can send me (I'll pay for it, of course), please let me know. I had a copy and lost it in a move.

Yes. I was having problems of some losing the frequency and destabilising after some time. They need some extra capacitance. On one new batch of Ne555 i just couldnt regulate them properly at all. I use a source follower mosfet to drive a small 2x9v trafo antiparallel. The chip could not drive the low impedance directly.

Perhaps the highest quality forum response I've read to date.

c9f8adM.jpg

Could be oscillating. I found this a common problem if the chip is not set up correctly. Is it using the 555 timer chip? I see a lot of extra components, mainly caps and resisitors, compared to mine. I see a pot. Perhaps you could tweak that and see what it is doing to the output.

Last edited:
There was a lot of discussion on the "scientific" justification and a lot of flaming since I started this thread. Much like discussions on cables sound differences etc. The issue here is firstly that it is extremely easy and cheap to build even for a beginner - so there is not much to lose-and secondly that if it "works" for the person that built it then that is all that matters.
All the rest is opinion and gossip which can be fun but do not impact the above.
As I mentioned in the beginning quite a number of audiophile friends found the effects tangible and reported similar type of experiences that many in this thread reported as well. I find it interesting that many describe in different words very similar experiences. Not just "this is better".

Made a few simple versions with a 555 timer.
With a self wound antenna. Looks a lot like the ebay version.
Even tried it with a little 3 watt audio amplifier after the 555.
No luck either. It was possible to set the frequency at 7.83 Hz,
but no effect.
Do you have a schematic and photo of yours please?

Let me check. But essentially I followed the ne555 sheet and at the output of the 555 is a bog standard mosfet follower. You got me interested in this again and I ordered some ne555 's . I need to make a couple more since the ideal is between two and three units. i had ordered some 555's from china but they would not work at all. Now I ordered from what I hope is a better european seller. It would be interesting if you could trace the RR schematic from the pcb. I see from pictures that the power smoothing is with some capacitance and I see some diodes or zeners there? Then there a lot of resistors a pot and quite a few small caps probably to decouple the chip? Is it a 555? And then I see a transistor at the output.

Could your 3 watt amp drive 7.83 hz?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.