DIY Schumann resonator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having read some positive reviews about the effect these resonators have on the audio experience I wanted to try to make a diy version to see for myself instead of spending "the long green" on the expensive Acoustic Revive or other models.
Now I understand these are based on a freq of 7.83hz so I was thinking as a starting point why not get a simple function generator like this
Function Generator Kit : TR Kits : Maplin
and connect it to an inductor or coil directly or through a buffer.This would transmit this frequency magnetically to the room.
Would this work? Or is it more (or less)complicated?
I guess some radio hams would know the answer.

You don't need all th ecomplexity of a function gene, a simple NE555 will work perfectly and be powerful enough to make a good ELF ER gene.

But using a coil will not work - ER doesn't use a magnetic firld, you need a scalar field and that's best and easist to do with a cancelled magnetic field. Just take a two winding transformer and wire the two coils "backwards" so their magnetic fields cancel - works a treat.

Regards, Allen

If they cancel then what is radiated?
In a well researched clinical study
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDL/is_3_10/ai_n18616484/?tag=content;col1
on the effects of the schumann resonances on patients suffering from Chronic fatigue syndrome it says the following:
" EM radiations contain five quantities: the velocity of propagation, the electric and magnetic fields, and the electric scalar and the magnetic vector potentials. (21) EM potentials are generated by destructive interference of two EM fields of equal magnitude but out of phase by 180[degrees]. The information contained in the EM fields still exists in the EM potential, but hidden from detection by available EM measuring devices. However, EM potential energy results in biological effects in vitro and clinical effects in vivo. (21,22) If the EM potential information is imprinted into water by exposing water to the EM potential, further incubation of biological materials with this imprinted water will result in biological effects similar to those observed when these biological materials are exposed directly to the EM potentials. (22) Obviously, this observation has great clinical implications, since water could serve as a cartier of beneficial and harmful frequencies. Of interest is the observation that EM field information cannot be imprinted in water. Only the magnetic vector potential possesses this property. (21) Probably because of this property of EM potentials, transfer of bioinformation occurs via EM potentials not EM fields. "
So here it is mentioning two freq but 180 degrees out of phase.(Have to look up scalar field.This is new territory for me.)
So are we talking about creating two frequencies and partially cancelling them to give a sum of 7.83hz or one frequency?
From what I understand from your post Allen you have tested this yourself and output this one freq to two opposing windings of a transformer.Is this this a sine wave and what powers are we talking about?The study mentions 12 mw as ideal.
However looking at the acoustic revive innards I see a pcb with square helical type of pattern of copper which I assume is an antenna etched on the pcb so no coil/s there.

Last edited:
I have listened to a unit sold by another company (not
Revive) though they claim to be selling the same design but in a smaller case. I have listened to two of these in two different (homes) systems with similar results. This unit is smaller than the Revive and though I have not looked inside I cannot see how it could have the same size of coil seen in the Revive. I wondered if a simple ferrite dipole antenna similar to the kind used in portable radios would work as well? Just a thought. The unit seen at the 6-moons site would seem to be a 555 timer from the appearance and simplicity of the design. Regards Moray James.

I have also listened to a unit based on a 555 and a coil. In fact two units with minor differences in construction - one used a toroidal mains transformer. The effect was immediately audible and both units sounded distinctly different. Not sure if i really liked what it did but the mere audibility really impressed me. Could the effect be due to EMI?

Interesting. As much as i expected some controversy in this thread, scalar waves seem a bit extreme. The devices i've seen definetly use a coil of about 10cm diameter and probably 8-10m wire length. Seems improbably short for the wavelength concerned and i even wonderded if coupling through to the mains wiring was not a more effective antenna. My RF understanding is really sketchy but i thought similarly low frequencies were well studied in submarine communications.

Interesting input from both sides.
But that is why I thought it would be a nice experiment -so I could decide for myself and not spend extravagant sums.
However if you guys read the clinical study which is very professional by somebody very well respected in clinical circles you have scientific "proof" -double blind and all that stuff that scientists like -that these things really work. We are just nor sure why they work.

Would that be the same person that wrote this?

Guy E. Abraham, MD; Souhaila A. McReynolds; Joel S. Dill, PhD
Optimox Corporation, Torrance, California

Abstract

In order to evaluate the effect of colloidal metallic gold on cognitive functions, the revised Wechsler Intelligence scales battery of tests (WAIS-R) was administered to 5 subjects aged 15 to 45 years, before, after 4 weeks on colloidal gold at 30 mg/day and again 1 to 3 months off the gold preparation. The WAIS-R total scores (I.Q) were calculated by adding the sum of the verbal test scores to the sum of the performance scores. After 4 weeks on colloidal gold, there was a 20% increase in I.Q scores with mean + SE of 112.8 + 2.3 pre gold and 137 + 3.8, post gold (p <0.005). Both the performance and verbal test scores contributed equally to this increase in I.Q scores. The effect of the colloidal gold persisted in 3 subjects after 1 to 2 month off gold, where as in 2 subjects who took the tests 3 months after stopping the gold , I.Q scores were down to baseline levels.

And works here?

http://www.optimox.com/

I would think that a pulse generator would work for this device and the 555 seems to be what the commercial crowd is using. So the question then is do you go with a standard square wave with a 50% duty cycle or do you want to narrow the duty cycle to a fairly sharp pulse? I was thinking that a reverse saw tooth wave might be interesting to try providing some decay to the (sharp) pulse. I suppose that the best way to know is to try them out and see what they feel like. A sine wave would also be interesting. Any other thoughts? The 555 would seem to be the easiest and least expensive way to go for this project. Allen's suggestion of the two winding transformer works for me, simple and easy. A level control for the output or the supply voltage would provide intensity adjustment. Since it has been kindly pointed out that this is a silly project perhaps those who agree will permit those foolish enough to proceed to do so in peace?

So the question then is do you go with a standard square wave with a 50% duty cycle or do you want to narrow the duty cycle to a fairly sharp pulse?

There is also the possibility to use pin 7 on the 555 as an output if a square wave is to be avoided for some reason. Not sure what the commercial designs use.

Allen's suggestion of the two winding transformer works for me, simple and easy.

Simple and easy indeed. And i don't understand how it works. Can you explain?

Scott,
Your link is appreciated but your comments are not. Have you ever tried such a configuration? I bet not.

It makes very observable physiological effect on the body, my wife can tell when I turn on my sample from anywhere in the house, and if it's on "high" she almost runs and says "Turn that thing OFF!"

When on very "low" she appreciates the effect.

And if you want to take up your disagreement with the reversed windings idea, take it up with Patrick Flanagan - he's who I got the idea from.

Regards, Allen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.