portable 12v power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know there's been other threads about this, but this isn't for a car and I think my needs are a bit different.

I'm building a guitar synth and realized that it required a 12v power supply. Everything up to now that I've done has been 9v, so the battery option was pretty easy. I'd like this thing to be portable, so an adjustable worktop power supply isn't something I'm interested in. I'd prefer it be something I could fit in the housing (about 12"x16"x2"). A friend of mine found some DIY stomp box kit that came with both battery and AC adaptor included, giving him the option to plug in at home and not waste batteries, but the option to use a battery on stage when power plugs aren't always available. Something like that would be great, but I can't find what I'm looking for. I can't even find a supplier of AC adaptor jacks. Any ideas?

Recharging NiCd or NiMH or LiIon is relatively complicated. Gel cells (sealed lead-acid) are much easier to charge correctly... just apply around 14 volts and limit the current. (Read the data sheet or application notes.) SLA batteries can be had in a variety of sizes; any general electronics supplier should have a selection.

"I can't even find a supplier of AC adaptor jacks. Any ideas? "

You mean the connector your wall wart plugs into? "DC power connector" is what they are called. If Radio Shack doesn;t have them on the wall hanging, certainly Mouser has tons. PC mount, panel mount, whatever. Typical wall wart sizes are 5.5mm Outside diameter, and 2.1mm or 2.5mm inner pin diameter.

Like this panel mount example from Mouser
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-301074.pdf

And from Jameco, ever the project parts people
www.jameco.com Try these stock numbers
101178 pc mount

And while I mostly buy speaker related stuff from PArts Express, they have a selection of "DC coaxial jacks."
Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Speaker Building, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio, Electronic Parts & Accessories PARTS EXPRESS, Speakers, Speaker Parts, Guitar speakers, Bass speakers, Woofers, Drivers, speaker upgrades and replacement speakers. Emine stock 090-479 panel mount for example

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Any of these would let you use a regular old wall wart for the unit most of the time, and use the power connector's cutout contact to switch over to batteries for stage use - just like the battery/adaptor function of many many effect pedals or small personal keyboards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.