Help- Screw turning in speaker mounting hole

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble getting out the top two screws from my 8" driver. The screws keep turning in their hole. They don't slide out, and they are not getting screwed in anymore either. They just keep turning.

I've tried turning the cabinet in all directions. Tried ejecting them with helper screwdrivers. Nothing is working.

I had used the hurricane nuts from PE on the back side of the baffle.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks Cal! Tried prying it, but I can't get any traction on the hurricane nut. It is rotating with the screw. I have a fairly large opening down in the bottom. This is a folded voight pipe cabinet. I can get my hand through the bottom opening but I can't get it to the nut from the inside.

Sounds like once you get the speaker out of the way, the bolt would be easy to extract from the rear, if it had no head.

Got Dremel? A carbide cutoff wheel in your Dremel would shave the head off the screw. Grind away the head and pull the speaker off over it. Then pull the nut/screw out the back. If your speaker is OK and to be reused, then apply liberal tape around the screw head to help protect the finish on the speaker flange.

You could chuck a small cutoff wheel into a power drill motor if you lack a Dremel. A lack of Dremel tools is a sure sign of civilization passing you by.

Looking at the pictures, hurricane nuts appear to be like T-nuts without the teeth. If your hole strips, those tiny barbs have nothing to catch. Look up "T-nuts" at PArts Express to compare. For future reference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.