power supple for valve pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Been looking around for ideas on building a pre-amp and while looking into power supplies, I noticed that on a couple of designs, a 220V AC supply is "turned" into 250V DC using a network of diodes, a choke and some smoothing capacitors. One example is the one shown in this site:

OBTAINING 250vDC & 6.3vAC FOR VALVES by Harry Lythall

Does this also imply that you can essentially power a valve amplifier (excluding the heaters) using European mains and the aforementioned diodes-choke-caps circuit? Is it adviseable?

Thank you,
Nikos

Yes. No.

My guess, nobody really wants to get into this because there are loads of safety issues and no-one really wants to encourage you because your post is a bit glib. We don't like glib where mains power is involved. There are legal issues too. All-in-all too much to go into into with someone with a bare grasp of the basics. 240VAC will give you plenty of DC to operate a valve but in general you should not operate any device other than a simple resistive load direct from the mains without an isolating transformer.

w

Last edited:
Yes. No.

My guess, nobody really wants to get into this because there are loads of safety issues and no-one really wants to encourage you because your post is a bit glib. We don't like glib where mains power is involved. There are legal issues too. All-in-all too much to go into into with someone with a bare grasp of the basics. 240VAC will give you plenty of DC to operate a valve but in general you should not operate any device other than a simple resistive load direct from the mains without an isolating transformer.

w

If you check the link he posted, you will see he does use a transformer.

No, the difference is not significant in this case. Lots of components used in valve circuits have tolerances of 5%. 1-in-22 is less than 5%. Depending on the design your last requirement may be to tweak some values for best performance once things are running, almost certainly you will want to check what quiescent currents you have ended up with.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.