Learning to be an audio tech?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, been on the forums a bit, but I haven't really figured out where to ask this, so I will ask here and hope I get some good answers :)

In a nutshell, I would like to learn how to become a good hands-on audio tech - with a view to testing, measuring and servicing audio equipment and ultimately possibly designing or modding my own stuff.

I have a basic knowledge of electronics and am not afraid of maths, but my technical 'skills' are pretty ****-poor right now. I suck at soldering. I don't have any test equipment or hardly any of the tools of the trade.

What I'd like to learn initially are two things - how to test and carry out basic repairs to audio amplifiers, and I would like to learn the theory of audio circuit design - amp circuits, filters, cross-overs, etc. I'd like to look inside an amp and be able to understand what I'm seeing there. What I'm hoping for is the Single Magic Textbook that explains everything in huge detail, all in one volume or set of volumes - and preferably in SI units! But, I'm open to other resources. I don't mind learning from hands-on experience but I can't afford to wreck stuff in the process!

So what do you guys recommend? Oh, a college/nightschool course is out of the question, though maybe a home-study/online-only course might be ok.

Hi Doomlord_uk.

Soldering is a practice thing, the more you do it the better you will get at it.

Buy some cheap stripboard and a big bag of the cheapest resistors you can get to practice with. Cleanliness is the key, buy a pcb cleaning rubber and some tip cleaner as your first tool purchases. An iron stand with a wet sponge will serve you well also.

Cricklewood Electronics - CCTV. CCTV Equipment. CCTV Systems. Digital CCTV Cameras

Give the iron tip a wipe on the sponge before every joint. Also when you plug your iron in, walk away and make a pot of tea. That way the iron is hot, if you sit there looking at it you are sure to use it before it is up to temperature. That will make the job harder than it needs to be.

For some good reading try these.......
Elliott Sound Products - DIY Audio Articles
Decibel Dungeon DIY hi-fi index.

Start with a little light reading on components to get a feel of what things do rather than trying to work out a huge complex diagram in one go. This page for example..
Beginners' Guide to Electronics, Part 1 - Basic Components Explained

You've found the most useful information source already, there's years worth of reading and learning to be had right here.

John

Troubleshooting is a universal skill. You can apply it to most anything. But in the service game, I'd have to say there is a difference between professional audio, and hifi and consumer audio. I mean circuits are circuits, sure, but the equipment is used differently and the goals are different. pro audio is things like guitar amps, PA systems, recording systems. COnsumer/hifi is things in the home - stereos, home theater, etc. SO you might find some divergent resources covering those two domains. May I assume your interest is in one over the other?

Doomlord, I have read some of your posts and would have never guessed that you were looking for entry level information!
Anyway try:
"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz & Hill
"Troubleshooting Analog Circuits" by Robert A. Pease
"Op-Am Applications" by Walt Jung, on-line (maybe) at Analog Devices

Speedskater - I actually studied two years of an Electronic Systems Engineering degree at uni (before dropping out :( ). It was mostly digital stuff though - we did basic analogue circuits, op amps etc but it was heavy on the theory. If someone showed me a basic amplifier circuit I think I could understand it :) I just want to know where I can get stuck into that level of study...

That said, it's good to go over the material from a practical perspective so even reading about power dissipation in resistors is a good thing, even just as a reminder.

Btw, Horrowitz and Hill is a book I've owned since 1995, but never really studied... to my shame! Pease looks good - could be just what I'm looking for!

THanks!

Umm, I have an Adcom pre-amp question that you might be interested in. GTP-600(Adcom) one of the pots, marked "tone in" needs to be replaced, anything you recommend? I will post this on the other one. however, if you know the part number, or a simple fix, that would be nice.

Only today I watched some video's on YouTube made by JohnAudioTech. His approach is calm and systematic test of many of the cheap boards we discuss on this forum. For newcomers in DIY electronics, these videos give a good introduction on how to evaluate such amplifier boards before starting yourself. His tests will suggest many of the popular and cheap boards such that you can choose your next amplifier project on a more qualified basis.

Last edited:
I was a bench tech in the 80's and moved to the engineering side of the house in the 90's. I wanted to get back into bench work and decided to look for lower end audio gear that needed work. I picked up some nice gear, like Kenwood, Realistic, etc. Most had very minor problems, so I recapped some, replaced lamps with LED's. In some cases, I would build a small rectifier circuit to run the LED's from an AC source off the transformer. In some cases, i broke the unit worse and then had a nice troubleshooting project. I have access to a lot of high end test gear from work which helped before i acquired most of what I use. The low end units became gifts to friends. I traded a refurbished HK amplifier for a broken receiver and amp. I created a craigslist ad looking for vintage audio gear, especially broken stuff. I got a reply and purchased a clean Marantz 2215 that didn't power up. It had a minor broken solder joint on the power supply board. I paid $40 for the receiver and repaired it for $0. The previous owner recapped the amp and power supply with high quality parts. I may recap the tuner and align it. These amps and receivers are a hobby for me and putting a few bucks into each thing is for the experience and not a profit.

Hi Doomlord_uk.

Soldering is a practice thing, the more you do it the better you will get at it.

John

I have soldered for about 40 years but still have problems occasionally.

I recently got a SMD pcb made with a 100 pin SMD IC on it.
I drag soldered the pins but the solder just blobbed and barely melted.
So tried to remove the IC and couldnt get the solder to melt with my hot air gun.

Turned out to be cheap and nasty solder from China. Melting point far too high. So, I bought some decent stuff from RS Components and that worked a treat.
Hadnt had trouble with Chinese solder before, must have been unlucky and got one from a bad batch.
Still learned my lesson and dont skimp on solder.
Sadly had to bin the first pcb and IC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.