Help with first 12v ac out toroidal transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Sorry to be asking so many questions but I'm new to diy electronics.

My question is regarding toroidal transformers. I need a 12v ac output to power a diykits.com.hk clock and don't know where to start. I will be purchasing a toroidal from Farnells so if anyone can point me in the direction of a item on the site (item number?) and how to wire the primary/secondaries to get 12v ac then that would be fantastic.

Thank you

Either of these ought to do. I dont know the power consumption of he clock, but I guess its not very high:

MULTICOMP|MCTA015/06|TRANSFORMER, 15VA, 2 X 6V | Farnell United Kingdom

BLOCK|RK15/6|TRANSFORMER, 15VA, 2 X 6V | Farnell United Kingdom

You need to wire the primaries in series for 230V input:
If you get the "sense" of the primaries wrong you'll get no output, so test each 6V winding with a voltmeter or car bulb for voltage, once you've wired up the primaries. If no output, swap the wires to ONE primary around.

Be careful - the 230V wiring is an electrocution hazard! Wire it up without plugging it in. THEN only plug in, and DON'T touch anything while it is plugged in. If mods have to be made, unplug it completely first!

Then, wire the secondaries in series for 12v output. Agin, if the sense of one winding is wrong, no output, so check the 12v total with a meter or car bulb. If nothing, swap one of the secondary windings around.

Either of these ought to do. I dont know the power consumption of he clock, but I guess its not very high:

MULTICOMP|MCTA015/06|TRANSFORMER, 15VA, 2 X 6V | Farnell United Kingdom

BLOCK|RK15/6|TRANSFORMER, 15VA, 2 X 6V | Farnell United Kingdom

You need to wire the primaries in series for 230V input:
If you get the "sense" of the primaries wrong you'll get no output, so test each 6V winding with a voltmeter or car bulb for voltage, once you've wired up the primaries. If no output, swap the wires to ONE primary around.

Be careful - the 230V wiring is an electrocution hazard! Wire it up without plugging it in. THEN only plug in, and DON'T touch anything while it is plugged in. If mods have to be made, unplug it completely first!

Then, wire the secondaries in series for 12v output. Agin, if the sense of one winding is wrong, no output, so check the 12v total with a meter or car bulb. If nothing, swap one of the secondary windings around.

Excellent reply. Thank you for your time. I'll order the 9530231 and go from there.

Thanks again,
Ant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.