Enclosure construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking for suitable enclosures for a couple of projects that I was working on, I needed four of different sizes, the commercially made ones that I had short-listed were a bit too much for the available budget, so I got thinking how I could build something like I wanted myself, I ended up with some readily available off the shelf extrusions and AutoCAD and came up with this:

The Concept

Attachments

• Box.JPG
    Box.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 680
  • Box 2.JPG
    Box 2.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 643
Construction

Early stages of manufacture, the extrusions are cut, the back and face plates I used are 3mm thick as that's all I had laying around, you could make these more chunky if required
The fixing holes are drilled and tapped

Attachments

• IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4287.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 624
Small box

The small box shown here is for a Rod Elliott RIAA pre-amplifier, the circuit board complete ready for standoffs and wiring.
This box is ~100mm (4”) square x 50mm high

The length of the outer casings are purposely made longer than the width of the inner channel chassis so that when you tighten the screws, it clamps together. The inner channel chassis is the same extrusion as the case, with one side sawn off.

Attachments

• Small box.JPG
    Small box.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 245
  • IMGP1876.JPG
    IMGP1876.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 301
Bit more progress

These are the other three;

1. An old project of mine an Elektor Class A headphone amp that I build many moons ago, (circa 1983!) its a perfect fit in the new chassis, note the tags left on the back to heatsink the output transistors and the large hole in the faceplate to recess the control knob. I plan some hidden LED's in there to light up around the knob

2. Is a Tripath amp board sitting in its new chassis, the board is missing a few parts while it's being upgraded.

3. ls a passive pre-amp / input selector, I plan a Lightspeed Attenuator for this one!

The plan is to get the main bodies powdercoated (don't know what colour yet) and fix the backs and faces with some M4 stainless steel socket head cap screws

I'll post more pictures as the project progresses

Attachments

• IMGP1874.JPG
    IMGP1874.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMGP1875.JPG
    IMGP1875.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMGP1873.JPG
    IMGP1873.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 262
Aluminium supply

Hi Tony,

The extrusions, 150 x 50 x 3mm and 100 x 50 x 3mm I bought from a local alloy supplier (Capral) The 150 x 50 x 3 was about A$25/M and the smaller one, 100 x 50 x 3 was about A$18/M
The 3mm sheet I had laying around, I think you would pay about A$40/M² for 3mm sheet

Although I planned to use nutserts, I just drilled and tapped the extrusion instead.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.. Steve

Hello audi0,
I like your ingenuity!

I've CAD'd up some boxes for a Firstwatt F5. The design is pretty simple and uses the Conrad heatsinks as the main support structure. Once I finalise the design, I see what price a local metal fabricator will cut up the aluminum plate for me.

Cheers,

alex

Heatsinks

Hello audi0,
I like your ingenuity!

I've CAD'd up some boxes for a Firstwatt F5. The design is pretty simple and uses the Conrad heatsinks as the main support structure. Once I finalise the design, I see what price a local metal fabricator will cut up the aluminum plate for me.

Cheers,

alex

Hi Alex,

Actually I have a passively cooled audio computer in very early stages of construction, I was thinking of using Altronics diecast heatsinks (H05450) as part of the structure, great minds....

Conrad

Hello audi0,
I like your ingenuity!

Cheers,

alex

Hey Alex,

I just checked the Conrad web site, I think the Altronics item might be a Conrad product

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.