Veneering Technique for curved edges.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I was recently looking at the Totem acoustic loudspeakers and was wondering how those cabinets are veneering while having curved (routered) front edges. I'm not aware of how this is done, if anyone has a DIY it would be much appreciated.

Regards
Juggy

Cal Weldon said:
Thin veneer and a steam iron?

Provided that you're only curving in one direction, yes the wood glue ironing method works like a charm. You can even wrap around 45 degree beveled edges in the long grain direction.

You do need to practice your technique around curves - even though the iron-on method is imminently easier than contact cement, air bubbles and wrinkles are still possible.

Don't try to use solvent based adhesives (contact or otherwise) with paper backed or natural veneers if your finishes or top coats will include alcohol or solvent based carriers.

"Don't try to use solvent based adhesives (contact or otherwise) with paper backed or natural veneers if your finishes or top coats will include alcohol or solvent based carriers."

Do try hide glue. Not the stuff in a bottle, but the stuff you get in
"pearl" form and heat up yourself. Do yourself a favor and avoid
paper backed veneers. They don't stand the test of time IME.

Veneer san be curved in both directions (compound) with heat, moisture,
and patience.

A vacuum bag might be a good clamping device depending on the size
and shape parts.

I'm too lazy to do google research to find the speakers you mention,
next time a link would make it easier for folks to follow (unless
everyone but me knows about Totam acoustic..)

Cheers,

Michael

Michael:

http://www.totemacoustic.eu/english/index.htm

"new and improved" website

FWIW, I've veneered quite a few pairs of enclosures over the past 10yrs or so, using paper and 2ply wood backed veneers and the iron-on method with yellow wood glue (as opposed to hide glue).
It's almost as quick a contact cement, yet allows for accurate alignment for continuous grain wrapping, and aside from air bubbles and wrinkles from inattention /lack of complete ironing pressure, I've yet to have any failures.

No doubt there's a special art to working with "real"/solid veneers - on the few occasions I've tried, I've had big issues with splitting, and grain matching of flitches on larger panels.

To be honest, it's due to laziness and impatience to learn the required skills that explains the evolution of my personal design aesthetic.

thanks for the link

I didn't see any curved veneer but I didn't look at all ~40 models of
loudspeakers on the Totem website...

I think the beveled fronts are probably solid at least for the thickness
of the bevel.

Chris:
I've heard of the yellow glue-and-iron method, but after a failed
experiment with paper backed veneer I decided to stick with tried
and true pearl hide glue. I'm using it on musical instruments, though
(harp soundboards and decorative inlay) so I would guess a speaker
cabinet would be somewhat less demanding.

A hot roller would be useful. I often heat a section up with the iron,
then immediately so over it with a roller and high pressure. Sometimes
one needs to make a little slit along the grain to let air escape.

Iguess I was imagining something like a B&W with veneer :bigeyes:

My wife's a furniture maker (unfortunately speaker cabinets don't come under HER definition of furniture) and I know she tends to often use solid wood edges in the same wood as the veneer used on the rest of the piece. If executed well, it's often difficult to pick with the untrained eye.

I agree completely that the corners in the picture linked to are actually solid wood and rounded over. There is a telltale line running vertically for to far a distance that is parallel to the edge.

That being said the advice on veneering the corners round is good. It is done routinely and it works well.

Mark

23 years making saw dust in a cabinet shop.

I recommend against DIY veneer softener, but softener *IS* what you're asking for. I use the product available at veneersupplies.com

Don't waste your time with the DIY product. Spend a couple bucks and you'll be pleased you did.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/video/softener.wmv

Hello,

I was recently looking at the Totem acoustic loudspeakers and was wondering how those cabinets are veneering while having curved (routered) front edges. I'm not aware of how this is done, if anyone has a DIY it would be much appreciated.

Regards
Juggy

Last edited:
I recommend against the common DIY veneer softener, but softener *IS* what you're asking for. I use the product available at veneersupplies.com

http://www.veneersupplies.com/video/softener.wmv

Hello,

Regards
Juggy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.