Tips for drilling Large Holes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use a drill press and properly secure your work. If a drill press is beyond your budget then try a vise or clamping to a workbench. Also, rather than trying to drill one big hole all in one shot. Try drilling one or more pilot holes in increasing sizes.

Regards,
Dan :)

For large hole drilling i use a drill like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I sharp the edges on the spinning stone to make them sharp. It works fine. I did my XLR (26 mm ??) in 6mm of aluminum. You should use some coolant to cool the metal. Also with large drill use the lowest RPM's on you drilling machine.

And other methode is to use point-welding drills like:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But i don't know if the are there in your size. But also here is you have a drill bit that's large enough you can grind it to the point welding shape like in the picture above.

Center punches are sweet for larger holes...pretty pricey for a set of common sizes, though :(

Depends on the material.

If dealing with aluminum, the punches I got at the dollar store have been working great now for a year..... especially since they are the EXACT same brand as found for 50 times more ($49.95 compared to $1) at the local hardware store :spin:

Or did you mean chassis punches? If so, one word - Ebay :cool:

Cheers!

The hole punch idea sounds nice. What kind of tools do I need? Anyone wanna point me to a tutorial? Thanks.

You need about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch drill bit - depending on final hole size, and a shifting spanner.
The punch comes in three parts: a sharp cutter, a cup, and the bolt.
You bolt the cutter to the cup - each on opposite sides of the sheet - with the bolt, which goes through the pilot hole you drilled.
Then you tighten the bolt until the cutter is forced into the cup, cutting a perfect hole in the sheet as it goes. When you are done, you disassemble the punch and take out a washer-like disc of metal that it has cut out.

http://za.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0543557

These are not expensive - this one is around $12. Bigger ones obviously more expensive.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
For large hole drilling i use a drill like this:

I sharp the edges on the spinning stone to make them sharp. It works fine. I did my XLR (26 mm ??) in 6mm of aluminum. You should use some coolant to cool the metal. Also with large drill use the lowest RPM's on you drilling machine.

And other methode is to use point-welding drills like:

But i don't know if the are there in your size. But also here is you have a drill bit that's large enough you can grind it to the point welding shape like in the picture above.

Wow. I dont think this is very safe advice for drilling metal of any kind.

I really would suggest you follow the advice further up this thread. To summarize:-

1. use a drill press and make sure your work is clamped well clamped to the drill press work surface or
2. make sure your work is well clamped if using a hand drill
3. start with a small drill diameter and work upwards with bigger drill bits to your final hole diameter
4. Use slowest drill speed - especially for aluminium
5. Use some cutting fluid - it works and makes a big difference (some 3-in -1 oil also works well)
6. Best solution: Drill press and a stepped cutter. Second best solution: hand drill and a stepped cutter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.