Cleaning up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got in a real "smoker" of a Crown IC-150a the other day. The nicotine stains on the anodized aluminum were such that it looked as if they made a model with a bronzed front panel.

Taking a few tablespoons of TSP-pf (sodium silicate) in warm water and a soft cloth removed the nicotine effortlessy. What is surprising is that the front panel looks as if the preamplifier is brand new.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Completely different type of cleaning, but if you want good joints when soldering, rubbing the component legs with a bit of 400 grit wet and dry sandpaper and then a wipe with a little alcohol before putting them into your board will work wonders. Takes a bit of time to do every component, but a lot less time than troubleshooting a cricuit that isn't working properly due to a bad solder joint :)

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Any risk of damaging active components with this method?

I guess there is a risk if they are static sensitive... but just handling them has a risk, so if your ground yourself at your workbench probably no biggy :) I just give them a very light rub to remove any oxidation that may have formed on the component legs :) I never used to do it, but when I started it made a big difference.

Tony.

TSP-pf

I love the oxymoronic marketing of products like this... sort of like Pseudofed-PE, which can't be used to make meth, but supposedly has all the benefits of the original... except it's a different compound altogether...

Isn't it great living in the US of A...;):D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.