• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry, I don't understand your answer :

MY question is, can I use the SMPS250QR or may be the connexelectronic A350SMPS or any other one power supplies with my 4 x 100W tk2050 t-amp ? I suppose I need around 350 W, 24 V and 16.4 A : for example I don't found any amperage indication for the SMPS250QR and I don't know if it's important (I suppose it is :eek:).

The posts on pages 11-12 answer your question. :cool: The power supplies currently available from Connex can be modified to produce the single output voltage required by the Hifimediy and Sure boards (as opposed to dual +/- voltages). But it'd be easier to wait for Cristi to finish the new SMPS, which won't require any mods.

I agree that the Meanwell S-350 power supply is bulky and hard to fit inside even a medium-sized case. So a smaller, more flexible SMPS would fill an important niche in the DIY audio market. :)

The A1000SMPS has the default output voltage in range of +-45 to +-60V. on request, other voltage values can be provided, up to +-90V DC. also, the SMPS2000R can provide such voltages, from +-40V to more than +-100V. for this, the output voltage must be confirmed upon order, since depends on the transformer turns ratio, and can be adjusted about 10% from the value which was set.

Hi Cristi, I think that many DIYers would welcome a cheaper lower power single voltage SMPS (perhaps 200 - 300W), especially those who use amp boards from Hifimediy (30V for smaller stereo amps, 48V for T3 amp). Maybe you could make some deal with Nick122147 and sell these SMPS to him in batches so he could resell them with amp modules from hifimediy.com shop. It would be convenient for buyers as they could order both amps and SMPS' from one source and save a bit on postage fees.

Also maybe your existing dual voltage +-24V A350SMPS could be used as single voltage 48V power source?

Just thinking loud...

A 200-300 watt, single-voltage SMPS would be a fantastic idea if it cost significantly less than its 500 watt cousin. However, since the least expensive Connex SMPS is $50/40€, I wonder whether the price would be all that much lower. The Meanwell S-350 will still win on cost per watt at $30, and if you're paying extra for a Connex supply you might as well pay a bit more for the additional headroom. :D

But yeah, a package deal would be a great way to get this SMPS into the hands of more of Hifimediy's users. Or maybe a link on his webpage would be enough. :cool:

Thanks for the proposal.
i was considering this aspect, of making lower power SMPS's, 50W, 100W, 150W, 200W. but as you pointed out, the so called "Meanwell" might beat the price at low power. that's also because of their let's say mysterious provenience, if you just take a look at their website you might have the surprise to discover that some models doesn't even exist, but they are still available from various sellers, and ebay is fluded with them. that's because some discovered that a product can sell better if wear a brand name, not necessary legitimate, and they are doing this. some are sold on ebay at 1/3 of the Meanwell catalog price. the surprise come when someone has 2 of them, one genuine and one from that category described above. you will notice the technological advance which made-it possible to get the stated performances with half number or size components compared to a genuine one.
so, i consider making some smaller SMPS's but i will put quality first, not the price. they will be cheaper than the ones which i have now, but i cannot guarantee that will be same or lower price than "meanwell's"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.