Burning Amp 2021 - Oct 16 & 17th, Fort Mason SF

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Mark,

This definitely fits into such a discussion; in fact, this is a form of crossfeed.

In the more general case, the crossfeed amplitude is a function of frequency and frequency response slope, in recognition of intra-aural delay and frequency response. In some cases, there may even be electronic delay introduced into the crossfeed path by means of all-pass delay circuits.

In the very early days of FM stereo, I had an EICO FM stereo autodapter to connect to my monophonic EICO HFT-90 FM tuner. The tuner had a separate wideband output without de-emphasis in anticipation of the availability of FM stereo. The multiplex adapter (implemented with tubes) had a conspicuous knob on the front panel labeled "separation" that controlled the mix of L+R and L-R to achieve optimum separation. This is a little reminiscent of the approach you described. Of course, this was in the context of loudspeaker listening as opposed to headphone listening.

Cheers,
Bob

I would love to hear more about how Headroom (now out of business I believe) implemented crossfeed in the headphone amps from an unbiased expert. It was one of their big selling points iirc. And I also own one of their amps, so I'm being selfish. The info may be on the internet time machine.

THE L+R, L-R was implemented on a continuously varying nob on the Apt Holman preamp, but not for crossfeed purposes. By far its my favorite parameter to play around with just to hear what's going on in the music. Actual listening, I don't use it.

I know of the Headroom headphone amp, but I don't know any of the specifics of how they implemented the crossfeed, other than it is said that they have electronic delay in the crossfeed circuit. I looked quite a bit online for information on the Headroom amp, but there was very little. I was not aware that they may have gone out of business.

Cheers,
Bob

...it's a new chance for us Europeans to partecipate (even if virtually) to this wonderful event.
Maybe when pandemic will be finally over, adding the possibility of taking part online to the event, taking advantage of online platforms that unfortunately we all had to learn to use due to the pandemic...
:cheers:

Well said peppennino! I see this as perhaps an opportunity to expand the BAF format to include more of our friends from around the world. :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
BAF'21 Online Info!

BAF’21 will be online on Saturday & Sunday, the 16th & 17th of October Noon to 3pm PDT (GMT-7) each day.

Ticket information will be released soon. We are working out the Zoom details and will have an Eventbrite link for the access codes. Watch this space!

Confirmed speakers and their preliminary topics:

Saturday: Steven Dear, Audio Perception, Demian Martin, New Tools and Techniques for Audio Measurement, Andrew Jones, Issues in Loudspeaker Design.

Sunday: Michael Rothacher, Weird Amps, Nelson Pass, Current Topics (including a new Build Camp amplifier design).

I am anticipating a lively question and answer session at the end of each presentation.

Stay tuned for further updates! See you there!

-Tom-