What are you bringing to Burning Amp 2019?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I will be partnering up with bk856er to set up a system at BAF 2019, consisting of his AMB γ3 DAC/pre driving my β24 power amp. He will also bring his Seas DIY speakers, Oppo BDP-95 unversal player as source, and other items. I will also bring other pieces to show. He is working on his own β24, so this will be a good opportunity for him to see mine up close for reference.

As bk856er mentioned in another thread, he is having serious health issues and has my total respect for doing all this in spite of the challenges. Kudos and let's all send positive energy his way!

I'm coming to Burning amp and bringing some stuff...

I brought a system last year, and this is an iteration on that. Last year it was a pair of active bookshelf speakers and a sub. I was set up in the Pass room last year, and didn't have to share space with many of you... my amplification didn't survive the trip though, and I ended up borrowing amplification from a gentleman set up nearby, thanks to him!

This year I've changed some drivers and made a new box. This is an active 3 way. The drivers are:
- Dayton Audio TD20F-4 - 3/4" soft dome tweeter
- Peerless / Tymphany TC9FD18-08 - 3.5" fullrange in mid duty
- Peerless / Tymphany SDS-160F25PR01-08 - 6.5" woofer

I think they're in like 10 or 11 liters. Small sealed box, inexpensive drivers, they don't go real deep but they're made to go with a sub.

I did upgrade the sub as well, but the new one is too big to bring. So the old one will come along, it's a OSB sealed box based on one of the 10" surplus NHT drivers (Foster) that were available a while back.

The whole thing is controlled by a computer running MAX / MSP with an application that I made for crossover / EQ. Tascam US-16x08 is the audio interface.

Amplifiers are a variety of chip amps. Some LM4780's I think I picked up last year in the raffle and a pair of LM3875 channels. My tweeter amps are hissing a bit, so if you have 6 channels of amplification you're looking to show off I'd be happy to partner with you.

I also have a Whammy amp (finished it just AFTER last years Burning Amp...) so maybe I'll bring that along with some headphones.

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Attachments

• Active3way.jpg
    Active3way.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 418
I will partnering with fellow member KOHO to set up a system. He is going to bring his field coil back loaded horn speakers. I will taking care of all the amplification that including a TT with a 103R cartridge, a phono stage with LL9226 SUT, a 6V6 grounded cathode line stage and a single ended power amp base on Tubelab's SSE board. The phono stage with two input and able to accommodate another TT with mm cartridge, please with your own interconnect cable and ground wire ready.

I had the pleasure of a doing a beta build for the ACP+ that will be built during Sat's amp camp at BA Ft Mason. Lovely pre/headphone amp...best of all it will power my Pioneer BOFUs (aprx 94 db sensitive) at mid 80s db with vol knob at 3 o'clock DIRECT with no power amp! ...and no clipping....Also tried it with my cans...what an fricken' amp, silent on noise as gutsy as hell....

I look forward to seeing Sat's participants and experience the same joy I've just experienced upon completion and performance..

Thanks Nelson for the design and hard work, Jim (6L6) for the impeccable documenation/guides as always

Hasta Sabado,
Mario

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    908.8 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    993.2 KB · Views: 346
I'll be bringing an MC SUT made with Jensen transformers (we think Jensen) and a pair of VH DIY silver interconnects. Maybe I'll grab my Raspberry Pi with Allo Boss hat too but I have not been able to get it to work outside without my home wifi.

It is just too difficult to travel with anything big.

Oh, nothin'... Just a li'l headphone amp. :)

440 mW into 32 Ω, 660 mW into 50 Ω, 260 mW into 300 Ω at vanishingly low distortion.

I still need to clean up the verbiage on my website and add a few figures, but the overall idea is there and I've opened for preorders. I expect to have them in stock by early/mid-December. I should get a vendor thread going for this one of these days.

I'll have it with me and available for demo on Sunday.

Tom

Attachments

• HP-2_ Multitone Intermodulation Distortion (AP 32-tone, 100 mW, 300 ohm).PNG
    HP-2_ Multitone Intermodulation Distortion (AP 32-tone, 100 mW, 300 ohm).PNG
    95.8 KB · Views: 88
  • HP-2_ THD+N vs Output Power (1 kHz, 32 ohm, 20 kHz BW).PNG
    HP-2_ THD+N vs Output Power (1 kHz, 32 ohm, 20 kHz BW).PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 88
  • HP-2_ THD+N vs Output Power (1 kHz, 300 ohm, 20 kHz BW).png
    HP-2_ THD+N vs Output Power (1 kHz, 300 ohm, 20 kHz BW).png
    39.1 KB · Views: 101
  • HP-2_ Harmonic Spectrum (50 mW, 300 ohm, suppressed fundamental, 256k FFT, 16 averages) - annota.png
    HP-2_ Harmonic Spectrum (50 mW, 300 ohm, suppressed fundamental, 256k FFT, 16 averages) - annota.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 112
  • HP-2_wFocal.jpg
    HP-2_wFocal.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 229
  • HP-2_Rear.jpg
    HP-2_Rear.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 308
  • HP-2_Front.jpg
    HP-2_Front.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 344
I will partnering with fellow member KOHO to set up a system. He is going to bring his field coil back loaded horn speakers. I will taking care of all the amplification that including a TT with a 103R cartridge, a phono stage with LL9226 SUT, a 6V6 grounded cathode line stage and a single ended power amp base on Tubelab's SSE board. The phono stage with two input and able to accommodate another TT with mm cartridge, please with your own interconnect cable and ground wire ready.

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_150207.jpg
    IMG_20191107_150207.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20191104_112905.jpg
    IMG_20191104_112905.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 138
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.