What are you bringing to Burning Amp 2019?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Chico Audio Club will be coming to Burning Amp again this year and I myself am super excited about it. Last year we brought a complete system down and everyone had a great time. Naturally as a lover of fine audio Equipment Burning Amp is a highlight of my year. I think while burning amp was happening I was partially through the rebuild of a pair of Acrosound Ultralinear II power amps. I ended up finishing them up and they work great. I measured the distortion at less than .5% at the rated output power of 50 watts.

Acrosound UL-II rebuilt with photos. | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

The Preamp I built is was a requirement. The one i had, (modified PAS) in comparison was so bad, I should have done something sooner. I have built and modified a few preamps and this is the first one i am really in love with. I went above and beyond and really tried to incorporate the best practices I could find. I mounted the tubes on an isolated sub chassis, I sourced vintage ELCO sockets and shields. I decided that I didn't want any circuit boards in this design and I have stuck to that rule mostly. The first one I built is a prototype, but uses the basic circuit which I intend to use on the whole line. I have been listening to the first non prototype amp now. I'm very happy with the basic idea and how it came out. When my tonearm is off the record the amp is spooky silent, at a level where when you set it down you at maximum tolerable volume. Thats not a quantitative measurement but damn it sure is nice to know. Anyway, Im not going to type out the whole mess again, you can read about it on AudioKarma

The "Members Only" Riaa Tube preamp. (Photos 7-1-2019) | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Burning amp has been a life changing experience for me. I feel like a top priority in my life has become coming up with something cooler to bring next year, which is a good place to be in life...

I also want to take this opportunity to say to all of you who haven't started that brilliant project yet to jump in with both feet. Build whatever it is your heart desires. You will learn so much in the process. You will make plenty of mistakes and eventually be able to turn out amps far cooler than money can buy...

Editors Note: Here's the main BAF thread:
Burning Amp 2019!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an early reminder, please bring your own power strips, interconnects, speaker wire, power cords and sources. Last year after I loaned out all my backup cables people were still asking for more. For the folks coming a long way please post what you need. Also have signs made to describe your equipment.

If you have only an amp, preamp, source os speakers we will match you up with a system. Please bring your half done projects for display we will have a table available.

Headphone amps and cans are welcome! As always I will have my Bottlehead SEX amp at the show.

Last edited:
Just an early reminder, please bring your own power strips, interconnects, speaker wire, power cords and sources. ...Also have signs made to describe your equipment.
Excellent advice - that I always seem to forget to heed. I got lucky last year and was able to purchase some decent used cables for cheap just the day before. This year will be different: I'll remember to bring my cables. Maybe. :p

This year I'm planning to bring my Tubelab SE II, which is just now nearing completion.. Still a few kinks to work out, but boy does it sound nice so far.

Burning amp has been a life changing experience for me. I feel like a top priority in my life has become coming up with something cooler to bring next year, which is a good place to be in life...
Same here. BA always inspires me to venture outside my comfort zone and do things I wouldn't have attempted otherwise. I always leave there thinking, "hey, I can do that" - and then do it. I'm looking very much forward to seeing everyone; you're an extremely talented group.

BTW I can't wait to see those UL-IIs. They look incredible!

If you did not build anything this year please bring your past projects. There will always be people who will love to hear what you have. Burning Amp is not a competition it is to show your DIY projects or rebuilds.

A couple of years ago we had a gentleman who demonstrated his rebuilt Sansui amps and some Allison speakers which I thought were really cool and great sounding.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Probably a few things; one of them being this bipolar PSU board for chipamps. It's running a worse-than-worst-case scenario, delivering +27V @ 4A (DC) and also -27V @ 4A (DC), in the attached thermal images. With an ambient air temp of 27C, the electrolytic caps nearest the heatsinks reach about 50C , 90 minutes after testing began.

_

Attachments

• O2.JPG
    O2.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 753
  • T2.JPG
    T2.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 759
Last edited:
Hopefully I'll finish up the flea amplifier PCB build from last year and have one to show. This one will be 6SN7 outputs, 6N2P inputs. Soon as the one built from PCB the prototype is going on the chopping block :smash:

I have several PCBs in the works, in various degrees of testing. The noval push-pull monoblock PCBs should be close to done by then, going with 6P43P-E triode connected outputs with 6N2P inputs...

My version of Linkwitz-Riley opamp crossover PCBs based on the ESP P09 need to be tested, but I might have one to show in either a two or three way configuration...

Still not sure on speakers. Might bring some foamcore cornus. They need wall mounted so no idea how to do that at this venue currently.

Attachments

• IMG_20190604_162302.jpg
    IMG_20190604_162302.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_20190604_192732.jpg
    IMG_20190604_192732.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
I'll be bringing 4-5 headphone amplifiers, and a hybrid phono/line preamp using Russian subminiature dual triodes, The preamp will be configured to suit a fiddly Audio Technica AT440MLB to see if the low capacitance of the design will tame the AT's tendency to shriek.
Additionally, I'll be bringing my "Mirror Magic" amp, which will probably end up driving a pair of Event mini-monitors, as I've had no time for speaker building.
If I can manage it, I'll also bring a VT partial feedback SE amplifier, powered by a largish switching adapter and a DC-DC converter of my own design. The headphone amps will also sport DC-DC converters where needed.

Since there'll be lots of headphone amps to audition, I invite everybody to bring their favorite pair of headphones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.