What are you bringing to Burning Amp 2019?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As mentioned before, I will be bringing speakers (DE250/waveguide/12PR300). I plan to be setting up with member Skip Pack using my Modulus 86 amp, and his preamp based on the Neurochrome THAT driver, and an RPi based streamer/DAC.

The Modulus has 4 channels, so it could be set up with a second front end and another pair of speakers to make a second demo system. I'll bring unbalanced to balanced adapters and RCA interconnects just in case.

Bill aka lousymusician

Attachments

• IMG_20191108_074517[1].jpg
    IMG_20191108_074517[1].jpg
    969.7 KB · Views: 303
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Does anyone have experience dealing with airport security while trying to bring their DIY electronics to BAF?

I have a small phono amp which is battery powered along with its charger and some cables if needed.

I want to carry it on. It is wrapped in tissue, bubble and a box with padding and placed inside a medium size shopping bag that can be easily accessed.

The lid of the phono amp itself lifts right off in case they would want to inspect the internals.

I’m a little worried about man handling during a possible inspection or even rejection/confiscation because of the NiMH power cell or because they think it’s a bomb 😒.

Does anyone have experience dealing with airport security while trying to bring their DIY electronics to BAF?

I have a small phono amp which is battery powered along with its charger and some cables if needed.

I'm currently sitting in Denver waiting for my flight to San Francisco. The headphone amp I posted pictures of yesterday didn't attract much attention by the security folks. Neither did my extension cord, power strip, Modulus-686 modules, or 3 lb of aluminum (HP-2 chassis). They did pull one of my bags out for manual search, but I think that was because I left my liquids in there.

I share your concerns regarding the neurotic nature of airport security, so I looked into the rules. Basically, if your electronics are larger than an iPad, you have to put them in a separate bin for the X-ray. Just do that, and be prepared to answer questions about what it is (and provide answers in plain English). I used those questions as an opportunity to practice my sales pitch. :)

The security folks are concerned about battery safety, however. Specifically, they're concerned with lithium-ion batteries. The TSA website lists a MacBook Pro (2015-2017 model) where the battery has been recalled. If you have one of those, you're supposed to leave it off during the flight. They would have to check the serial number, so I highly doubt they'd ever be able to catch you using an "unsafe" laptop. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just answer their questions honestly and move on.

The only grief I got from the airport personnel was actually from US customs (I go through customs in Calgary). First off the customs officer was in awe of the HP-2 (I've fitted it with a plexiglass lid, so you can see the insides). He then proceeded to let me know that since my trip is a business trip and the HP-2 is fully functioning, the amp is technically merchandise. In the future, I will need to "mutilate" (yes, he used that term) my merchandise (e.g. by engraving SAMPLE or PROTOTYPE) before bringing it to the US without having to pay any fees.
If you only travel domestically within the US, you won't have these kinds of issues, naturally. Those coming from overseas may want to take note, especially if they have a business registered in their name, thus can be argued to be on a business trip.

All is well. See you Sunday (and Saturday for dinner).

Tom

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks very much for your response Tom. We’re on our way to the airport now. I had read whatever guidelines for traveling with electronics that I could find. To be honest, I was chickening out as I don’t have anyone to hand my phono amp over to if it doesn’t make it through security. I doubt I could drop it in a FedEx mailbox and ship it home to myself as it is probably a little too big. I suppose I will risk it and hope I am dealing with sensible people.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Went straight through security at JFK in NY with no problem at all.

I told the security officer I had delicate electronics and showed her the bag asking that if they wanted to inspect it that I could assist so that there was no damage.

It went right through. Didn’t have to open anything.😎👍

Nice job on the nob!
Thanks Jeffreyjuice! I'm glad you can make it out here this year.
In the future, I will need to "mutilate" (yes, he used that term) my merchandise (e.g. by engraving SAMPLE or PROTOTYPE) before bringing it to the US without having to pay any fees.
I was on the verge of suggesting you could just scratch "SAMPLE" on the plexiglass with, say, a key - but then that would be an utter insult to your workmanship. Your work is indeed awesome.

In light of all the recent questions regarding traveling with DIY gear, I've considered creating a guide for building form-fitting cases for this purpose. They're relatively cheap, durable, and easily opened for customs/TSA inspection.

Went straight through security at JFK in NY with no problem at all.

Nice! Welcome to the Wet Coast.

In light of all the recent questions regarding traveling with DIY gear, I've considered creating a guide for building form-fitting cases for this purpose. They're relatively cheap, durable, and easily opened for customs/TSA inspection.

Do you have a brand that you recommend for the form-fitting cases?

Tom

Thanks Jeffreyjuice! I'm glad you can make it out here this year.
I was on the verge of suggesting you could just scratch "SAMPLE" on the plexiglass with, say, a key - but then that would be an utter insult to your workmanship. Your work is indeed awesome.

A good idea Z! And good to see ya out there, will have to run into you next time!

Hmm... Tom, sounds like you need two plexi amp tops, a traveling one with SAMPLE mutilation, and in some unobtrusive separate place like a laptop bag, a nice pristine one for the show... ;)

Aww man... been watching quietly, jealously... since I had to decide I'm not making it a second year in a row... Have a great 2nd day, all of you! Post lots of pics for us vicarious ones. Next Time!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here are some of the things I brought to Burning Amp (foreshadowed in post #8 of this thread).

The circuit schematic is on page 540 of the first edition of Bob Cordell's book, and also on page 687 of the second edition.

Bob also has a web page about the Super Gainclone design.

It was a lot of fun to show the completed amplifier to Bob Cordell in person and to receive his feedback. He's really a terrific guy.

_

Attachments

• compact3886.jpg
    compact3886.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Compact_display_plaque.jpg
    Compact_display_plaque.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 324
  • fullchassis_rear.jpg
    fullchassis_rear.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 333
  • fullchassis_front.jpg
    fullchassis_front.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 337
  • SGC_board.jpg
    SGC_board.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 342
  • SGC_display_plaque.jpg
    SGC_display_plaque.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 334
Well done Mark, excellent work.

Hopefully one day, I can meet Bob in person too :)
I am wearing my San Fran golden gate bridge sweat shirt today in honour, I bought it at the GG park tourist booth, when I went for Mentor Graphics BoardStation training, going back to the mid 90's here, it is a little worn out :)
I'd be interested in trying your design out, I have a few old N/S LM3886 samples in my stock needing a good home.
I think it could bring life to some old electronics with dead/obsolete STK modules in them.

Cheers to you

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here's another project I brought to Burning Amp; it was on one of the tables in the Volta room.

This is a headphone amp called Rojo, which I scrambled to assemble and tune up, just before the Festival. The silkscreen layer contains the date I sent PCB Gerbers to the fab: 21 Oct 2019. That didn't leave a lot of time for fab turnaround + stuffing and soldering + debugging and testing. Fortunately I got it up and smoothly running with two days to spare, and was able to demonstrate Rojo to listeners at the show, after the last of the Firehouse lectures.

The signal path is all-BJT including the front end opamp IC (AD817) and the discrete opamp back end. However I did pick a JFET-input opamp for the DC servo: OPA134.

_

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 155
  • internals.JPG
    internals.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 166
  • rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 150
  • zoom.JPG
    zoom.JPG
    628.7 KB · Views: 153
  • plaque.jpg
    plaque.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes it was probably a mistake for me to wait until after the Firehouse talks were over, before powering up the demo gear. I apologize that Rojo wasn't available to listen, when you were there. However: I'm inches from the intersection of CA-85 and CA-17; if you would like to come by the casa and have a listen, let's make a plan!

There was another slip-up as well, and this one was discovered by the Chief Preamp Designer at Pass Labs (!), gulp. In preparing the demo music CDs, I accidentally overwrote the Burn List for CD3 with that of CD4. So CD3 was a copy of CD4 and there was no CD3. Naturally the music he wanted to use to audition Rojo and Azul, was on CD3. Gulp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.