Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

What are you bringing to Burning Amp 2019?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2019, 06:33 PM   #91
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromenuts View Post
Went straight through security at JFK in NY with no problem at all.
Nice! Welcome to the Wet Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Zenith View Post
In light of all the recent questions regarding traveling with DIY gear, I've considered creating a guide for building form-fitting cases for this purpose. They're relatively cheap, durable, and easily opened for customs/TSA inspection.
Do you have a brand that you recommend for the form-fitting cases?

Tom
Old 10th November 2019, 06:04 AM   #92
JonPike is offline JonPike  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Zenith View Post
Thanks Jeffreyjuice! I'm glad you can make it out here this year.
I was on the verge of suggesting you could just scratch "SAMPLE" on the plexiglass with, say, a key - but then that would be an utter insult to your workmanship. Your work is indeed awesome.

In light of all the recent questions regarding traveling with DIY gear, I've considered creating a guide for building form-fitting cases for this purpose. They're relatively cheap, durable, and easily opened for customs/TSA inspection.
A good idea Z! And good to see ya out there, will have to run into you next time!

Hmm... Tom, sounds like you need two plexi amp tops, a traveling one with SAMPLE mutilation, and in some unobtrusive separate place like a laptop bag, a nice pristine one for the show...

Aww man... been watching quietly, jealously... since I had to decide I'm not making it a second year in a row... Have a great 2nd day, all of you! Post lots of pics for us vicarious ones. Next Time!
Old 10th November 2019, 07:26 AM   #93
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
I forgot my powerstrip (possible on the roof of my car doh) if could borrow one with atleast 5 outlets it would be much appreciated.
Old 11th November 2019, 05:24 PM   #94
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Here are some of the things I brought to Burning Amp (foreshadowed in post #8 of this thread).

The circuit schematic is on page 540 of the first edition of Bob Cordell's book, and also on page 687 of the second edition.

Bob also has a web page about the Super Gainclone design.

It was a lot of fun to show the completed amplifier to Bob Cordell in person and to receive his feedback. He's really a terrific guy.

_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGC_display_plaque.jpg (102.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg SGC_board.jpg (383.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg fullchassis_front.jpg (299.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg fullchassis_rear.jpg (352.8 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Compact_display_plaque.jpg (412.2 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg compact3886.jpg (251.6 KB, 73 views)
Old 12th November 2019, 02:01 PM   #95
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well done Mark, excellent work.

Hopefully one day, I can meet Bob in person too
I am wearing my San Fran golden gate bridge sweat shirt today in honour, I bought it at the GG park tourist booth, when I went for Mentor Graphics BoardStation training, going back to the mid 90's here, it is a little worn out
I'd be interested in trying your design out, I have a few old N/S LM3886 samples in my stock needing a good home.
I think it could bring life to some old electronics with dead/obsolete STK modules in them.

Cheers to you
Old 14th November 2019, 08:02 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Here's another project I brought to Burning Amp; it was on one of the tables in the Volta room.

This is a headphone amp called Rojo, which I scrambled to assemble and tune up, just before the Festival. The silkscreen layer contains the date I sent PCB Gerbers to the fab: 21 Oct 2019. That didn't leave a lot of time for fab turnaround + stuffing and soldering + debugging and testing. Fortunately I got it up and smoothly running with two days to spare, and was able to demonstrate Rojo to listeners at the show, after the last of the Firehouse lectures.

The signal path is all-BJT including the front end opamp IC (AD817) and the discrete opamp back end. However I did pick a JFET-input opamp for the DC servo: OPA134.

_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.JPG (292.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg internals.JPG (383.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg rear.JPG (299.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg zoom.JPG (628.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg plaque.jpg (176.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 14th November 2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 14th November 2019, 08:48 PM   #97
GKTAUDIO is offline GKTAUDIO  United States
diyAudio Member

Mark, I stopped by to admire your Rojo several times - wish I could have listened to it. Beautiful work.
Old 14th November 2019, 09:00 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Yes it was probably a mistake for me to wait until after the Firehouse talks were over, before powering up the demo gear. I apologize that Rojo wasn't available to listen, when you were there. However: I'm inches from the intersection of CA-85 and CA-17; if you would like to come by the casa and have a listen, let's make a plan!

There was another slip-up as well, and this one was discovered by the Chief Preamp Designer at Pass Labs (!), gulp. In preparing the demo music CDs, I accidentally overwrote the Burn List for CD3 with that of CD4. So CD3 was a copy of CD4 and there was no CD3. Naturally the music he wanted to use to audition Rojo and Azul, was on CD3. Gulp.
Old 14th November 2019, 10:52 PM   #99
wayne is offline wayne  United States
Auburn
diyAudio Member

Mark you still had a good selection of music to play and it was stuff I liked.
A good turn out this year and lots of talented people.

What are you bringing to Burning Amp 2019?Hide this!Advertise here!