Burning Amp Is November 9 & 10, 2019!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We all got to start somewhere! :joker:

Giving it a listen on ACA with a pair of HSU HB-1 MK2 (see attached pic).

Edit: it sounds quite bright(?) (cymbals/hi-hat really stand out more than I'm used to) compared to SPL 2Control preamp.

The Whammy headphone amp / preamp was kind of bright when it was fresh. 20 or 30 hours of continuous play when I wasn't around seemed to settle it in.

Get some time on it then see where it's at.

I was listening to mine for hours while at the computer yesterday. Noticed some splashy sibilance with some vocals, so I'll give it another listen today with a different recording, and give it some more hours of use as suggested.

Edit: Nah. It was the recording. Just went through a series of tracks with vocals, and some cymbal-heavy stuff. Sounds quite well balanced, which was my impression yesterday listening to mostly instrumental music. Forgot to mention I've been using headphones which bring the detail up close.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who stopped by and auditioned my two headphone amps (one tube, one solid state, both Class A). Pretty much everyone agreed that the amps had different character, and the split was about 50-50 as to the preferred amp. Some preferred the "punchiness" of the solid state, other preferred the "smooth tube sound". There will definitely be more headphone amps in the lineup next year, as I have about 4 more designs in the pipeline, and one design on paper waiting to be fleshed out. The first thing on my list, though, is to hook up with a source of decent output iron for my tube efforts - my current vendor doesn't cut it.

Fearing that the extreme heat lovers would not get what they crave at the Sunday noon meal, I brought along four bottles of spicy heat and put them at the corner where the 2nd leg of the serving "horseshoe" meets the 3rd leg. Admittedly these were commercial products and not homemade. I hope folks enjoyed the warmer ones

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX4R3GX/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIX21U8/

Mark that was you eh? Thanks for bringing. I did the Hab on the first go around, it was delicious. And the ghost on the 2nd. Smoky, hot and even more tasty. That one got me! But it was a good hurt lol.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes I read post #172 in this thread, and the follow on replies, from BAF attendees concerned that their food might be underspiced. When you're spending a lot of money to travel a long way, you want everything to be perfect. And I thought to myself, I can easily store a few unopened bottles in my fridge, and bring them with me when I drive up to SF for the meeting. So: I did it, and I was glad to do it, and given the chance, I'd do it again. Although someone eating their lunch on the pier did tell me, they really wish I had also brought a Carolina Reaper sauce. Sorry about that.

What a great show! - It was a blast!

Several folks asked for the slides from my "Insights on Hybrid Amplifier Design" so here is a link: http://www.denisvilfort.com/BAF 2019 Vilfort Audio.pdf

See you all next year

Denis, totally agree with the other comments. Your presentation was an excellent way to start the day. Filled in a lot of gaps for me. And your delivery was an excellent mix of high voltage with plenty of current.

Thanks.

Yes I read post #172 in this thread, and the follow on replies, from BAF attendees concerned that their food might be underspiced. When you're spending a lot of money to travel a long way, you want everything to be perfect. And I thought to myself, I can easily store a few unopened bottles in my fridge, and bring them with me when I drive up to SF for the meeting. So: I did it, and I was glad to do it, and given the chance, I'd do it again. Although someone eating their lunch on the pier did tell me, they really wish I had also brought a Carolina Reaper sauce. Sorry about that.

Mark, I take full credit for Post # 172 and can vouch for the joy of JeffreyJuice - thoroughly recommended. Thank you for being so thoughtful. Not enough time in the day so, unfortunately I didn't get to say, "g'day". Maybe another BAF in the future.

Last edited:
Linear Systems Videos

Hello All:

We are currently finishing the videos, which will be released individually as they are done. The videos will be posted to the Linear Integrated Systems Youtube page. The hard copy presentations will be posted on the Linearsystems.com website. This year was great. One of the best years I can remember. I cannot wait to see what we do next year!!!!

Sincerely,

Paul Norton
Linear Integrated Systems(Linear Systems)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.