Burning Amp Is November 9 & 10, 2019!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We have arranged a Chinatown Banquet Saturday night at 7:30pm after the Workshops and before the Sunday Main Event.

Location is the Imperial Palace in the heart of San Francisco’s Chinatown. We have a semi-private banquet room on the second floor and seating is at tables of 10.

Price includes all food, tax, and tips. Beer or wine is extra.

Enjoy a convivial evening with your fellow audio enthusiasts!

Burning Amp 2019 Saturday Chinatown Banquet Tickets, Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 7:30 PM | Eventbrite

If you have not pre-ordered the Sunday catered Indian Lunch at the Firehouse, and wish to do so, I have set up an Eventbrite event.

Burning Amp 2019 Pre-order Sunday Indian Lunch Tickets, Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:00 PM | Eventbrite

See you at Burning Amp 2019!

Thank you for creating the event, I have just signed up! Looking forward to meeting other fellow DIYers at the dinner :)

Last edited:
Something is wrong with the eventbrite setup for the Indian lunch buffet. If I follow the link to it, it shows the correct info, but if I then tap “Tickets”, it adds the Saturday Chinatown dinner to my cart instead of the Sunday Indian lunch buffet. This is on my iPhone, I haven’t tried it on a computer with a web browser.

Tom, the menu looks like it's pegged toward the mild end of town. Will the caterers be able to provide some condiments to "amp up" the curries and give them a bit of zing for those that way inclined? It is Burning Amp after all.

Note that I'm not proposing to engage in "Scoville Unit Chicken", however that might offer lunchtime entertainment for some.. :hot:

@Astromo: I think I have just the thing for you, and any others who like it hot, I'll be bringing a few cases of this years hot sauces - my other hobby. I made two types: reasonable and ridicculous!

@Tom V: THANK YOU for organizing all of this! Especially the Saturday dinner I'm super excited to hang out with other audio nerds!!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think I fixed it.

Something is wrong with the eventbrite setup for the Indian lunch buffet. If I follow the link to it, it shows the correct info, but if I then tap “Tickets”, it adds the Saturday Chinatown dinner to my cart instead of the Sunday Indian lunch buffet. This is on my iPhone, I haven’t tried it on a computer with a web browser.

Looks like when I copied one event to create the other, I missed a "Chinatown Banquet" reference. Let me know if you find anything else.

-Tom-

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It’s well known that a lot of SF Chinatown restaurants find it impossible to meet some health standards which include safety stuff too I think. Most of them have been crammed into tiny spaces and it’s actually impossible to conform to some requirements such as narrow stairs separating kitchens, with walls that aren’t impervious. Still, a bit scary I’ll admit, but authentic!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
We are all here for the music!

Just to remind everyone why we care about our audio equipment:

Last night I saw a fabulous production of Mozart's Marriage of Figaro at the San Francisco Opera. Orchestra, 3rd row, off to the right side. Wonderful voices, wonderful orchestra, and of course Mozart! Opening night and they were ON!

So some of the musical events for Friday November 8th:

Puccini, Manon Lescaut at the Opera.

Guest Conductor Ton Koopman leads a Bach and Haydn program at the San Francisco Symphony.

A choice of Camila Meza's Nectar Orchestra or Dorado Schmitt & the Django All-Stars at SF Jazz.

A long-time personal favorite is Lavay Smith and her Red-Hot Skillet Lickers. The November calendar is not up, but they have regular Friday gigs at Le Colonial and Sunday's at The Royal Cuckoo.

An a hundred others.... If you are coming to San Francisco from out of town, check it out.

-Tom-

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Generally, the San Francisco Symphony is stunningly good, and rightfully world famous. Especially with Michael Tilson Thomas conducting, but they don’t invite any old person to be a guest conductor, so that can be good too. Like a very good painting or sculpture, even if you’re not an expert you KNOW it’s good!

They sell SACD’s of many performances in the symphony shop. I started buying one each time I went.

My wife claimed not to enjoy Mahler Symphonies. MTT and SF Symphony specialize in Mahler. Talked her into going to his 3rd on my birthday. Just the various tones and harmonies they developed were unbelievably out of this world. Afterward she con’t stop raving about how great it was (it was). An unforgettable moment of my life.

Love Lavay Smith & TRHSL’s. My son’s sax teacher did a lovely clarinet solo on “Blue Skies” on one of her albums.

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
When I was living in the Bay Area, I had a subscription to the SF Symphony. I love their Mahler cycle as well. I was in the audience when they recorded the 5th for the cycle. Having the recording, hearing that is a great way of remembering that evening. :)

I want to point out Yoshi‘s in Jack London Square in Oakland as well, just a quick hop over the Bay Bridge from San Francisco. Great combination of Jazz Club and Japanese restaurant. We once saw Oscar Peterson there. :)

Regards, Claas

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We lived 2 blocks from the Yoshi’s in San Francisco. And saw a couple,of shows there. Unfortunately that club failed, but as was mentioned SFJazz has taken up the slack. They are a non-profit, so will survive, and they have a sweet new building. Also took my son the sax player to various shows at Yoshi’s Oakland, in a desperate effort to see the Greats while they were still living! Also saw Dr. John because I like that New Orleans funk! We should check what’s going to be there during BAF.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It's a shame you didn't see this thread until today. I recommend that you create a computerized calendar reminder, telling yourself to watch for Burning Amp 2020 announcements. This year's announcement (post #1 in this thread you're viewing now) came out on May 14. So maybe have your computer give you a reminder every Tuesday in May and June 2020, to Google for "2020 Burning Amp" and to check Forums -> Member Areas -> Clubs & Events here on the website.

Speaking of Google, check out the YouTube videos of the 2018 Burning Amp Festival. They're cool.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.