Burning Amp Is November 9 & 10, 2019!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Chefhat,

We are very informal! Just show up Sunday morning and we will find you space to display your amp. Variac and Nikon F may be able to pair you up with someone with speakers (maybe even me!) so you can demonstrate your amp. Be thinking about sources, interconnects, etc. You can post in the "What are you bringing to Burning Amp 2019 thread as well.

We are going to have a great time!

-Tom-

Thanks Tom

I don't think my baggage allowances will stretch to speakers or sources sadly, but I'll be sure to post what's in the flight-case in plenty of time!

Will be there for the Saturday PM workshops too if that requires a registration.

Can't wait - thanks again

NICK CRESSWELL

Joined 2010
Paid Member
We are still finalizing Saturday workshops. There may be a pre-registration for those, but we will give you plenty of notice on that. Just monitor this space or the burningamp.org website.

As far as speakers, there are always more amps than speakers. I will probably not have time to build a new pair for this year's BAF, but I can bring at least two pairs that have been shown previously.

-Tom-

This will be my first Burning Amp - I will be coming from the UK - you know, that little island off the coast of Europe surrounded by water!

Sweet! I've heard of that place. ;)

I suggest bringing some paperwork to show the customs/immigration folks (if they ask). Basically, you want them to understand that you're attending a Geek Fest as a tourist. You're not a commercial exhibitor (you would likely need a business visa for that). It shouldn't be an issue, but then a lot of things shouldn't be issues. If the Burning Amp website has been updated, I'd just print that for show & tell should the customs folks ask.

Tom

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Years ago I took my amp to BA, from Brussels. I went to the trouble of getting customs paperwork showing I exported it from Belgium, so I could show that on return to avoid import duties, but they didn't even ask for it. No idea how that is in the UK, worth a Google I guess.

A tip: leave the cover open or make sure that you can remove it quickly at customs when they want to look inside. My amp was internally swabbed for substance and explosives but came out clean ;-)

Jan

A tip: leave the cover open or make sure that you can remove it quickly at customs when they want to look inside. My amp was internally swabbed for substance and explosives but came out clean ;-)

Dang... I've only had my amps swabbed on the outside. I feel like I've missed out on something.

If you carry your kit on the plane, put it in a separate plastic tray for the X-ray/security screening. Just explain what it is when they ask. Playing with open cards is helpful. Alternatively, just put the kit in your checked luggage and move on with life.

When I traveled to BAF last year, the US customs didn't care about my amps. I got more grief from the Canadian customs when I came home. Which is a bit odd seeing how the amps say "Made in Canada by Tom Christiansen" on them. #whatever.

I wouldn't worry too much about the customs or security folks. It's more the US immigration folks. You are at the mercy of that individual immigration officer.

Tom

How about this: a session where one of us shares ideas?

I love the Nelson Pass and crew sessions. These people do this for a LIVING! That deserves respect.
Then I started thinking: what we need at BAF is a session where we learn from each other. As DIY'ers. I mean: we have hands on experiences others may learn from. Especially as we are now seeing the next generation of amp DIY'ers being attracted to this hobby.
Many of us have been at it for a while (since 1972 for me) and have war stories and insights to share.
What do you think? A new presentation segment: "DIY insights". Where we share what we have learned...

Thoughts?

I love the Nelson Pass and crew sessions. These people do this for a LIVING! That deserves respect.
Then I started thinking: what we need at BAF is a session where we learn from each other. As DIY'ers. I mean: we have hands on experiences others may learn from. Especially as we are now seeing the next generation of amp DIY'ers being attracted to this hobby.
Many of us have been at it for a while (since 1972 for me) and have war stories and insights to share.
What do you think? A new presentation segment: "DIY insights". Where we share what we have learned...

Thoughts?

I would be willing to participate in some kind of a workshop session or presentation.

Cheers,
Bob

Sure,

As a first-timer, I am bringing an integrated amp that I have been working on for about 2 years now. One of the biggest challenges has been getting rid of hum and noise as there are many sources in a single box. I learned some interesting lessons along the way - I'd be happy to do 15 or 2mins with a few slides on the subject

Hum and noise are always fun topics !!

Thx, NICK

Sweet! I've heard of that place. ;)

I suggest bringing some paperwork to show the customs/immigration folks (if they ask). Basically, you want them to understand that you're attending a Geek Fest as a tourist. You're not a commercial exhibitor (you would likely need a business visa for that). It shouldn't be an issue, but then a lot of things shouldn't be issues. If the Burning Amp website has been updated, I'd just print that for show & tell should the customs folks ask.

Tom

Righto, good advice noted

Thx, NICK

Just an early reminder, please bring your own power strips, interconnects, speaker wire, power cords and sources. Last year after I loaned out all my backup cables people were still asking for more. For the folks coming a long way please post what you need. Also have signs made to describe your equipment.

If you have only an amp, preamp, source os speakers we will match you up with a system. Please bring your half done projects for display we will have a table available.

Headphone amps and cans are welcome! As always I will have my Bottlehead SEX amp at the show.

Attachments

• 02E9B697-9338-44B9-B8E2-FC16851EADF2.JPG
    02E9B697-9338-44B9-B8E2-FC16851EADF2.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 508
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.