Burning Amp Is November 9 & 10, 2019!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BAF 2019 Photos

For those who did not attend, here are some photos. More to follow.

Attachments

• DSCN5793.jpg
    DSCN5793.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 633
  • DSCN5802.jpg
    DSCN5802.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCN5801.jpg
    DSCN5801.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN5799.jpg
    DSCN5799.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 621
  • DSCN5798.jpg
    DSCN5798.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCN5795.jpg
    DSCN5795.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 642
  • DSCN5790.jpg
    DSCN5790.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 650
BAF 2019 Photos

Next photos.

Attachments

• DSCN5774.jpg
    DSCN5774.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN5775.jpg
    DSCN5775.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN5776.jpg
    DSCN5776.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 242
  • DSCN5786.jpg
    DSCN5786.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN5787.jpg
    DSCN5787.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCN5803.jpg
    DSCN5803.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN5804.jpg
    DSCN5804.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN5805.jpg
    DSCN5805.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Loose lips sink ships. Not much information was shared about the F8. It’s supposed to replace a the J2 and it seems like they are still experimenting with it.

I believe the discussion that did develop around the F8 was focused on the front end design and the fact that there was no degeneration because of its design.

It was way over my head...but sounded spooky, mystical and like it may very well break several of the laws of physics...;)

What draws you to that conclusion?
Papa tends to stick to this rule.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

1) It was mentioned that no degeneration is used. If Papa were using his regular mosfets with zero degeneration, then the open loop gain would be high enough that positive feedback would be unnecessary.
2) Laterals are easy to bias with no degeneration but transcoductance is much lower, so hence the use of some positive feedback to improve output impedance.
3) I know Papa has large quantity of laterals already in his inventory

Thanks everyone for an awesome time. I was a first timer and a generous benefactor gave up his spot for me to build the ACP + .

I have been listening to ACP+ in place of WHAMMY (thanks amb for the pic, #93), keeping everything else the same. There is a difference. Two different flavors. I like them both.

Headphones are Sennheiser HD 280 . Source is a dell desktop via USB to a ES9018K2M

Last edited:
This was only my second burning amp I attended and what a great community we have with helpful people to assist us with lesser experience and knowledge. Thank you to Tom and everybody who assisted Tom in putting together this year is burning amp. It’s really nice to actually get to meet the faces behind the names on do it yourself audio.
For those newbies who are newer than me and even have the slight thought of actually attending a Burning Amp Festival I highly recommend it it will be worth the trip. Just be able to sit next to great minds with decades of experience discuss how amplifiers work and to overcome little problems you gain more knowledge listening to 10 or 20 minutes of conversation from those with knowledge then you do reading 100 pages of a amplifier how to book or 1000 pages of reading threads on a form.
The first day when everyone was in the headphone amp build sitting at the tables at the end of the day watching Zen Mod take over and reflow one of the DYI’s boards that did not work to get it working again what is a privilege.
Watching 6L6 and Variac walk around the tables to assist and make sure everything went smoothly so everybody walked away with a working project at the end of the day. And for all those who helped and assisted who I did not mention thank you very much.
I myself am trying to put together a very inexpensive version of the amp camp amp that I can donate to beginning students at my last college that I attended my electronics courses to use as class projects and steer the students towards the DYIaudio website to help spark interest. But to be able to donate parts and materials that are readily available the un·ob·tain·i·um Pentium JFETs would have to be substituted with something else that is cheap for students and Easily obtainable and affordably donated.

A special thanks to Dennis Hui for gifting me his extra balanced Zen line stage PCB And AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier AB100 amplifier PCB and Companying Power supply boards. You have boosted my enthusiasm and got me jumpstarted on two projects that were on the bucket list but now I’m off and running.
And of course none other a special thanks to Nelson Pass that even Oden and Thor have to kneel to with his wizardry of controlling electrons with his generosity of giving out gifts. I now own the package of the PCB and all components of the H2 Kit and also the mini LX kit to add a Twitter to my full range to act as my active crossover to biamp my speakers will be a new step towards learning something I know nothing about.

Thank you Shane Casey for showing up from Zu Audio. Listening to Shane explain to a DYI attendee who just won a very special pair of speakers in a raffle. How to use them and set them up with recommendations to add a tweeter to call him at his company directly for help and tips to complete his project with his newfound fortune. I’ve learned more about that particular subject on that speaker listening to Shane speak for 10 or 15 minutes in a hallway conversation then hours of reading or watching videos.

Thank you all see you next year

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
@ThermalAlchemy -

It was a blast to meet you and all the rest of the gang. Seconded heartily from another noob that was overwhelmed by the sharing of both incredible hardware and invaluable knowledge. If there's anything another noob can do to help your project with the college come along more successfully, please don't hesitate to ping me.

:cheers:

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.