Seattle/ Puget Sound DIY Show

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

The 2019 Puget Sound DIY Show is being held on Saturday, August 10, 2019 starting at 10am on Mercer Island. This is a joint effort of the Pacific NorthWest Audio Society and the Sound DIY Club.

This is not a contest as such, but rather a "run what ya brung" meet, that is open to all interested parties that would like to display, view or listen to DIY Audio equipment. The event will be held at:

The Mercer Island Congregational Church
4545 Island Crest Way
Mercer Island, WA 98040

What you need to know is that the meet is scheduled for August 10th starting at 10am for the public, parking is free and there is no admission or entry fee. (If you have items to display, setup starts at 9:30am or so). We ask all interested parties that have gear they would like to show to let us know ASAP, in order to plan on how many tables, etc. we will need. If you bring bookshelf speakers, you may want to bring speaker stands from home. Hope to see you there!

Best Regards,
Terry Olson

Last edited:
Hi Terry,
I'll bring my TMMs -- hope there will be some amps there to hook up to. :D

And also, if nothing else delays me, I'll bring my long-awaited headphone tube amp. Still have the wiring to do, But I'm very anxious to see (hear) how it turns out.

Powered speakers are welcome at the DIY DAY

I probably won't bring an active speaker, because I am behind the curve, but Dana and Max, and others,please bring em on!

I am preparing to bring some cheap/fun HIFI kit to the meeting. The player and amp are built around commercially available modules. Many know about the Raspberry Pi + Allo Boss DAC server set-up that several of us have put together. I have added to this line up the Allo Volt+ chip amp and Bravo Audio hybrid tube headphone amp/ pre-amp. All the server and amp parts, minus the USB flash drive, cost about $250.00. It would work without the one-tube Bravo preamp, which cost about $65.00.

The Volt+ class D amp has very low distortion at about 15 watts/channel, though 50 watts/channel is advertised. With my speakers this amp plays loud and clean. The Volt + amp seems to need 8ohm speaker loads.

My 3-way contest speakers that work really well with the class D mini amp. The components in the speakers cost about $400.00 plus 1 sheet of plywood.
I will bring them and my open baffle speakers, and maybe others.

Finally got some time to work on my headphone amp this weekend.

Here's a preview. The chassis was finished last year sometime. :eek: Padouk and walnut with an aluminum top plate. I'm working on the wiring now. It uses 0D3 voltage regulator tubes and 5842 triodes.
Anxious to get it done! :D

Attachments

• fin_left.jpg
    fin_left.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 336
  • fin_right.jpg
    fin_right.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 334
  • fin_rear_mnt.jpg
    fin_rear_mnt.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 335
  • fin_front_mnt.jpg
    fin_front_mnt.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 330
Mac Amp to power the open Baffle Speakers

While my vintage Mac 240 is not a DIY build, it is unusual enough these days that I think that it will be fun to bring it to power my 4 way open baffle pair. I still need to do some testing to see if I like the pairing enough to share them together. Naturally it will also be interesting to try Rene's amps and others with speakers we have built and will bring.

I am thinking to feed the Mac 240 from my Raspberry Pi server/Bravo Audio pre/headphone amp.

Mac Amp to power the open Baffle Speakers

I tried the Rpi server - Mac 240 - 4 way open baffle set up - and it sounds good. Definitely a softer vintage kind of sound compared to the Allo Volt+ class D amp and 3 way speakers with planar tweets, but that could be expected. Plenty of detail overall. Sounds nice with vintage recordings.

Dave,
What range of headphone impedance will work with the output transformers? My phones are about 30 ohms. Just wonder if I should bring them to try with your amp.
John

Hi John,
Rene' designed my amp for 300 ohm or above headphones. Mine are Sennheiser HD 600.
But bring your headphones anyway. He will be bringing a headphone amp that will likely drive them.

Upgraded last years speaker to Active!

Finished assembly of the three channel transconductance :confused: amps yesterday. Tuning the digital crossovers today. Still need to figure out how to secure the top cabinet, so it won't walk off the woofer during strong bass notes. There will be fun. Current-Drive - The Natural Way of Loudspeaker Operation

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_130127663.jpg
    IMG_20190807_130127663.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20190804_214200195.jpg
    IMG_20190804_214200195.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 191
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.