Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Interest survey: Cow Town Audio Fest - Calgary, 2019 (cowboy hats optional)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Would you be able to attend a DIY Fest in Calgary during the summer of 2019?
Yes! Definitely! 4 44.44%
Quite possibly. 1 11.11%
Yeah... Maybe... 3 33.33%
Nah... Probably not. 0 0%
Most likely not. 0 0%
Absolutely not! 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th October 2018, 01:46 AM   #1
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Interest survey: Cow Town Audio Fest - Calgary, 2019 (cowboy hats optional)

I'm toying with the idea of hosting a DIY Fest in Calgary next summer. I'm thinking sometime during the months of July, August, or September. Not during Stampede Week (mid July) as hotel pricing will skyrocket.

I'm thinking to rent a couple of rooms or event spaces at a hotel for a day. To help cover the cost, I'll need to charge admission (say $20).

Before I start putting too much energy into this project, I would like to gauge your interest. Please take a moment to fill out the survey.

Tom
Old 5th October 2018, 02:04 AM   #2
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great idea. $20 is a good entry fee, but I would recommend going smaller, say community hall instead of hotel, and targeting $10, but increasing fee if numbers don't work.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:08 AM   #3
poseidonsvoice is online now poseidonsvoice  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a good idea. Most families schedule summer vacations so it will be important to announce this well in advance!

Best,
Anand.
Old 5th October 2018, 06:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
Great idea. $20 is a good entry fee, but I would recommend going smaller, say community hall instead of hotel, and targeting $10, but increasing fee if numbers don't work.
Ah! Community hall. Good suggestion. Thanks.

Tom
Old 5th October 2018, 06:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
Ah! Community hall. Good suggestion. Thanks.

Tom
Depends on what size you are targeting. I know the community halls in my vicinity, Tuscany, and can help you. The annual hamfest is held at the Eastside Church, which has a pretty big hall.
Old 5th October 2018, 03:33 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Coordinate with some other events that might attract wives/girlfriends/partners, and you might be able to expand the potential guest list substantially. At the right time of year, the drive from as far away as the west coast can be pretty gorgeous, and not too difficult a sell.
Easier to load up big amps and speakers than by air as well.

Oh, and careful - you could be starting something

Last edited by chrisb; 5th October 2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 5th October 2018, 04:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Maybe I should have this during Stampede Week. Send the wives off to the stampede and they might not come back...

The drive from the Wet Coast is awesome. Once you clear Vancouver and start rolling across the lower mainland, it turns rather pretty in a hurry. If you go the right time of year, you'll have a dusting of snow on the trees (but not on the roads), which really turns up the pretty factor.

For those in the Seattle area, the drive out I-90 to Coeur d'Alene and north through Bonners Ferry and Crowsnest Pass is quite nice as well.

Tom
Old 5th October 2018, 04:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
Depends on what size you are targeting. I know the community halls in my vicinity, Tuscany, and can help you. The annual hamfest is held at the Eastside Church, which has a pretty big hall.
Ideally, the venue would feature multiple smaller rooms so we can have more than one stereo going at a time.

Cramming a bunch of setups into one room works better for headphones.

Tom
Old 5th October 2018, 04:43 PM   #9
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Tom,

All these DIY meets you've been going to, are they now gettin' to ya?

Kidding aside, a commendable thought process, hope your dream becomes a reality.

- Zia
Old 5th October 2018, 06:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
Ideally, the venue would feature multiple smaller rooms so we can have more than one stereo going at a time.

Cramming a bunch of setups into one room works better for headphones.

Tom
Well, if that's what you want, it would be be best to rent out completely one of the community halls. The newer ones are 2 story, so u can get a minimum of 2 listening rooms, more if you use their divider walls, but those are not very soundproof. Again, its about what your concept is.

Interest survey: Cow Town Audio Fest - Calgary, 2019 (cowboy hats optional)Hide this!Advertise here!