Interest survey: Cow Town Audio Fest - Calgary, 2019 (cowboy hats optional)

Would you be able to attend a DIY Fest in Calgary during the summer of 2019?

• Yes! Definitely!

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Quite possibly.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Yeah... Maybe...

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Nah... Probably not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most likely not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely not!

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm toying with the idea of hosting a DIY Fest in Calgary next summer. I'm thinking sometime during the months of July, August, or September. Not during Stampede Week (mid July) as hotel pricing will skyrocket.

I'm thinking to rent a couple of rooms or event spaces at a hotel for a day. To help cover the cost, I'll need to charge admission (say $20).

Before I start putting too much energy into this project, I would like to gauge your interest. Please take a moment to fill out the survey.

Tom

Coordinate with some other events that might attract wives/girlfriends/partners, and you might be able to expand the potential guest list substantially. At the right time of year, the drive from as far away as the west coast can be pretty gorgeous, and not too difficult a sell.
Easier to load up big amps and speakers than by air as well.;)

Oh, and careful - you could be starting something :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Maybe I should have this during Stampede Week. Send the wives off to the stampede and they might not come back... :D

The drive from the Wet Coast is awesome. Once you clear Vancouver and start rolling across the lower mainland, it turns rather pretty in a hurry. If you go the right time of year, you'll have a dusting of snow on the trees (but not on the roads), which really turns up the pretty factor.

For those in the Seattle area, the drive out I-90 to Coeur d'Alene and north through Bonners Ferry and Crowsnest Pass is quite nice as well.

Tom

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Depends on what size you are targeting. I know the community halls in my vicinity, Tuscany, and can help you. The annual hamfest is held at the Eastside Church, which has a pretty big hall.

Ideally, the venue would feature multiple smaller rooms so we can have more than one stereo going at a time.

Cramming a bunch of setups into one room works better for headphones. :)

Tom

Ideally, the venue would feature multiple smaller rooms so we can have more than one stereo going at a time.

Cramming a bunch of setups into one room works better for headphones. :)

Tom

Well, if that's what you want, it would be be best to rent out completely one of the community halls. The newer ones are 2 story, so u can get a minimum of 2 listening rooms, more if you use their divider walls, but those are not very soundproof. Again, its about what your concept is.

If you wanted to line it up with another event so spouses would endorse the trip, the biggest event in Calgary that's non-Stampede is the Folk Festival Home >> Calgary Folk Music Festival

That's a pretty good idea actually. Thanks. Even if you don't have tickets for Folk Festival, you can still wander across Prince's Island, soak up the atmosphere, and listen to the music from outside the fence.

Tom

All these DIY meets you've been going to, are they now gettin' to ya? :D

Yep! All two of them... :)

I do enjoy the DIY gatherings. I doubt they do much to affect sales, but I do enjoy meeting people. From the attendee's perspective, there's also a lot of value in hearing with your own ears. That's not something that can be replicated with a forum post or email. It's also a good way for me to give back to the community.

Tom

For some of us retired old farts, the scheduling hardly matters - except of course if making part of a road trip from the coast, snow in the mountains would be nice to avoid, as would the sticky(?) summer months of July and August. How’d the first weekend after Labour Day sound to y’all- provides of course it doesn’t conflict with other event or preparations for same?

Sticky? Summer isn't sticky here. We're on the dry side of the mountains. After Labour Day would be nice as it avoids a lot of the vacation traffic in the mountains. It might make it a bit trickier for folks to take the time off, though.

I like the idea of aiming for the first weekend after Labour Day, though.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.