Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Starting a DIY audio club in New York
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2018, 07:24 PM   #1
heretohelp is offline heretohelp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Starting a DIY audio club in New York

This is the second time I am posting in 3 years. I would really like to start a DIY audio club in NY.
It's funny but a lot of friends have either retired or sold their businesses or have decided to reincarnate. Now I have so many speaker drivers and parts I would like to start a club that builds speakers, wires, amps and accessories.
Could I get some opinions as to where to post for a better result or your opinion in general?
Thanks so much
Nicholas Cremato
nicholas@mindspring.com
Old 31st July 2018, 07:32 PM   #2
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Nicholas, which part of NY? New York, NY? I'm in Long Island, and interested in the club!
Old 31st July 2018, 07:50 PM   #3
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

You might want to check Stereophile -- periodically they list local area clubs -- the New Jersey Audio Society has one DIY meeting per year.
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:42 PM   #4
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

We tried to have an amp club a few years back, with very moderate success. Finally, I decided to make it an Audio DIY Club and that really seemed to work quite well. The "Sound DIY Club" has a bit over 30 members, no dues or rules (other than mutual respect and decent manners). What has worked rather well is that our members come with a wide variety of backgrounds and skill sets...Heck, one fellow is actually a Rocket Scientist! Great fun...
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:16 PM   #5
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been to a few DIY events in the NY area over the years, but they seem to be few and far between. There was a Bottlehead group about 10 years ago, not sure if they are still meeting. I also went to a few NY Audio Rave meetups, but they aren't interested in DIY so much, I was usually the only DIY'er there. Good bunch though. I also don't know if they still get together.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:51 PM   #6
peraho is offline peraho  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm in Brooklyn and also trying to round up all the DIY folks I can - I want to have a beer and nerd out about projects!

I have regular get-togethers at my place and am working on getting a regular DIY event happening for those just getting started and can use a hand - fix that scratchy pot, make those cables, etc. I have more info at www.gowanusaudio.org.

Years ago I tried to do the same with a woodworking group - but "no one has any time!" - I get it, but in a city of 8+ million, I'm sure I can find a few of us!
Old 18th February 2019, 05:22 PM   #7
filtercoffee is offline filtercoffee  United States
diyAudio Member

Another Long Islander here who would be interested! Syosset, NY.
Old 19th March 2019, 08:03 PM   #8
peraho is offline peraho  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm having a DIY auidio event in Brooklyn on Wed, April 3rd - open to all.

Details on my site - www.gowanusaudio.com (this meetup is all totally free - I just want to hang out with like-minded folks in the area.)

It'll be at Makeville Studio in Gowanus at 119 8th St, Unit 208, 7pm. Get in touch with any questions or ideas.

I'll probably do a quick demo with some PSA veneers and soldering cables, then maybe some show-and-tell if anyone has any cool projects to share. Then some beers and hanging out.

It will less "serious" DIY this time around, but accessible and open to all, esp those who just want to dip a toe in, see what it's all about. I'd like to make it a regular monthly event, and see who else is in to this stuff!

Last edited by peraho; 19th March 2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added location address.
Old 19th March 2019, 11:35 PM   #9
heretohelp is offline heretohelp  United States
diyAudio Member

I would love to attend but I just had 10 levels of my spine fused.
Old 20th March 2019, 02:16 AM   #10
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

I've already signed up. I can bring my Raspberry Pi with an Allo Boss hat, and a pair of my Lance speakers that I built. Or maybe my 6B4G push-pull tube amp. I'll decide when the time comes unless you have a preference. Since you build speakers maybe I should bring a DIY amp?

Starting a DIY audio club in New YorkHide this!Advertise here!