Starting a DIY audio club in New York

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the second time I am posting in 3 years. I would really like to start a DIY audio club in NY.
It's funny but a lot of friends have either retired or sold their businesses or have decided to reincarnate. Now I have so many speaker drivers and parts I would like to start a club that builds speakers, wires, amps and accessories.
Could I get some opinions as to where to post for a better result or your opinion in general?
Thanks so much
Nicholas Cremato
nicholas@mindspring.com

We tried to have an amp club a few years back, with very moderate success. Finally, I decided to make it an Audio DIY Club and that really seemed to work quite well. The "Sound DIY Club" has a bit over 30 members, no dues or rules (other than mutual respect and decent manners). What has worked rather well is that our members come with a wide variety of backgrounds and skill sets...Heck, one fellow is actually a Rocket Scientist! Great fun...

I've been to a few DIY events in the NY area over the years, but they seem to be few and far between. There was a Bottlehead group about 10 years ago, not sure if they are still meeting. I also went to a few NY Audio Rave meetups, but they aren't interested in DIY so much, I was usually the only DIY'er there. Good bunch though. I also don't know if they still get together.

I'm in Brooklyn and also trying to round up all the DIY folks I can - I want to have a beer and nerd out about projects!

I have regular get-togethers at my place and am working on getting a regular DIY event happening for those just getting started and can use a hand - fix that scratchy pot, make those cables, etc. I have more info at www.gowanusaudio.org.

Years ago I tried to do the same with a woodworking group - but "no one has any time!" - I get it, but in a city of 8+ million, I'm sure I can find a few of us!

I'm having a DIY auidio event in Brooklyn on Wed, April 3rd - open to all.

Details on my site - www.gowanusaudio.com (this meetup is all totally free - I just want to hang out with like-minded folks in the area.)

It'll be at Makeville Studio in Gowanus at 119 8th St, Unit 208, 7pm. Get in touch with any questions or ideas.

I'll probably do a quick demo with some PSA veneers and soldering cables, then maybe some show-and-tell if anyone has any cool projects to share. Then some beers and hanging out.

It will less "serious" DIY this time around, but accessible and open to all, esp those who just want to dip a toe in, see what it's all about. I'd like to make it a regular monthly event, and see who else is in to this stuff!

Last edited:
I've already signed up. I can bring my Raspberry Pi with an Allo Boss hat, and a pair of my Lance speakers that I built. Or maybe my 6B4G push-pull tube amp. I'll decide when the time comes unless you have a preference. Since you build speakers maybe I should bring a DIY amp?

Ahhh, hope can make it to one of the future ones Nicholas!

Sounds great, Zacster - yeah, saw you on the list, thanks! Excited to get this going. I'm intrigued by the Lance speakers - could be an interesting comparison with my Fonkens with Mark Audio Pluvia 7s ("Markens"?)

We'll get it figured re all the goods - I have another friend working on a 2A3 based amp I'd love to hear. And if not this one, always the next one...

Last edited:
Just bumping this up - for anyone in the NYC/Brooklyn area, come by Makeville Studio in Brooklyn, tmrw eve, 4/3 for the inaugural Gowanus Audio DIY Meetup. (All free, of course...)

We'll do some demos, show off some projects, and hang out with some beers - and most importantly get to know who else in the area is into this stuff. PM me or check out www.gowanusaudio.com for more if you'd like to come by!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.