15th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST-2018

Good morning group:
I am coming down on Friday as well. I have a few things to do in the morning and should arrive in the mid afternoon.

Dave can I have my usual spot, near the gardne just outside the shop?

I will bring my burner and pot and pick up a bag of corn (25 or so) on the way down.

Are we doing Saturday dinner as a pot luck or is something planned?

Tom,

I was thinking of giving you the back deck with the showcase triple.

That would be epic. Thank you! That setup worked really well last time I visited.

I have a MacBook with an HD full of tunes and a decent Firewire DAC as a front-end.

That should be good. I also seem to recall that Chris has a receiver with a pretty decent phono stage if we feel like breaking out the turntable.

Bring your own speaker cables (or adaptors). Everthing here is banana plugs (many dual) or bare wire.

I have RCA->XLR and XLR->XLR cables for the amp inputs and SpeakON->Dual Banana for the outputs with me.

See you tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'm planning to stake out a camping spot (small "2-person" tent) for use on Saturday night. Unfortunately, I'll have to get an earlyish start on Sunday as I have a stop to make in town before my 2pm ferry.

I'll bring a bucket of potato salad for the potluck.

Tom

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'd like to be there Friday set up my Truck- Tent and help out. What can I bring?

Ruth has been saying bring salad. Snacks ar egood too. If you are coming Friday, lots of time to drive down to the Market Sat AM to pick something up.

dave

BTW, the BC smoke cloud is less intense up here on the mountain, but yesterday & today have gotten hazy. Weather guys suggest that much of it will go away late today or tomorrow.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave can I have my usual spot, near the gardne just outside the shop?

I’m moving my car out of that space today. You might have to fight Cal for it, but he isn’t coming till Sat AFAIK. Daniel has moved most of his cars so the place up on the hill off Rowntree will also be available.

I will bring my burner and pot and pick up a bag of corn (25 or so) on the way down.

I’ll tell Ruth.

Are we doing Saturday dinner as a pot luck or is something planned?

Ruth say Sloppy Joes & chicken something.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I also seem to recall that Chris has a receiver with a pretty decent phono stage if we feel like breaking out the turntable.

A Rotel pre-amp. Now in my main system — i needed the balanced out to drive the ACAs as monoBloks. Chris’ skookum RCA based phono is here thou, but it hasn’t been fired up for awhile.

See you tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'm planning to stake out a camping spot (small "2-person" tent) for use on Saturday night.

Lots of camping spots, including a new one where the wood shed was. Chris says you are arriving in Victoria today?

I'll bring a bucket of potato salad for the potluck.

We might have a lot of potato salad. Andy’s at the market down the hill is really good.

dave

Lots of camping spots, including a new one where the wood shed was. Chris says you are arriving in Victoria today?

Sitting in Chris' living room, test driving some of his new speakers with my MOD686 right now. :) I'll help him get a bunch of speakers to your place later this afternoon.

We might have a lot of potato salad. Andy’s at the market down the hill is really good.

I'll see what I can dust up. If you already have lots of potato salad, I'll see about some other salad type (pasta?) or whatever speaks to me in the deli section. I can grab some snacks too.

Tom

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Franz, it will be good to meet you. Kyle Fri or Sat afternoon?

1st arrival was Dana from Seattle just after 11, and Daniel with his miniLab setting up under the deck.

Looks like there will be lots of give aways for the WE + the usual bounty of door prizes including a bunchh from Madisound that arrived yesterday.

dave