15th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST-2018

Someone's using that term a bit too loosely. Just saying...

If stars align, ModuShop cuts holes in aluminum sheets according to their committed schedule, and FedEx delivers from Europe on time, I'll have a stereo Modulus-686 amp with me.

I'll bring longer cables this time as the 5' ones I brought last time made people question my manhood. Can't have that! :)

Tom

Let there be amplifiers. And there was amplifiers.

I'm winding down after spending my afternoon and evening putting my amp together for the meet. 2 x Modulus-686 powered by two Mean Well RPS-400-27-C. Should provide 125-130 W into 8 Ω and 200 W into 4 Ω.

Testing is tomorrow. Yay.

Those interested in more of the build process can find a stack of pictures starting here:
Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

Tom

Attachments

• Finished-2.jpg
    Finished-2.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 295
  • FinishedRear.jpg
    FinishedRear.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 293
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 300
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tom,

I was thinking of giving you the back deck with the showcase triple.

Stefan has been kind enuff to ship me a pair of the A11ms for this years diyFEST. We will be able to compare Eikona2 in the Hawking Memorial Obelisk, the Alpair 10.3eN in Pensil10.3, and the A11ms in either FHXL or the Woden ML-TL Chris is threatening to build before his shop priviledges are suspended.

I have a MacBook with an HD full of tunes and a decent Firewire DAC as a front-end.

Bring your own speaker cables (or adaptors). Everthing here is banana plugs (many dual) or bare wire.

dave

Gorgeous art in the shoehorning exhibited therein. Can’t wait to hear it.

It sound good to my ears for sure. I built two of these amps and have them powering my LXmini. Epic combination! I'm looking forward to hearing the MOD686 on a full-ranger.

Tom - this post prompted me to review your website again -some very well thought out products - makes me want to think about building nice things again.

Thank you.

Tom

Talked to Nerdorama yesterday . . . there's room to bring this year's creation to VI diyFest.

Bass units are (unknown) 15", top units are Celestion 6.5" with coax compression driver. Both units have a high Q, so both are suited for OB.
Parallel 4th order xover, ~150 and 3400 Hz.

This combo took a bit of coaxing to tame the response. ;)
I believe SCD and other fans of bass might like it.

Attachments

• coax_pair.jpg
    coax_pair.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 324
  • coax_rear.jpg
    coax_rear.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
hello John:
I have not really spent much time listening yet. I am hoping to get some time this week. Had a little trouble with filament power supply. Daniel hooked me up with a spare that goes in tonight.
The F4 needs a big swing pre-Amp to really sing.

See you soon