2018 Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio Get Together

Looking for an Epitek module 5070

Sounds Great - Saturday the 28th at 10 am is it.

There is very little info about Epitek chip amps on line.
The ones I have are model 5070 and are MOSFET units.
In the 1970's, I used to partner them a Dynaco PAT 4 preamp made from a kit.
This was Dynaco's first ss preamp and its sonics ( or lack of ) was really holding the Epitek units back.
I recently built a new the case for the Epiteks. Had I known how good their sonics are,
I would have put a bit more effort into the new case and wiring.
Certainly, they drive a pair of B&W 110 two way speakers without breaking a sweat.

So what I'm really saying is : I'm making excuses for the case and wiring now, before everyone sees it.
However, look carefully and the star ground node is on the chip amps themselves.

As for the old Hammond hummer : I may have a go at potting it after the 28th.

Paul

Hi Paul,

One of my Epitek 5070 modules has the negative swing side open (probably due to a short on the speaker wire. Would you know where I can find one of these modules? I also bought it back in the 70's and it worked fine up to now. It is not obvious where I can find one, even if I live near Ottawa where it used to be manufactured. I found your post (above) as a result of a Google search, which gave me some hope. I would not want to scrap the Amplifier that I built based on these.

Thank you,

Gerald

I'm just finishing up a design of a cathode follower preamp using a single 6gm8 tube.
Haven't been electrocuted yet.

If its OK, I could bring the preamp along with a complete system to have a listen to on the 28th.
If its OK, I'll need a table, hydro and a place to set up.
What time ?

Also, I have a DIY chip amp I made more than a few years ago in High School.
The chip amps are MOSFET units made by an Ottawa company called Epitek.
Anyone remember this company ?
The Hammond E core power transformer in it hums like crazy.

Paul[/QUOTE

Hi Paul,

One of my Epitek 5070 modules has the negative swing side open (probably due to a short on the speaker wire. Would you know where I can find one of these modules? I also bought it back in the 70's and it worked fine up to now. It is not obvious where I can find one, even if I live near Ottawa where it used to be manufactured. I found your post (above) as a result of a Google search, which gave me some hope. I would not want to scrap the Amplifier that I built based on these.

Thank you,

Gerald

I'm just finishing up a design of a cathode follower preamp using a single 6gm8 tube.
Haven't been electrocuted yet.

If its OK, I could bring the preamp along with a complete system to have a listen to on the 28th.
If its OK, I'll need a table, hydro and a place to set up.
What time ?

Also, I have a DIY chip amp I made more than a few years ago in High School.
The chip amps are MOSFET units made by an Ottawa company called Epitek.
Anyone remember this company ?
The Hammond E core power transformer in it hums like crazy.

Paul[/QUOTE

Hi Paul,

Thank you,

Gerald

I have seen the extent to which you have looked online. You have adds all over the place! Are you certain that you could not make a repair of the module?

Since I have found a working module through the diyAudio forum :), I actually started to take the failed module apart by chiseling out the putty portion apart from the heatsink that I plan to use for other purposes. I might be able to save the two MOSFETs but, sadly, the thick film portion gets destroyed.

When I bought the Epitek 5070 modules, circa 1977, I was told they had MOSFET's.
However, true confession time, looking at the data sheet, they don't.
Regardless, I wish they were still available.

Attachments

• Epitek datasheet pg.1.jpg
    Epitek datasheet pg.1.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Epitek datasheet pg.2.jpg
    Epitek datasheet pg.2.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 162
To point out , if you are considering making a pair of speaker cabinets ,
KJP on Bentley Ave . sells a 4 x 8 ft sheet of 18 mm thick Baltic birch plywood for $135 .
But note this is BB grade that does have occasional patches .
Plus they have other types of plywoods intended for cabinet making.

They will cut a sheet to the dimensions required for a fee of approx. $30.
This saves dragging a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood home and risk getting it scratched.
I figure the tolerance on their table saw cuts is something in the order of +/- 0.035 " worst case .

The dimensions of your plans can be transferred onto basic CAD software called CADstd Lite
which can be downloaded for free.
Then the sequence of table saw cuts can be figured out and this helps maximizing the yield from a sheet.
KJP is set up for imperial measurement - not sure if they are set up for metric.

For an adhesive , I've found Gorilla PVA glue to be quite good and its highly rated.
But it has one of the shortest working times.

... to point out , I have no affiliation with KJP.

Its been several years since we got together. Hint hint, anybody interested?

If there is a get together organized in the next few months , where people set up a few systems , count me in.
I could bring my next version of an ecc88 preamp ( with a gain of 1 or less ).
Could also bring an old pair of B&W 110's .

Most importantly I could bring coffee , kettle , bodum , milk and cups .