2018 Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio Get Together

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I N V I T A T I O N

So option 'D' it is.
All are invited. House is open between 11:30 and 4 pm.
I will PM the address to those interested. Please PM me if you need it.
No need to bring anything. Part of the idea is to lower the cost of our meeting.

There will be soup, coffee, bagels and cream cheese. By the sound of it, other beverages too. And of course music.

Looking forward to seeing many of you tomorrow!
Pierre

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So I did go... Thank you Grant for the heads up!

I showed up 30 minutes ahead of time, and 50 people were already waiting. We were a few hundred at the opening. Madness!

It was almost all classical music. Spent an hour and bought 30 LPs at 1$ each. It was near impossible to reach the few rock or jazz music there was so I did not even try. After an hour I went home to recuperate and thought I was done.

In the afternoon, Geneviève was curious about this event, so... back we went and I bought some more LPs. All classical were 1$ each, so it did not break the bank.

Of note: The library only sold a portion of Yves Pigeon's collection! Staff were bringing more out during the day (but not enough to replenish the quantity that was there at 10 am). And... there are more LPs still in storage.

This places sells records once a month or so. It is possible to book an appointment to « browse » the records ahead of time. Cool.

Alas it can be a chore to find the good LPs in their bins, since they are all mixed together. So in an ‘Angel Records’ label bin there are old mono records from the early 50s next to some European pressings, in turn next to a highly desirable Angel LP pressed by Toshiba, Japan...

On the positive side, most of the records I brought home are in excellent condition. Many are imports from England and Germany, and are quiet pressings. Some are dusty and will benefit from a cleaning. Still, I listened to a very enjoyable Decca live recordings of opera music highlights from the Arena Di Verona. Much nicer than I was expecting. It was a good day. Thanks again!

Good to hear that was worth going to Pierre and that it opens monthly.

Years ago I bought lots of literally hundreds of cd's off the net. I didn't keep many of them. Turns out there is an amazing amount of music around I'm just as happy not listening to.

It's great that you have a 15 minute drive, spend some time browsing and then 10 to 20 bucks later, another short drive, and you have a nice addition to your vinyl collection.

Thanks for sharing the info for vinyl fans in the Ottawa area if they are interested.