2018 Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio Get Together

Joined 2004
Paid Member
For Ron

Thanks for asking. Please see post #141 for the aikido tubes and other details.

My other preamps are a BOSOZ - a complementary MOSFET design, and a UGS - a complementary plus X feedback JFET design. They all sound nice but different.

I feel the aikido hits a sweet spot when paired with the F4 which is a follower amp. In all fairness I have not tried the UGS again after finishing the aikido. Perhaps I should compare them more seriously. Memory forgets.

Pierre

I don't have anybody's personal contact info. This is the only way I can reach the regulars. Maybe everybody is gone south. Way south where there is no internet.

Ditto here. South sounds really good today. -25 celcius with high winds and blowing snow here really sucks. Back to 0c (32f) in 2 days.

I added Arum Cantus AST tweeters to my setup and put the planars on the back. Also added a sub which I haven't finished yet. That's about all I've been up to but I'm likin' what I listen to.

See you soon.

Grant

Grant,
AC ASTs - I want to hear these, since I read good things about them. The BIG or the slightly smaller AST's? Probably the BIG ones, since the x-o in your was too low for the ribbon you used. Any insides on how the ASTs sound comparing with the older ones.

AST2560. The XO is active so it didn't stay too low after playing with a couple buttons. Mark was helpful and mentioned it was too low. We'll keep Mark.

I've only heard the drivers I have and they image very well and drive my dogs absolutely crazy for some reason :). I've put a mic on my setup (pre-Dirac though) and the mic didn't show them going really high hz's. It could be the way I was using REW or the mic or ….

Guess that I didn't subscribe to the thread... I just checked, since it's been a while, and saw the recent posts w.r.t. getting a 2019 meeting going. Sounds good to me, too.

There will be about 10 days in Feb when I'm not available, but s/b ok after Feb 23; nevertheless, if you guys want to schedule a planning meeting during that time, go ahead without me. As for the actual get-together day, I've got no significant events scheduled at this time, so as long as we avoid (as usual) weekends with Stat Holidays & school breaks, I'm in.

- Ron

AST2560. The XO is active so it didn't stay too low after playing with a couple buttons. Mark was helpful and mentioned it was too low. We'll keep Mark.

I've only heard the drivers I have and they image very well and drive my dogs absolutely crazy for some reason :). I've put a mic on my setup (pre-Dirac though) and the mic didn't show them going really high hz's. It could be the way I was using REW or the mic or ….

You mean I can stay???

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark. I am only crucial if we want to do an event at the Lodge again. This would be fine by me if there is enough new gear and interest. But there are other ways to get together and I was thinking this is something we could explore over lunch. Perhaps it is just too cold outside for my little brain to entertain moving kit to the Hall and back... Anyways, I am around these days and free for lunch most weekends. Missing you all folks!

Hi Mark. I am only crucial if we want to do an event at the Lodge again. This would be fine by me if there is enough new gear and interest. But there are other ways to get together and I was thinking this is something we could explore over lunch. Perhaps it is just too cold outside for my little brain to entertain moving kit to the Hall and back... Anyways, I am around these days and free for lunch most weekends. Missing you all folks!

Not a bad idea. Perhaps we could discuss some of these other ideas. A few of us have decent size houses. And it's much easier to not carry around all that equipment.

Luuuunchhhh

:D