2018 Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio Get Together

Let the Pigeons Loose (Large).jpg

Thanks Grant! I scare the kids enough already

One of my rules with photography is if people don't like the picture it disappears. Another one is if people don't want their picture taken I don't take their picture. I'm not the poppa-rotzi ;-).

I got the other set of PHL's in the prototype now and the sound is more balanced. Going just by specs the PHL's are stronger than the woofers I'm using. The woofers are DVC and the specs show 85db with a little one liner later in the description that says the specs are with the driver wired in series. If wired in parallel from what I'm reading there is a 6 db difference which would put them up at 91db.

The bass is boomy in the sonotube but I figure a real cabinet will help that a lot. I "turned the bass down" a little for now :).

Grant.

Great to have the date confirmed. Thanks Pierre!
I'll check with you about equipment to use with the Lotus speakers in a few weeks.

Dave, thanks for posting the latest on the Napoleons. I have drivers for another set. Nice to be able to compare the crossovers.

Dave - I also thank you. It is definitely appreciated that you do the development work, and, share with us.

Bearberry - I didn't remember that you had another set of drivers, for a build. Being opportunistic, I want to throw it out that if you are going to use your baffle template & makerspace again for yourself, Maybe I could shadow you since I haven,t built a box for mine yet.

Grant, it would be great if you could bring dirac to the meet, any chance of that? Will make speaker set up for your PHL creation a snap.

We might even be able to finish Mark's speakers with it?...

I'll be bringing Dirac on my computer and will use it to set up (using saved Spotify songs again - any song requests let me know). I'm using Dirac with my old Alto Stagedrive processor set flat. I won't bring a mic just my tablet with a measuring app on it. That will let me see roughly what's happening.

I won't be able to use the mic to set up a new session without web access but I'll be able to tweak an existing one.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Grant generously brought his computer and Dirac software to my place and we were able to confirm that it all runs fine off a cellphone hotspot. This product is very intuitive to use, and hearing the results is educational to say the least. It was a treat. Thank you Grant.

As for me, the Aikido preamp is finished and will be available for use at the event.

My latest toy is a Pansonic/National VP-7722 audio analyzer. It's capable of resolving down to less than 1 ppm THD or a few ppm THD+N (including readout of individual harmonic levels), plus SNR, IMD, flatness, and other tests. Is anyone interested in having this on site for pulling some numbers on their gear?

Grant generously brought his computer and Dirac software to my place and we were able to confirm that it all runs fine off a cellphone hotspot. This product is very intuitive to use, and hearing the results is educational to say the least. It was a treat. Thank you Grant.

You are very welcome Pierre. I had an enjoyable night. I'm hoping to bring along a new set of speakers to our April get together and will have the Dirac running with them.

Grant.

Thank you this could be of interest indeed! This is the cadillac, isn't it? Very impressive. I have seen one before in Ottawa.... Humm... You wouldn't be Aaron by any chance?
:wave::wave::wave:
:nod:

It's certainly an impressive machine, especially given the era in which it was engineered. As I understand it, the later models didn't reach the same low residual as this one, with the exception of the VP-7725d which has pretty graphical display and correspondingly high price.

Hmm... thinking about what else I could contribute that would not necessarily be on everyone's own test bench. I could bring a fast pulse generator and oscilloscope to look at amplifier transient/step response. Such testing can reveal the instability gremlins that remain hidden in other tests.