2018 Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio Get Together

thanks

According to medical experts? covid is no longer a problem (maybe). Its been several years since we got together. Hint hint, anybody interested?

It doesn't look like there is a screaming rush to get together yet. That being said I have 3 shots and have been covid free and intend to stay that way. If there are 2 or 3 people that would like to get together at my place and listen to my system I would enjoy seeing some of the audio group again. Bring toys if you want but they are not required. Part of being safe is not being in large groups which is why I'd like to keep it to 2-3 other people. I live in the Carleton Place area.

The speakers at my place are DIY. Electronics are not. Most recent additions include the Topping Pre90 preamp and SMSL M500 dac. I'm using Spotify for source so any other sources will need to be provided if desired. XLR connections are used now in my system but more options available.

Let me know if there is interest and we'll figure out a time/ directions privately.

I hope at the DIY audio group is staying safe and well.

Grant.

Last edited:
Grant, I also have been triple dosed and probably never contracted the covid. Starting Monday I will be going to CP 3 times a week in the mornings. So going to CP doesnt involve any long range planning. I was just looking at the SMSL dac line up just the other day. Something to do with $$ burning a hole in my pocket.

johnk

Well I'm triple vaccinated and caught COVID from my son the tail end of 2021. I think I survived, wait a minute.... Yes I survived.

I have a new fully digital DAC headphone Amplifier. No analog stage at all. Kind of interesting. I have three projects on the back burner that could be fast tracked. Never one to do things last minute of course. Ahem.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I'm triple vaccinated and caught COVID from my son the tail end of 2021. I think I survived, wait a minute.... Yes I survived.

I have a new fully digital DAC headphone Amplifier. No analog stage at all. Kind of interesting. I have three projects on the back burner that could be fast tracked. Never one to do things last minute of course. Ahem.

No analog stage at all doesn't qualify as Digital Analog Converter. You'd need a new acronym. Something starting with D obviously. Hmmm. DAMN. A digital - not analog maker of noise? Probably not the best marketing...

Yes you survived Mark just in case you needed to hear it from someone else :).

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Gents,

Long time no see! I went searching to see if anyone from the original Ottawa audio gatherings was still active, and low and behold I find you guys here on this thread from 2018 :)

It would be great to see you all again at some point. Also triple vaccinated, and now I suppose quadruple vaccinated after getting COVID during a work trip in the US a few weeks ago.

Would there be enough interest in setting something up this spring or early summer? Perhaps find a venue that would host like we have in the past?

Hope everyone is well, and it would be great to see you all again sometime.

Cheers,
Owen

Hi Gents,
It been a while, I have been at some of your events a couple of years ago, one time I had my TT and we played some Pink Floyd, Meddle through some full range. I had some good time, If anything is organized in the next coupled of months, I'll be happy to join in. As for DIY audio, I have some BLH with DX3 and a shoebox SE el84, and maybe a TT (not DIY, althrough there is a plinth project in the back burner) if needed to bring.
I've also been actively developing cables, I've started my hobby business in Transit Lab. I've put together a kit of cables comprising an IC (3 ft, RCA), a Digital (1,5 m, RCA) and a 10ft speaker cable pair (banana). I looking for some tester and would like to have feedback on their sound if any one is interested taking them home for a while. My website is http://transitlab.ca/, please have a look and let me know if any one would be interested.
Thanks.
Félix-A.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow... So it is here that the covid survivors of the gang have been hanging out? Am I sensing a tiny little bit of envy to... s o c i a l i z e ? Do you think this is allowed, and will we remember how? It has been a long while indeed and if I may ask... p l e a s e count me in. Happy to help but would prefer not during the month of May if possible. Too much on the go over the coming weeks. Then things clear up and I can see if we can still get that awful sounding Lodge. Although if someone has a better venue...
Cheers to all!

I noticed the updates a while ago, and should have posted, but reluctant to admit that I have nothing to show (yet). In any case, I would be happy to get together again.

Triple vaccinated and now several weeks past having caught the virus, so I should be part of the club in that respect.

- Ron

Apologies if I'm derailing the thread discussion, but hasn't been too active lately anyway...
I did not hear Stacey Kent at Pierre's place, but I have heard some of her CD's on my system(s).
I can appreciate her singing, so thanks to multisync's link (#272) to her upcoming performance.

In the interests of sharing with the group, I feel that I should mention that Melody Gardot is also touring, and I personally prefer listening to Melody Gardot (if I had to choose between the two singers)... she's in my top 5 fave female singers. It looks like Melody has two dates at the Montreal Jazz Festival, around the same date as Stacey's performance, but I wasn't finding the website(s) to be user-friendly for my purposes. However, I see that Melody will also be at the Ottawa Jazz Festival - Monday, June 26 - though I should mention that her Ottawa performance will be at an outdoor stage.

I hope that everyone is keeping well.

- Ron

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I know the feeling, some speakers I liked (PMC MB2 XBD, PS Audio FR30) many I did not either because of the music, the upstream source, or the room. This year I went to the Audio Fest with an objective of meeting people, and this made my day more enjoyable than when I go to listen. There are many audio entrepreneurs in Quebec and it was nice to chat with them. Also, Michael Fremmer was there! He thaught us a thing or two about turntable setup.