2018 Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio Get Together

Well we had a great meeting once again.

The DIY Audio Ottawa Brain Trust.JPG

All the core players were there. Looking like we are having a meet in April. Towards the end of the month. I have been sworn to provide a finished pair of loudspeakers ready for the event. I can't figure out why????? Could be my infamy, I mean famous ready the day of offerings? Sometimes even the crossover is done at the meet!

Dave has a fancy new DAC he is bringing. And Little John will bring a power amp.
I have a dual concentric LeCleach horn design I have to finish and bring. It will be a treat to demonstrate them.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello all! Just a quick word to say that I am checking on a date later in April that would suit as many of us as possible. First, I must clear my own calendar (deconflict from moving our son back to Waterloo) then with the General Burns hall availability. More to come soon.

I will bring electronics to complement tall John's full range speakers. Probably a tube preamp and a single-ended SIT power amp. John - would you like to experiment a few options before the show?

Also, if someone brings a turntable to the show, this would give me incentive to finish and bring a paradise phono preamp.

Looking forward to this! Pierre

I've been working on a prototype to bring to the April get together. As usual I'll bring all my non-diy parts with some sorta diy speakers. I may have a prettier version ready by then.

Not a single one of the drivers is available commercially now. The planars I got off of Fleabay in the mid 90's. I don't even remember what they are <insert scratching head emoticon here>.

I'm listening now though and expect there will be some positive feedback.

Grant.

DSC07769a.jpg

Looks like a PHL midrange. Yummy :lickface:

Yes Pierre. I dug them out of the bin. It's already a good learning project for me. The 8 inch driver is the Eminence dual voice coil wired in parallel. I'm going to try an MTM with the PHL's on the prototype next. That would take them down to a 4 ohm load among other things. Since the open baffle is already about reflecting sound it will be an interesting experiment. Gotta love prototyping.

Grant.