What are you bringing to Burning Amp 2017?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To keep this topic separate from the more general Burning Amp 2017 thread I'm starting this thread where you can post about what you are bringing to Burning Amp this year. EVERYONE WHO BRINGS ONE OR MORE DIY PROJECTS TO SHOW IN THE DEMO ROOMS WILL GET FREE ADMISSION!

In general we encourage people to team up with others to form systems. If you are bringing one or more components or loudspeakers and want to do this, please post about it here.

If you are still working on your project or are not sure, just post what you hope to bring anyway. This is a DIY audio show after all. Bring something that works, but don't worry about how it looks!

Here is the gear that I plan to bring (updated NOV 2nd):
1. Linux USB Preamp - this is a brand new project of mine that is a pre-amp-like interface that you plug into a system in order to change input, change the volume, etc. I plan to demonstrate this with the following system:
2. The active Charlita open baffle speaker: an active open baffle speaker based on the Manzanita. Software DSP run under Linux on a single board computer plus an audio interface serve as the system crossover.
3. Multipattern (monopole, cardioid, dipole) dual-subwoofer system.
4. Not exactly serious DIY, but a Behringer KM-1700 power amp with quiet-fan-modification will power the subs. Affordable and Class-H power!

What I need: sources! The system can accommodate additional analog sources, so if you have one you want to connect my system please contact me. This could include vinyl if you provide a phono preamp.

Last edited:
I will be bringing a pair of 13EM7 monobloks, Bottlehead Quickie-battery powered preamp, Marantz CD player and a pair of speakers-haven't decided which yet. For backup gear my SEX 2.1 amp and a Foreplay preamp. I will also bring my semi famous chocolate chip cookies.

I am requesting to be placed in a small room.

Cary
Bottlehead Ambassador

I will be bringing a pair of 13EM7 monobloks, Bottlehead Quickie-battery powered preamp, Marantz CD player and a pair of speakers-haven't decided which yet. For backup gear my SEX 2.1 amp and a Foreplay preamp. I will also bring my semi famous chocolate chip cookies.

I am requesting to be placed in a small room.

Cary
Bottlehead Ambassador

I can vouch for the cookies: GOOD!

Looking forward to checking out your gear again this year!

Planning to bring:

BAF2015 mini amps with SemiSouth R100s built in ACA enclosures

Remote control, stepped attenuator, buffered pre to drive the BAF2015 amps

VFET/SIT SRPP preamp

SE 6L6 tube amp

Altec 15095 transformer based passive preamp

and any number of other possible things...

I would love to hear the SIT pre and the transformer pre with a Firstwatt F4 if anyone has one to bring. Would also need appropriate speakers and a source.

The amps are available to pair with anyone who needs low power and good sound.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BAF 2017 Project

Measuring a channel of my special BAF 2017 project.

It's gonna be a big show this year. Hope you can make it. Bring you stuff!

I'll bring some PCBs to give away.

Stand by for the article. :)

@PSz: I'll have something we can try that preamp with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 1,403
I've been wrestling with medical issues (but hopefully winning), so not as much output as in previous years.

Possibly Maybes:

1) "Iron Garter" 6BQ5 P-P amp (paradoxically, with no garter).

2) "Amp Cramp" Lo-power Class A This will come, whether it's packaged or strung out over the table.

3) "Mirror Magic" Class AB

4) "Aleph McSIT" Class A amp

5) "Light Touch" Lo-power Class A

6) vacuum tube preamp or Linear Systems contest winner

Expect perhaps 3-4 items from the above list.

As usual, can bring Tri-Trix speakers, CD and if demanded, Vinyl source.

I've been wrestling with medical issues (but hopefully winning), so not as much output as in previous years.

Possibly Maybes:

1) "Iron Garter" 6BQ5 P-P amp (paradoxically, with no garter).

2) "Amp Cramp" Lo-power Class A This will come, whether it's packaged or strung out over the table.

3) "Mirror Magic" Class AB

4) "Aleph McSIT" Class A amp

5) "Light Touch" Lo-power Class A

6) vacuum tube preamp or Linear Systems contest winner

Expect perhaps 3-4 items from the above list.

As usual, can bring Tri-Trix speakers, CD and if demanded, Vinyl source.

yeah- hardly anything.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm pleased to show this original Zen v1 amp built on four Old Colony pcbs. '4xZen' is 10 years old this year. It was designed as a winter amp with active 2-way stereo speakers in mind, but its 4 channels can also be paralleled into 2 channels.

Attachments

• IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 677
Cross post with BA announcement thread.

This will be my first BA event - have missed the last few events but the intent was there. I've got some Aleph amps yet to be built and a Pearl phono pre that's just fabulous.

Am considering hauling a set of EdgarHorns up for someone to demo their amp(s) with. The cabinets are not pretty (as in unfinished) but were built by me under the guidance of the good Dr. Edgar in his shop. They really look DIY! (Hint: He signed them as the last set of Titans built.)

I'll need help getting them moved into the demo room, though. Also, I'll bring them in an open truck bed so if there's rain, I'll have to bail on the idea.

Any interest, if I can arrange it? In any case, I'm absolutely looking forward to the event. Thanks to all who have arranged it for the 10th time!

Cheers,

David in Santa Cruz

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The horn belongs in my room. :p

BTW, so far I have 256 channels of the original Amp Camp Amp channel kits
(with the later resistor...) consisting of boards, semiconductors, pots. You
will need your own resistors and caps.

Also, I will have some active crossovers for LX-minis and probably some
equalizers for full range speakers and a couple examples.

And probably some of the legendary Pioneer full range 8".

And Jack the dog will demonstrate his listening skills.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.