Burning Amp 2017: SUN NOV 12, San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I missed it, will there be any kits to build for newbies or kids (debating bringing my 11 old twin girls)

I will have two items made from kits from a company called Bottlehead. One item is a battery powered preamp and the other is a SET amplifier using a single 6DN7 tube for each channel. Bottlehead kits come with the best assembly instructions. If you can read to third grade level and know how to solder you can built one of their kits. Look for me at the show.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
However there won't be any "activities" for people to build things at the show.
There might be some ACA kits availalble.

The best activity for kids is to build a component, then take it to the show for people to admire. My 8yr old nephew loved that. Otherwise I don't think it would be that interesting to 11yr olds or younger.

We do think an Amp Camp ( where newbies build ACA amps) would be a great addition to the show. Maybe on a day before or after. Maybe next year..

However there won't be any "activities" for people to build things at the show.
There might be some ACA kits availalble.

I have it on good authority that there will a couple hundred ACA partial kits available at the show at a very low, low cost. These are boards, semis, and possibly some other components.

Make sure to bring some extra cash for these goodies, folks!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Am considering hauling a set of EdgarHorns up for someone to demo their amp(s) with. The cabinets are not pretty (as in unfinished) but were built by me under the guidance of the good Dr. Edgar in his shop.

They would be totally welcome in my room, where the intent is to have a
nice set of speakers for amp demos. They do bass as well?

They would be totally welcome in my room, where the intent is to have a
nice set of speakers for amp demos. They do bass as well?

I hadn't planned on bringing the horn-loaded sub that loads from about 70-80 hz down. It is about 7 1/2 feet tall. Here's a picture of the Titan and the sub behind it - this one from Bruce Edgar's own system.

Let me see if I can fit it all into the Toyota Tacoma truck bed. Thanks for all the interest, too.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire on Vimeo

Yes, please bring for Talks :
+ quality wireless microphones,
+ display slide projector with remote control
+ laser pointer and sometimes a
+ small bottle of mineral water can be useful too :drink:

Attachments

• E9EDF4A9-A042-4FB4-9142-A28C132E9AE3.JPG
    E9EDF4A9-A042-4FB4-9142-A28C132E9AE3.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 434
THERE IS AN IMMEDIATE NEED FOR A LECTURE COORDINATOR

Do you like to listen to the lectures at Burning Amp? Here is how you can help us get them up and running this year:

Lecture coordinator: Be present prior to and during the lectures. Set up projector. Bring laptop computer to connect to same. Get presentations (e.g. Powerpoint files, etc) from speakers and get them ready to go on the laptop prior to lectures.

The current urgent need is someone with a laptop computer that has Powerpoint and preferably a VGA (or possibly HDMI) external output.

Please contact me asap if you can help in this regard.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I hadn't planned on bringing the horn-loaded sub that loads from about 70-80 hz down. It is about 7 1/2 feet tall. Here's a picture of the Titan and the sub behind it - this one from Bruce Edgar's own system.

Let me see if I can fit it all into the Toyota Tacoma truck bed. Thanks for all the interest, too.

Looks like a tall order. Maybe we can come up with a smaller alternative
for the bass.

How about a little EQ on the smaller speaker?

I have some old mission 700 spkrs that I bought in the early 80's; the tweets are fine and the woofs are replaced with some seas aluminum cone drivers. almost no mods were needed other than a reducer ring for the woofer and some resistor taming of the tweet. I'll bring them with me along with my usual sercona preamps, dacs and amps.

I have a few spare preamps (all mostly the same; its my PGA preamp that I had last time, with some small changes). I can bring 3 or maybe more if people need extra preamps.

Attachments

• 35503163422_67fc2a0fa0_c.jpg
    35503163422_67fc2a0fa0_c.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 505
  • 28709043975_3039a661fb_o.jpg
    28709043975_3039a661fb_o.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cool Stuff! that's what we want to see! Bring it On!

I have some old mission 700 spkrs that I bought in the early 80's; the tweets are fine and the woofs are replaced with some seas aluminum cone drivers. almost no mods were needed other than a reducer ring for the woofer and some resistor taming of the tweet. I'll bring them with me along with my usual sercona preamps, dacs and amps.

I have a few spare preamps (all mostly the same; its my PGA preamp that I had last time, with some small changes). I can bring 3 or maybe more if people need extra preamps.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
More photos of your preamp builds please!
That's some really nice looking work. What was your fabrication process for the cases?

Edit - looking at your photo stream. Excellent!

Last edited:
thanks for the kind words. the process is using 'tab box' style and laser-cutting it.

I use this site to get the initial box 'tabbed': Box Designer

you get a .pdf file with the outline all done for you. you pull that into a 2d editor (I use corel draw since that's what our hackerspace uses to drive the laser cutters) and you add your shapes (cutouts) and lettering. an 18"x24" sheet of 1/8" acrylic is less than $20 and that can make most of 2 boxes of that size. you can see the standoffs that connect the top and bottom; that's what locks it all in and its glue-less so you can change things out if you break it, redesign it, etc.

I will have some blank pcb's and maybe some parts kits with me, if people are interested. its arduino-based and source will be released on my github site along with schematics and instructions.

if people give me enough advance notice, I can cut and bring some extra plastic panels with me, for those who might want to beta-test this DIY.

(been a work-in-progress for several years now; part-time, of course) ;)

> Dshoaf & Nelson P.

I can probably bring a new topology ring resonating bass horn (or 2) to handle bass with the edgar horns. These cover 35-200Hz (with a slope designed for flat response with average (lol) room gain factored in). They are reasonably sensitive for a small box (96dB) can play to 109dB peak. Definitely an audiophile implementation of the design (GD is +/- 2.5ms between 50 and 200Hz). They do require an LPF of some sort, (they might play acceptably well to 300hz, but not beyond).

The topology was co-designed by XRK971 who I'm sure would be excited to hear peoples feedback on the sound. It is one of the best bass loudspeakers i've ever heard so I would enjoy the chance to take in peoples creations through it.

Of course to make this happen I have to build one or two (starting today :), Let me know if debuting this alignment in this room sounds reasonable and I'll get started? (&If more than a few people think it sounds bad, we'll swap it out, so no pressure... :). Not worried, as I've kept building them for 3 years now (through 8 sig revisions).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
They look really tidy - and frankly, the enclosures take up most of the time for me, so that looks to be a neat solution. I've been needing a reason to join my local hackerspace... ;) Laser cutting it may well be.

Thanks, and again, great work!

thanks for the kind words. the process is using 'tab box' style and laser-cutting it.

I use this site to get the initial box 'tabbed': Box Designer

you get a .pdf file with the outline all done for you. you pull that into a 2d editor (I use corel draw since that's what our hackerspace uses to drive the laser cutters) and you add your shapes (cutouts) and lettering. an 18"x24" sheet of 1/8" acrylic is less than $20 and that can make most of 2 boxes of that size. you can see the standoffs that connect the top and bottom; that's what locks it all in and its glue-less so you can change things out if you break it, redesign it, etc.

I will have some blank pcb's and maybe some parts kits with me, if people are interested. its arduino-based and source will be released on my github site along with schematics and instructions.

if people give me enough advance notice, I can cut and bring some extra plastic panels with me, for those who might want to beta-test this DIY.

(been a work-in-progress for several years now; part-time, of course) ;)

ticket question

I have a question.

I am interested in going to this event but it doesn't say where you purchase the tickets. Are you supposed to just pay at the door? I would be flying in from the other side of the country so it would be a major pain if a couldn't get in door because I didn't have a reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.