14th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST-2017

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Getting geared up for the trek to the island this weekend. Making a list so I can check it twice. ;)

Was hoping to get my 2 yr-old spiral horn (cornucopya) project done for this year, but it is still "in work". I did have a chance to upgrade the crossover on my DR1 bookshelf speakers, and will bring a pair of each (original and upgrade) for comparison. Might be interesting to see (or hear) impressions from others.

Looking forward to seeing everyone Friday afternoon! :cheers:

I'll be tagging along with Dave and John and hope to bring something interesting. I'm afraid that I spent valuable time getting the house fixed up and painted rather than building the all-important Stereo gear! Oh well, it's finally finished (well sort of...) after approximately 40 years. I really was getting tired of having to sleep under my pickup truck...

See you all this weekend,
TerryO

Something that I don't think we've done often enough with these events is to attempt a roll call, as well as recruit volunteer kitchen duty. As you might well imagine, Dave's mobility will continue to be constrained for some time yet -he'll likely want to be parked on a couch somewhere - either on the driveway or upstairs.

Ruth has already been run off her feet running the household for the past 9 months, and taxiing Dave to various appointments, and may want to either join him there, or sequester herself to whatever quiet corner can be found.

So any assistance in food prep and manning the grille on Saturday would be greatfully appreciated. I'll be bringing a Watermelon / Feta salad, but as I'll likely be "quality control testing" - under supervision - my mixology skills will be taxed with anything further than a simple Dark and Stormy or G & T.

Cal, how about a nice marinated Pork Tenderloin - Susan has a great recipe that has yet to fail - I think I like it more than the boneless Lemon Chicken thighs.

Chris,
I'm not sure what sort of food or drink, if anything, that we can bring across the border but if you can make any suggestions we can stop on our way from the ferry and buy some stuff. I'm happy to help with chores any way I can. Just ask.

As for Terry coming along, I'm glad I have a roof rack.

John

So any assistance in food prep and manning the grille on Saturday would be greatfully appreciated. I'll be bringing a Watermelon / Feta salad, but as I'll likely be "quality control testing" - under supervision - my mixology skills will be taxed with anything further than a simple Dark and Stormy or G & T.

I don't mind helping in the kitchen, but I won't be coming up early on Sat. I can be available on Friday if need be, to do food prep, or "other duties". I'll be bringing pies as usual, but if you need something else, let me know.

jeff

We do have some fine beverage and grocery stores this side of the border - Millstream Village is well represented- and your dollar will go further here.

Yes, I can imagine even with working AC trapped with that flatulence for the full trip could be taxing. ;) Sorry Terry, maybe I'm just conflating my own last family road trip with Susan - decorum prevents me from revealing the winner there.

I don't mind helping in the kitchen, but I won't be coming up early on Sat. I can be available on Friday if need be, to do food prep, or "other duties". I'll be bringing pies as usual, but if you need something else, let me know.

jeff

Pies are great, and you've probably got a couple of open bottles on the liquor shelf that are taking up needed space. My latest pleasant discovery was the Victoria Distillers Empress 1908 - the blue is just for visual effect I was told during the short tour and tasting a couple of weeks back.

It's Ruth and my sincere goal to have Friday afternoon / Saturday morning "other duties" restricted to maybe opening the balky garage door, and finalizing set up of audio systems. Everything else is what it is.

you've probably got a couple of open bottles on the liquor shelf that are taking up needed space.

Yes, there's a lot. I see a few bottles of gin. Maybe SWMBO will allow a couple to escape. I disturbed a very large wolf spider looking thru the rum collection. I could've sworn there was a bottle of Gosling's, but it seems to be gone.

jeff

Last edited:
So what are you doin' tonight, just sittin' on your a$$ using some medical excuse? Not good enough David. You been using that for months and months now. We have to talk.

Seriously, the fact that it's happening this year is good enough for me. After my 2 year absence, I can't wait to be the guy everyone tells to 'TURN IT DOWN' and when I look up onto the balcony and grin, I know I have done what I came for. :)

k, I will email the Mrs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.