The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2017 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking forward to the meet, and it's the nicest weather we've ever had, but I'm not going to make it. Don't want to pass this bug to any of you. I'll arrange a listening opportunity in a couple of months for Ron and whoever else is interested. By then the speakers might even have a finish! Enjoy the rest of the day.

Attachments

• IMG_20170422_162746.jpg
    IMG_20170422_162746.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 190
Looks like you've done a nice job, Bearberry. We did end up filling a good part of the day, although you didn't make it. Dave took your time slot. And then, the power went out, so we were done early.

Yes, scheduling an audition of the BVR at a later date would interest me.

There is More to report from our get-together, but I need to turn in for the night.

- Ron

What REALLY happened...

WARNING ---- LONG POST

There were about a dozen that showed up for our get together this year. It was sunny and very nice weather wise. Things kicked off with John hauling out a pair of 3 1/2 inch drivers mounted in horns that he got from Owen. He used these to show off one of his 3116 based D class amps that included outputs to the pair of speakers as well as a sub. John repurposed an old case and some people were wondering what the good looking white material on the front and rear of the case were. John just cut a piece of thin mdf to size and painted it white. Sound was good considering the speakers and the size of the room. Cables were changed out. Dollar store specials gave way to multi-strand DIY which improved the sound.

Next up was a demo by Pierre. It turns he and his brother decided to build the same speakers, made up a 1 year plan. That was 3 1/2 years ago and one of the 2 pairs is built. 2 way speakers with Radian Beryllium drivers up top and I forget the number of the TAD's (I think 15 inch) below. Pierre described the xover and my holy memory (it was Sunday ;-) ) remembers something about transformers with 28 taps involved in the xover construction. Apparently the voicing is very flexible which lead to a binder full of observations. Everything had been modeled in Spice before the build. There was a "demo set" of speakers which got modified a lot and it sounds like they were 3 ways at some point. The cabinets were built by Mr. Kravchenko who did an excellent job. The fronts of the cabinets are made out of kitchen countertops apparently. They were the right thickness. Aluminum parts for the horn mounts were designed by Pierre and plans sent to the U.S. Pass F4 monoblocks, I think it was a Pass preamp, SACD or record for source. The sound was excellent with opera, jazz, and rock demoed.

The next demo was Dave with his first pair of speakers he ever bought playing new drivers. The tweeters were metal and rang a lot. The solution was the felt you can see in the pictures. The shape of the felt took a while to get right. A square shape worked like a horn and actually amplified resonances. In the end someone else had posted about their findings and Dave found the shape used here.

Next up was the Blackout. John hauled out his tube tester, Dave the tube to test. John hit the switch and EVERYTHING WENT BLACK. We looked for fuse panels and couldn't find them. Rumors started. There is no power within blocks of the community center. John suggested it wasn't his tube tester but the Pass monoblocks drawing too much power. I'll stay with the tube tester Blackout machine story.

Till next year. It was a fun day.

Blackout.jpg

Daves measurements.jpg

Dough - nuts.jpg

Johns 3116.jpg

Pierres horn detail.jpg

Pierres speakers.jpg

The setup.jpg

What does an xover do.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Mark - Thank you. I am just a jack of many trades and master of none :D.

Seriously, it was a fun event again - an opportunity to meet newcomers (Hello Philip and Steve) and to learn new things from fellow DIYers.

When I introduced my brothers' speakers, I ensured that I credited some of those who helped along the way.
  • For inspiration and encouragements: Lynn Olson, Martin Seldon and Gary Dahl.
  • For the build: yourself Mark (cabinets), Martin Seldon (horns) and Dave Dal Farra (crossover wizard).
  • For voicing: my brother Daniel, my daughter Chloé and Dave Dal Farra again.

Thanks to all who participated and made the event possible! Don't be shy to post comments and more pictures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.