The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2017 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like one better for carrying up and down stairs as well. :D

That would be a fun comparison, but that room's sonics superimpose on everything. The speakers for my son were scary bright in there, not at all at home: on axis is 2 dB down, 30 degree is 5 dB down on top end. And everything in there sounds like it has a big ol bottom end (rapper approved!)

About the Hypex: at first I thought it was flat and boring, the worlds best opamp. Then I replaced the pre and it was night and day improvement. Its very neutral and the old passive pre-amp flat sound dominated. Far as I can tell, the NC400 sounds like allot of nothing. System matching particulars:
- wants to be fed from a low source impedance
- gain is kind of low for the power level
- ~ 0.5 dB down at 20 kHz, ~ 0.1 dB down at 10 kHz

Pierre, I understand F4 servers dual purpose as heater in the winter beside driving your spkrs. I was thinking of getting some 'valve'olines' for winter listening/hibernation period for more fluidity in the sound but really good 50W/ch doesn't really come by that easily plus space is limited, but a decent preamp wouldn't hurt I guess, ah something like Audible Illusions Modulus 3 I heard in one Ottawa basement long time ago :)

well then no tube preamp for Hypex, unless with some current capable buffer. Maybe next time we can bring some rags to tame down highs and echo - the big room is just terrible as far acoustics goes. Maybe make some portable absorbers with fiberglass and fabrics outside, there has to be something to tame that place. Maybe set the system on the long wall...
Going back to spkrs I was thinking of maybe some SB, maybe even Satori, but the limited efficiency kind of turns off - damn you people with big spaces and horns, now I have to suffer in some kind of audiophile hell after hearing your loudspeakers and what they can do :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
Hush, hush baby don't cry... well kind of like the green devil in Just for Laughs

I found this link here at diyaudio.

AUDIOCRAFT: Do it yourself Hi FI publication from 1955

it has hundreds of full length magazines which are searchable. If you click on the link above you will be taken to a HI-Fi magazine from the 50's with many how to articles. The ads havent changed much, promising hi fi improvements to sound with a few small changes to your equipment. In a 1955 ad, a Heathkit Wiliamson type amplifier was $50. That was my dad's weakly salary back then.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.