What Ya Bringing to Burning Amp 2016?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Charlie let me know it was OK to post this. I will be bringing two systems, one will be a repeat from last year, a TDA7297 amplifier, Sony Playstation, and a pair of Braun Output C speakers. Funny thing, this system received more attention than my main system at last years BA. I will also be donating two of these amps for the raffle. Haven't decided what I will bring for my main system yet.

Please post what you will bring.

Last edited:
Any or all (probably not) of the following:

ACA I (monoblock wedges - brought them last year)
ACA II (dual mono fan-cooled "Amp of Steel" - work in progress)
Stereo F5
Bottlehead Smash tube preamp
B1 buffer
Maybe High Octane phono preamp
Pioneer PL-530 TT (not DIY, obv... if I can tame its hum prior to BA)
Frugelhorns w/ Mark Audio Alpair 7s

Anyone know how big the venue is compared to last year? I've got a lot of stuff (at least my wife thinks so) for a relative newbie and don't want to take space from more worthy contributors...

:cheers:

Edit: Forgot to add the F5, B1, and Frugelhorns were to greater or lesser degrees my son's projects also. Credit where due.

Hello to everybody.
I hope to join the BA16 with the Switchinglow Project Evaluation Kit (prototype s/n bA16...in hex format....), that is a split power supply bridge with 4+4 ECC99 running at 220KHz as a true Class-D (look at my other post in this thread for more details).

I've shown its twin s/n 0002 yesterday at the Gran Galà dell'Alta Fedeltà in Padova and, for those are travelling in Italy during these days, it will be on display also at the European Maker Faire in Roma next week-end.

If in Ft. Mason there will be some simple loudspeakers to connect (in series) to my prototype, we will hear some music.
Otherwise we will see only 1KHz test signal and related PWM waveforms with the oscilloscope and the load resistor I'll bring with me.

Grazie, ciao.
Marco

Possibles (some more than others) expect at least 3 things...
"Amp Cramp" low power SE Class A amp powered by ext. 24V SMPS supply
"Das Ist Aber Schade" SE HV transformer coupled Class A amp
"Iron Garter" hybrid 6BQ5 P-P amp (no garter, though)
"Aleph McSIT" Class A amp
"Mirror Magic" Class AB amp based on "Le Mutant" w/ lateral MOS outputs
"Le Fake Lite" fake SIT SE amp with light bulb load
2015 BA Linear Systems contest winner preamp (RIAA + Lineamp)

sources/speakers
hex closed box or Tri-Trix speakers
Planet 10 spkrs for low power amps
Denon DP-1100 TT with DL-160 HiOut MC cartridge
Cal Audio Labs CL-15 CD player
maybe Discman-type player for small systems
lotsa cool, challenging music to test systems

Last edited:
I will bring the following:

- Laptop computer with music library
- α10 analog preamp with relay-based stepped attenuator and input/output selector
- γ3 fully-differential DAC with galvanic isolation for all digital inputs (USB, S/PDIF, AES/EBU, optical)
- β24 fully-differential power amplifier
- Behringer DCX2496 DSP crossover with κDCX fully-differential analog board upgrade.
- (maybe) A pair of bookshelf sized speakers, TBD
- I may also bring a few other smaller DIY odds and ends.

You may have seen some of these in previous BAFs. My modified Behringer DCX2496 is brand new, but it will probably be a "display only" item because I will not be setting up a bi-amp (or tri-amp) system.

I'll also partner up with JShadzi for his speakers if logistics and room assignments allow.

I'm going to bring a new project that I'm working on; a PGA chip based preamp that is arduino-controlled (of course, lol) and I'll have some blank pcb's with me for those that want to build this.

28709043975_3039a661fb_o.jpg

its a 4" square board that has a TI tpa6120 phones amp chip, pre and post buffering on the PGA chip, relays for input and output selection, support for high-res opto rotary encoders and common (adafruit) LED i2c LED displays. you can use your choice of bluetooth (hc05) or xbee for RF remote control and there is a 2nd box that can 'bridge' IR remote control to RF so you can use your home/spare IR remote to control this. via a small linux board (eg, rasp pi) there will be remote web control of the preamp, as well.

(the photo shows it stacking on top of an amp and music player that also fit the same style laser-cut box and create a vertical stack, saving some desk space).

my talk at BA this will will cover the design and implementation of this project that ocurred during this year.

Tentative BA gear listing...

Really looking forward to this years BA event! 2015 was a lot of fun seeing all of the great projects and being able to share what I had brought. This year, looks like:

DIY belt drive turntable, w/Clearaudio arm and Benz LOMC
Pass Pearl 2 phono stage
Pass FET linestage
Possibly my MacMini music server (need to find a DAC)

Will also be showing various designs of horn loaded speakers.

Also trying to have my latest turntable design ready for show, depending on time and available cash....

Cheers,
Jim.

I'll be bringing my digital server system:
  • rapberry pi
  • 7.1 channel receiver
  • 3 way open baffle speakers

If someone needs an analog source, I can bring my turntable/tonearm combo. And if we don't have enough speakers to go around I can bring my Alon Model 1s as well. Let me know if you would like either.

I'll be bringing my digital server system:
  • rapberry pi
  • 7.1 channel receiver
  • 3 way open baffle speakers

If someone needs an analog source, I can bring my turntable/tonearm combo. And if we don't have enough speakers to go around I can bring my Alon Model 1s as well. Let me know if you would like either.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing your setup and meeting you.

Just to be clear, I can just show up at 8:00am on the 13th with my gear, no need to request a table or a room for my setup in advance, or anything like that?

Correct. There are no room assignments this year, except for Pass and Linkwitz, who each get about half of a room. NP will bring a system with some small speakers, and others can try substituting their own speakers or other equipment.

I'm aiming for the "self organization" of the diy spaces. If you are demoing your gear, please note that you will need to set up your own table (just get one from the rack) and then take it down after the show.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.