"The Puget Sound!" DIY Speaker Contest for 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a picture from Jay, with his diy Satori 2-way from the contest, mounted on sonotube stands made for them. There was a pair, by the way. ;)

Attachments

• Satori_2.jpg
    Satori_2.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 330
uh oh, Dave beat me to it

It has been forever since I put up a picture here, and can be a little backward with my computer skills. But thanks Dave for putting those up. I was about to do it, really! Or die trying.

Open baffles:
18" Tymphany with a pretty low QTS! Makes awesome bass.
12" Eminence 12LTA---measures flat near-field below 1000hz, but the open baffle seems to give it a hump at 400-500hz.
Fostex FE126e was a real pain in the ***(the 4-6khz bump)---AND---I have to get more sophisticated about my measuring and designing.
Vifa 1"dome was quite well behaved.
There is a Dayton mini AMT tweeter on the back with it's own crossover section, so---the Open Baffles are really a 5way! Kinda. Sorta.

The Curvys are mostly vintage drivers:
JBL LE14a----1970's
JBL LE10a--- 1970's or late 60's
Fostex FE126e circa 2008
EPI inverted dome circa 1979

Dave R's 3way design for the top 3 drivers works well. I tried to add on a passive crossover section for the LE14a, but it does better with Rene's electronic crossover, or might do OK with a plate amp set around 50 hz. The cabinet is a little too small (about 2-2.5cuft)for the the LE14a and the LE10a together. And it probably has a mode at around 100hz, due to it's height. Just guessing. There are a passive radiator AND a port on the back side---go figure---you might as well, I more like guessed. It actually is an improvement this way, they had a resistive port and tuned port to start with(which worked on my 2012 effort with a LE 14a and similar cabinet volume).

Howard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.