Burning Amp 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have not heard anything about a live feed of this years BAF like Mike did last year so I am going to assume the ones not able to attend are going to have to wait on Linear Systems to post on youtube. I really enjoyed last year's live feed.

There is no wireless or wired internet service available at the Fort Mason venue, therefore, no live video feed.

Last year the venue host was gracious and let us use their very high bandwidth connection. Nothing like that this year I am afraid.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is no wireless or wired internet service available at the Fort Mason venue, therefore, no live video feed.

Last year the venue host was gracious and let us use their very high bandwidth connection. Nothing like that this year I am afraid.

Too bad - we could have had live exchanges between BAF and European Triode Festival in Kopenhagen! Lots of mutually recognized names!

Jan

No Internet?! That's going to make things a little tricky for me. I guess I'll figure it out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a quick note sent to my by Gian of Modushop:

In addition to the raffle of the 4U chassis (this is separate from the Burning Amp Raffle!) he will be bringing a couple example of the front and rear plate customization that they offer. I show a couple of example pics, below. Customization can even be digital screen printing in color! For more info, see this link:
https://www.modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/category&path=187

Modushop uses HiFi2000, the same supplier as the DIYaudio shop for their chassis. They provide very high quality metal machining out of northern Italy, long known for this kind of expertise and craftsmanship. Make sure to stop by and talk to Gian and enter the raffle to win the 4U chassis!

Customization Examples:
DSCN8886---Copia-1100x1100.jpg

P1050510-1100x1100.jpg

stampa-digitale-5---Copia-1100x1100.jpg

I'd like to hear your Mets. I remember the 8" Hemptone Mets from the 1st Burning Amp. They captivated the audience in the firehouse. IIRC they were powered a tube amp built in an upside down basting pan... They sounded really good!!!
I will be attending Sunday. If desired, I can bring the Fostex Metronomes I brought last year. There was another local builder who was making the Seas A26 speakers. I can bring a set of original Dynaco a25's for comparison.

-Tom-

Does anyone have a good radio lapel microphone?
I have studio microphones only for PA

The LIS folks who are videotaping the talks should have a wireless lapel mic (or at least they did last year), but I am not sure if they are set up to split the feed. Maybe they can run it through your system first?

A handheld mic would be a good idea as a backup.

INFO - ROOM ASSIGNMENTS - WHERE TO FIND BA - TICKETS

There will not be any signage at Fort Mason that will help you find Burning Amp, so please pay attention to the following information about HOW TO FIND BURNING AMP AT FORT MASON.

MAPS
I have attached two maps. Please look at them
  • One shows the lower Fort Mason complex with the Firehouse and Building C circled in red. These are the two spaces that we will be using this year. Please familiarize yourself with where they are and how to get from one to the other. The raffle, lunch, and talks will be held in the Firehouse (open 8-3). Equipment demos are taking place in Building C on the SECOND FLOOR in the north side of the building ONLY. Do not go to the south side of the building - that space is no longer available to us.
  • The other map shows the room numbers and other details for Building C. There are no room assignments EXCEPT for Nelson Pass and Siegfried Linkwitz (following precedent) and LIS/Modushop. NP will be at the north side of room C230 and SL will have the north side of room C205. Room C220 is reserved for vendors (Linear Integrated Systems and Modushop), water, and snacks. Everyone else, please try to find a place for your gear and be considerate that others are also trying to do the same. Tickets (to attend Burning Amp, lunch, and raffle tix) will only be sold where the red asterisk is placed, in the hallway outside the demo rooms.
TICKETS
Please read the previous bullet point for info on where to buy tickets. Entry cost is $20, lunch is $10. Vendors and speakers get free ENTRY.

WHERE TO FIND BURNING AMP AT FORT MASON
Please see the attached map. BA is being held in the buildings circled in red.

ROOM ASSIGNMENTS
Please carefully re-read the text above for that information.

LOADING YOUR GEAR INTO BUILDING C
I have drawn in and labeled the ramp on the east side of Building C (see attached map). Go up the ramp to the loading dock and then into the first floor foyer. A small Elevator can be used to bring large equipment up to the second floor meeting rooms. Stairs are located past the elevator at the end of the foyer. If you have small gear that you can carry, please use the stairs to reduce the bottleneck at the elevator.

ROOM SETUP
If you are demoing equipment/speakers you are responsible for setting up table(s) and taking them down at the end of the show. Tables and chairs will be provided by FM in racks in Building C. In the past these were more or less set up around the walls of each room and this seemed to work well for the most part, but it's not a hard and fast rule. Please leave room around the area where speaker demos will take place so that people who are listening can sit or stand at an appropriate distance.

POWERING YOUR EQUIPMENT
Keep in mind that there are electrical outlets in the rooms but these may not be near your location. Please bring an extension cord or risk being without access to mains AC.

Please double check that you have all the cables, wire, power cords, etc. that you will need. There will not be any spare cables on hand this year and there is nowhere nearby to buy them.

PLEASE PREPARE A DESCRIPTION OF YOUR PROJECT
Please compose and print out a couple copies of some text that describes your project. You will not be able to be present all the time, and this can give people some valuable info on your project without you having to repeat it over and over.

Attachments

• Fort Mason BA bldgs.PNG
    Fort Mason BA bldgs.PNG
    121.8 KB · Views: 401
  • FM Building C.png
    FM Building C.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Does open carry mean that you could bring a beer in a cooler and leave it in your car and after getting your food, go outside , get the beer and eat on the dock of the bay? If so that's a bit of a breakthrough. And makes it even more important NOT to bring it into either building. The weather is exceptional ATM, and with the Firehouse at ground level it really makes it pleasant to stroll around a bit and walk between the venues.

ALCOHOL
There is no alcohol allowed within the Burning Amp venue, but you can open carry on the FM grounds. There is a pub with full bar in Building A (called 'the Long Interval') where one get get some suds and meet up after the BA venue has shut down.

Last edited:
The LIS folks who are videotaping the talks should have a wireless lapel mic (or at least they did last year), but I am not sure if they are set up to split the feed. Maybe they can run it through your system first?

A handheld mic would be a good idea as a backup.

I don't think it would be a good idea to have 2 mics on a lapel. ;-)

Last time everything was fine except Nelson running away from both microphones periodically. He is not a singer! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.