Burning Amp 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can I bring and setup my PA Saturday evening, in advance?

The earliest we can get in is 8am Sunday. We need your PA gear in place by about 10-10:30am so that we can do a check on everything and coordinate with LIS for videotaping. It's better to get to Fort Mason earlier than later, because of the large show going on that day in one of the large buildings on the waterfront. If this presents a problem for you, please contact me.

Are we allowed to demo our stuff at the Burning Amp? Thinking of bringing a pair of extremely high quality micro speakers and would very much like to get some feedback if possible.

Yes, by all means, Burning Amp is for demo-ing your audio projects!

Do you need others for sources/amps, etc. or are you bringing everything you need?

Yes, by all means, Burning Amp is for demo-ing your audio projects!

Do you need others for sources/amps, etc. or are you bringing everything you need?

I might need a CD player if someone wants to listen to their own CD. This is meant as a portable setup, and I don't normally live in the Bay Area, so I don't have a CD player. Otherwise the speaker is internally amplified with a pair of ICEpower amps and the miniDSP will be used as a preamp.

@ Burning Amplifier 2016 Stuff Team

DiyA amateurs who can't participate in the festival or are outside USA hope
about video records and real time live web streaming.
Any preparation ?
Thanks and my kindest regards :happy1:

Good question. Unfortunately, we can't live stream the event this year - there is no internet service at the venue. But Linear Integrated Systems is planning to videotape a walkthrough of the demo floor as well as each presentation. These will be posted (on youtube?) for viewing after the show is over.

Some USEFUL INFO on food and drink at Burning Amp:

FOOD:
  • AM COFFEE: WE ARE NOT PROVIDING COFFEE this year. Sorry. Pack a to-go cup, or stop by "Goody Cafe" in Building A at Fort Mason. They also have pastries and such. The opening hours for Goody Cafe on Sunday are 8am-3pm.
  • SNACKS: Light snacks (chips, trail mix) and bottled water will be available during the show (while supplies last) in the meeting room where Linear Integrated Systems and Modushop are set up, on the second floor of Building C.
  • LUNCH: An Indian cuisine self-serve lunch menu (see earlier post in this thread for more info) will be available for $10. This will be served in the Firehouse at about noon and will include meat and veggie main dishes, naan and roti, a couple of different basmati rices, a mixed greens salad, and kheer for dessert.
  • OTHER FOOD OPTIONS: Greens Restaurant is also located in Building A. The menu features "inventive & sustainable vegetarian dishes". Open Sunday 10:30AM–2PM and 5:30–9PM.

DRINKS:
  • WATER: Bottled water is available from LIS and Modushop.
  • COFFEE: Get coffee at "Goody Cafe" (see above).
  • ALCOHOLIC DRINKS: Please do not bring alcohol into the Burning Amp venue. There is a cool pub in Building A at Fort Mason called the "Long Interval". If you wants some suds, bubbly, wine, or a mixed drink please stop by the pub and enjoy. This might be a great apres-Burning-Amp meet up spot...

FARMER'S MARKET:
There is a farmer's market held each and every Sunday at Fort Mason, 9:30am to 1:30pm. Might be some food vendors there. Fort Mason Center Farmers' Market features local farms and organic produce for San Francisco residents and visitors. Local farms sell Heirloom vegetables and cultivated varieties of fruit. Fort Mason Center is located in the Marina neighborhood of San Francisco. Farmers' Markets provide a healthy, family friendly weekend activity and a great local grocery shopping experience where you can buy direct from the farm. For more info, see:
http://www.cafarmersmkts.com/fort-mason-center-farmers-market
IMG_0983.JPG

Last edited:
Besides the free stuff from NHT, is other free stuff welcome? I was in my storage locker today, and saw some stuff I won't be using but is too good to just toss. Any space for a "free to good home" area?

Yes, there is a raffle. People bring quality stuff that they want to donate to the raffle so that other DIYers can make use of it. If you have some parts or gear like this, feel free to bring it.

The raffle is taking place at the Firehouse around noon.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sorry to miss this, do you guys do some of the challenging (for some) items like the stir fried goose innards?

Is that a request for inclusion, or warning? :D :D :D

The menu will include:
Appetizers: Samosas
Mixed spring greens salad (with dressing)
Assorted Naan (3-4 types)
Vegetarian main courses (2-3 options)
Non-Vegetarian main courses (2-3 options)
Dessert (e.g. Kheer)

My memory of last year's food was that it was 1) pretty tame and 2) really, really yummy.

REMINDER: BURNING AMP TIDBITS - PLEASE READ!

Burning Amp 2016: Fort Mason, CA.
Hours 8am-5pm plus apres party at the Long Interval pub.

VOLUNTEERS AND SETUP:

Instead of a team of volunteers, this year we are all in it together. On the plus side, because we are using the Firehouse for the lectures, raffle, and lunch and paying for it, all the chairs and tables in the Firehouse will be set up by Fort Mason. Yea! But in the Meeting rooms, where we normally have all the DIY gear on display, we will face the same setup tasks as in the past. That is to say Fort Mason will leave carts of chairs and tables here and there and our job is to set these up as we see fit. At the end of the day we need to return all the tables and chairs to the carts and do some minor cleanup. This is where we can all pitch in. If you are bringing gear, expect to be a volunteer as well. In fact if we all head up there in the morning when we arrive this can be done in 5 minutes. So please think about leaving your gear in the car when you arrive and take one trip inside to lend a hand and find your spot. Then go back and begin unloading. At the end of the day, after you have packed up, please think about lending a hand to move tables and chairs from your area back into the racks. If we all pitch in this will be easy peasey.

PARKING ADVISORY:
Fort Mason has a large pay parking lot. This year there is a large event and a Farmer's Market taking place on the same day as Burning Amp and their attendees will compete with Burning Amp attendees for parking. The Burning Amp venue spaces should open at 8am. The other show (Western States Crafts Fair) opens at 10am, but its vendors may arrive earlier. The Farmer's Market start's at 9:30am I think. If the parking lot is full you will need to find parking in another Fort Mason lot or nearby paid parking. PLEASE TRY TO ARRIVE EARLY via the Gatehouse entrance to avoid lugging your gear from 1/4 mile away. Sorry this is out of our control. See this map for other parking areas in Fort Mason:
http://www.parksconservancy.org/assets/park-improvements/pdfs/fort-mason-map.pdf

ENTRY FEE, RAFFLE TICKETS, LUNCH = $$$
Here's the skinny on costs for the event. Thanks to the generous donation by FirstWatt (Thanks NP!) we are able to keep the entry ticket cost down to $20 this year. Lunch will be offered for $10, which will get you a heaping plate of Indian Food (see earlier post in this thread for the menu). You will get some raffle tickets as part of the entry ticket charge, and additional raffle tickets MAY be available for an additional cost just prior to the raffle. If you attend Burning Amp and are NOT an invited speaker or vendor, be prepared to pay the entry fee (cash only).

RAFFLE OF DONATED ITEMS:
This year's raffle will be held in the Firehouse over the lunch hour when everyone will be down there anyway. If you would like to donate items, please consider whether these would be of interest to someone. Please do not use the raffle to dump old junk! And please check to see if your item was actually taken away after the raffle has concluded and if not, please take it back home with you. Thanks for your consideration on this point.

PLEASE PREPARE INFO ON YOUR DIY PROJECT
Burning Amp is much more interesting when people can read about what they are looking at. Wow, here's a nice electronics chassis with some connectors on the table! What is it? Don't make attendees GUESS. PLEASE prepare a short description (e.g. 1 page or less) of your project at home, print it out, and bring it with you. You cannot always be there every second to explain your project, and even if you are this will give someone other than the person you are talking to at the time a chance to get an idea about it. Some point you can include are: What is it (preamp, amp, headphone amp, etc)? Did you design this or did you build a kit? What is novel about it (parts used, construction techniques, etc)? What are your own thoughts about it, and would you recommend it for someone else to build, etc. This kind of info can make browsing around the floor much more informative and can cover the basics so that you will not need to repeat them over and over again.

ALCOHOL
There is no alcohol allowed within the Burning Amp venue, but you can open carry on the FM grounds. There is a pub with full bar in Building A (called 'the Long Interval') where one get get some suds and meet up after the BA venue has shut down.

VENDORS: LINEAR INTEGRATED SYSTEMS and MODUSHOP

This year we have two vendors who will attend. LIS will have product samples on hand, literature, t-shirts to sell, and will demo/display a head phone amplifier evaluation board. Please stop by their tables upstairs in the small meeting room. Gian from Modushop will also attend and will be raffling off this Deluxe 4U steel amplifier chassis! Snacks will be located in the vendor room, so please stop by for some munchies and check out the gear on hand!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've heard from a few people and am looking forward to seeing those who have responded, and hopefully more! All are welcome !

A reminder and invitation to all for the -

Saturday night (Nov. 12) pre-BAF dinner. 6:30PM(ish)

Great Eastern Restaurant (In the heart of Chinatown. Near the Portsmouth Square parking garage if you are driving)

The food is amazing. Last year literally everything was cleaned of the plates, we loved it so much. It's one of my 'must-go' to SF restaurants, the food is wonderful. :) :)

649 Jackson Street
San Francisco, CA 94133

Phone: (415) 986 - 2500

Great Eastern Restaurant | San Francisco, CA 94133 (Humorously simple website)

Please PM me so I can coordinate. Thanks!!

-Jim

Last edited:
Is that a request for inclusion, or warning? :D :D :D

The menu will include:
Appetizers: Samosas
Mixed spring greens salad (with dressing)
Assorted Naan (3-4 types)
Vegetarian main courses (2-3 options)
Non-Vegetarian main courses (2-3 options)
Dessert (e.g. Kheer)

My memory of last year's food was that it was 1) pretty tame and 2) really, really yummy.

I saw Chinese, is this a stealth menu ? Just curious and confused.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.