Burning Amp 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brand new member here. I want to bring my husband to Burning Amp 2016 for his birthday. Never been before. Lots of questions: Is there a price for admission? Is it hard to get tickets (i.e. does it sell out quickly)? When and how does one purchase tickets? Thank you so much for helping a girl out!

There is no limit on ticket sales and you can arrive anytime, although the event is in full swing by 10am... Go to Building "C" second floor at Fort Mason to buy your ticket the day of the event.

We have not made a final decision about this year's ticket price. Last year I think it was $30 with lunch an extra $5 but it looks like we might be able to drop that a bit this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
AUG 23rd UPDATE:

There are just under three months to go before the big Burning Amp day is here!

This year our guest speaker is Bob Cordell! Nelson Pass will also give a talk. There may be one or two other speakers as well. I will post more info and titles when I have them.

Once Labor Day (5 SEPT 2016) is behind us and summer is officially over I will start a "What I will be bringing to Burning Amp thread" where you can post info and pics of the projects that you plan (or hope!) to bring. Please think about posting there even if the project is still being completed, since this is helpful as a preview and to help others think about who they might want to pair up with. This info will eventually lead to room assignments, which will be posted in the last week or two before the show.

Hope to see you there!

-Charlie

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Charlie's taking over the organizing of Burning Amp, and we all owe him thanks! However, I'll be attending so I'll see you all there. As you can see from my info to the left, I'm spending more time each year in sunny Costa Rica, my wife's home country. I'm thinking that the show will be a lot more fun this year for me because I don't have to worry about the tortilla chip bowl being full, and finding an extension cord for someone, getting the blankets and tables set up, a projector, etc., etc.

One thought I'd like to leave is that a lot of people don't build a new component every year and feel awkward bringing the Same Old Thing. Actually I think that's true of most of us (except wrenchone who makes about 5 amps of his own design a year!)

Well think how awkward it would be if no one brought components to show. Keep in mind that everyone misses seeing some of the stuff every year and stumbles on it the next. Also, part of the point of Burning Amp is to get new people involved - especially those "Maker" whippersnappers in their 20's... For a lot of people this will be their first BAF, and we want a lot of our awesome stuff on display to blow them away! So if you have something -bring it! ESPECIALLY if you brought it a couple of years ago and not recently.

Looking forward to seeing you and having time to talk,
Mark Cronander
Variac

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Still breathing, just enjoy exaggerating a tad! Especially when it's giving props to a loyal, innovative BAF(fer) such as yourself. But it's people like me who finish one project every 2 years who are the majority, and I just wanted to remind people that the attendees aren't BORED by seeing stuff they've seen before, rather they love that stuff, especially matched with different componemts. And of course the biggest thing about BAF is to be able to talk to people we've met on line and never seen face to face. Charlie has a great idea with using the Firehouse in addition to the regular rooms. The firehouse was the site of the first Burning Amp and is a great place to hang out on literally "the Dock of the Bay" at ground level, 20' from the water.

Last edited:
The firehouse rocks, and did quite well enough for the first embryonic BA in 2007. I enyoyed hanging with SY and Anatech then, among others. Things were being constructed in the back room during all the hustle-bustle and hurley-burley.

Last edited:
What about a friendly BAF shootout?

There are a couple of scenarios that might be entertaining, if not educational. One would be a blind A/B shootout between a tube amp and a sand amp.

In light of the advancement of recent Nelson Pass designs and people touting their similarity to tube amps, people might like to hear a side by side comparison. Would it be difficult to set up an A/B switch to flip inputs and outputs between amps?

Another fun A/B might be a digital vs. vinyl comparison.

Is anyone else interested? Any ideas?

A-B testing can be done. What we would need is of course some switches to switch the output from amp A to amp B. But the two amps up for test might not have the same gain. So we would need to feed the signal to two pots: one for amp A and one for amp B. Then use a DB meter and a say 1KHz test tone to set the level for each amp.

Once both amps are set to play at the same level, we are set to switch between the amps without changes in DB level.

D.

Only one stereo pot for A/B. Just swap the adjustable channel to the hotter amp. A mixer might be better because it'll have low impedance drivers on both outputs, so both amp inputs get the same treatment. Maybe a spiffy preamp with a line level send for a recording deck and a volume controlled output for the house.

I would like to hear the SIT amp up against some glass. The 2000 transistor guys are great, but the SITs, IMHO, would present a better challenge/comparison to tubes.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
According to what I've read the amps need to have their volumes matched to around 0.1 db

This year Charlie Laub will be organizing the Festival so he'll put out the word if he needs something I think, although it's a nice to have people suggesting ideas and offering equipment! I think he's planning on another catered Indian affair for lunch but I don't really know- he's in charge! I'm spending most of my time in Costa Rica trying to get my future retirement house finished. Since I'm an architect, it seems just like work! OTOH it is fun to be designing it for myself! I do expect to attend the show though.

Mark

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.