Burning Amp 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
UPDATED INFO AS OF SEPT 12, 2016:

Burning Amp 2016 is in the final planning stages and we will be back at Fort Mason again this year. The event is being held on Sunday NOV 13th from 9am to 5pm.

Please check here, and other threads on Burning Amp 2016, for the latest info!

Your Organizer,

Charlie Laub

Last edited:
I will throw out a couple of other venues I found around the Bay Area (no location is really off the table at this point). See links below. Comments welcome:

Emeryville near IKEA:
This is an interesting space adjacent to Pixar featuring multiple rooms, but it doesn't look like there is any nearby parking. That kind of kills it.
Event/Training Space in Emeryville, The Animation Collaborative | eVenues.com

SF Design district near Room and Board and Caltrain:
One large-ish ground-floor conference room + kitchen in the city with parking garage 100m away. There are a several places to eat and a Starbucks on the same block. This looks promising.
Conference Space in San Francisco, 600 Townsend Building | eVenues.com

Both of the above options cost much less to rent than anything at Fort Mason, which hopefully will result in a more affordable entry fee for each attendee.

Still more ideas:
The number of affordable venue options increases as the maximum occupancy falls to about 100 people or less. Usually BA has drawn around 200 or so... In the past the possibility of a SAT+SUN event was discussed. This might break up the attendance so that a smaller capacity venue could be rented for two days. A mix of lectures and demos with a theme that changes from one day to the next could be tried. We could control attendance by pre-selling tickets if the smaller two-day concept is attractive.

DIY in SoCal

I am a DIY'er in SoCal. I have been looking at your past threads with interest. Perhaps i am internet search challenged, but i cannot find an LA diy audio club - just the LA audio society, but that is ultra high end and does not appear to have diy interest. Does anyone on this thread know of a SoCal DIY ? BTW i will come up to SF (I grew up in the bay area) for your meeting if you decide to have it. thanks

I am a DIY'er in SoCal. I have been looking at your past threads with interest. Perhaps i am internet search challenged, but i cannot find an LA diy audio club - just the LA audio society, but that is ultra high end and does not appear to have diy interest. Does anyone on this thread know of a SoCal DIY ? BTW i will come up to SF (I grew up in the bay area) for your meeting if you decide to have it. thanks

This question has been raised several times, and each time the answer seems to be "no" - there doesn't seem to be a DIY group in SoCal. I know of a couple of DIYers (mostly loudspeaker builders) and they did get together once, but there is not club per so.

UPDATE on a venue for Burning Amp:
The other options that we were considering just didn't pan out. It looks like we may be returning to Fort Mason, using the Firehouse and the group of conference rooms on the second floor of Building C. But since it is already only a few months until the fall there is really only one possible date and it is on a SUNDAY in NOVEMBER (11/13).

Hopefully we will make the call about this in the very near future so that we can announce it to everyone. For now this is tentative at best.

I've thought off and on about putting together some sort of in-between event locally with a more focused agenda , but haven't had the time or energy. There's an American Legion Hall just a few doors down from Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara, but don't know if it's suitable or even if they rent. If we interupted their bingo schedule, there'd probably be a riot...

Last edited:
At this point I am 90% certain that Burning Amp 2016 will be held on Sunday November 13, 2016 from 9am-5pm. When I have definite confirmation I will post about it.

Mark Cronander and I spent a good deal of time looking for alternative spaces in the greater SF/Peninsula/Marin area. Some had costs that were too high, some had spaces that were not appropriate or too small (many are set up for wedding receptions or small-med dinner parties), and some just didnt' reply to our inquiries. After a couple of months of looking we are back at Fort Mason.

If everything goes as planned, this year we will be using the Firehouse, which was the first BAF location, from 9-3pm (only!) and the usual conference rooms on the second floor from 9-5. The larger room where we had lectures on the second floor is no longer available for rent. This is making our costs higher, so we are looking for some sponsorships at this point while at the same time we try to keep the ticket price reasonable, offer lunch, etc.

More info will be posted in this thread so please check back often.

I would be happy to receive SERIOUS leads about possible venues for the 2017 event. Please consider we need a lecture area for 100 people as well as multiple medium sized rooms for demoing gear. We can't just set up in a gym or dance hall or it will be an echo chamber. There must be plenty of nearby parking, too. And it must come in under a certain budget...

The Presidio Yacht Club is out. The remodeled and raised their rates to an un-affordable level.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in San Mateo, but have since moved to LA. I would like to come up for the meeting since there is not an identifiable similar interest group in SoCal. In looking at your posts, I thought about the San Mateo County Fairgrounds where MakerFare is held. I know that they have several buildngs of different sizes, but I do not know what the costs would be. Just a thought

I grew up in San Mateo, but have since moved to LA. I would like to come up for the meeting since there is not an identifiable similar interest group in SoCal. In looking at your posts, I thought about the San Mateo County Fairgrounds where MakerFare is held. I know that they have several buildngs of different sizes, but I do not know what the costs would be. Just a thought

We would love it if you attended Burning Amp. Hope to see you there.

Thanks for the lead on the Fairgrounds. In this case: too BIG! There are several buildings that can be rented but they are HUGE! This tends to result in an echoing cavern type environment that is not suitable to audio. It's better if there are multiple "medium" size (e.g. between 10'x20' and 20'x40') rooms with modest ceiling height. The space(s) should accommodate multiple playback systems operating at the same time. If there is carpet and some acoustical tile or other abatement on the walls or ceiling this is a plus.

VENUE UPDATE:
We are now pushing 99.9% likelihood that Burning Amp 2016 will be on 13 NOV 2016 at Fort Mason, 9am-5pm! Yay!

Acoustical Abatement of demo rooms:
Although we still have some of those moving blankets that we used in the past to improve the acoustics, is there anyone (or a group of people) interested in DIY-ing, supplying, and then removing/storing some acoustic panels? A number of panels made by enclosing 2" thick rigid acoustic material (see link below) could work well and would be easy to store when not in use (or use it in your home!):
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Owens-Corning-703-Case-of-6--1004.html

The panels would do a lot more for the rooms than the moving blankets... it would be nice if we could find a local place that could supply this material so that shipping costs would be reduced. Maybe we could do a "group buy"? I could use a couple of these in my house.

Last edited:
Supposedly they are processing my deposit payment today, which means we definitely have the Firehouse and meeting rooms at Fort Mason for November 13. :up:

Please feel free to share the event announcement freely.

Also: we are looking for someone to do a modest web site redesign. If you can contribute some time to working on Burningamp.org and you have the necessary Fu for that kind of thing, please contact me.

Start getting those projects ready!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.