Burning Amp 2016

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That would be great. I tried to contact you about it recently but your PM inbox is full. Can you contact me please?

Thanks, I cleaned the box. After some forum upgrade packets sent to the forum through my home wi-fi did not come back. The hosting company did something weird with TCP/IP. Now it works again, so I am here.

I can bring whatever is needed, like several microphones, 12 channel mixer, 31 band EQ, class D or vacuum tube amp, foldable line arrays on stands.

Also, I will bring some prototypes of different tube SE amps to pair with people's speakers.

https://www.facebook.com/anatoliy.l...000768333967/1105599936142274/?type=2&theater

Any guesses on what Nelson is going to present this year? I hope for a SE V-fet design.

On First Watt page Papa write about triode semiconductor 2SK180 by Tokin :)

Attachments

• F6EFD100-D8D2-4F8F-9F6E-86F26B315531.JPG
    F6EFD100-D8D2-4F8F-9F6E-86F26B315531.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 45CECD11-CA50-4E62-8F7F-32B9A52D8F89.JPG
    45CECD11-CA50-4E62-8F7F-32B9A52D8F89.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 302
Maybe I missed it - but was there an announcement for the Nov 17 meetup. I live in the LA area and would like to come up for the event if at all possible. Sadly, there is not a similar group in the LA area. Could someone please direct me toward the announcement

I'm not sure what is going on NOV 17th... but I can confirm that:

Burning Amp is taking place SUNDAY NOVEMBER 13th at Fort Mason in San Francisco

Not sure why a critical mass can't be generated in SoCal. There are several people who are active there, and a couple do travel up to BA each year.

Thanks wdecho for your response. That's exactly what I'm interested in, and there is no such group here in LA, so I'm planning on coming up the weekend of burning amp - I have friends in the bay area, so it should be a fun weekend. I just need details on the time(s) that it will be held on 11/13 and the location, so that I can plan my trip

Thanks Again

Thanks wdecho for your response. That's exactly what I'm interested in, and there is no such group here in LA, so I'm planning on coming up the weekend of burning amp - I have friends in the bay area, so it should be a fun weekend. I just need details on the time(s) that it will be held on 11/13 and the location, so that I can plan my trip

Thanks Again

Please carefully read the top post at the web page found using the link provided by wdecho. I believe you will find all the info you are looking for.

VARIOUS AND SUNDRY BURNING AMP TIDBITS FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE

It's only about four weeks until this year's Burning Amp event! It's time to iron out some of the smaller details and update on various topics. Check back as things come into focus.

WE NEED SOUND ADSORPTION
This year, as you well know, we are back at the Fort Mason echo chambers. The bad news is Mark had to use up a good portion of the moving blankets, um, well... for moving! So there may be some or none of them available this year for sound abatement. If anyone has some bright ideas on how we can get some sound panels for the day, or anything else that will suck up sound, please post here or contact me. If you can store sound adsorption materials (in your garage, storage locker, etc), and can bring them to the event and take them back home again afterwards, please contact me.

VOLUNTEERS AND SETUP:
Instead of a team of volunteers, this year we are all in it together. On the plus side, because we are using the Firehouse for the lectures, raffle, and lunch and paying for it, all the chairs and tables in the Firehouse will be set up by Fort Mason. Yea! But in the Meeting rooms, where we normally have all the DIY gear on display, we will face the same setup tasks as in the past. That is to say Fort Mason will leave carts of chairs and tables here and there and our job is to set these up as we see fit. At the end of the day we need to return all the tables and chairs to the carts and do some minor cleanup. This is where we can all pitch in. If you are bringing gear, expect to be a volunteer as well. In fact if we all head up there in the morning when we arrive this can be done in 5 minutes. So please think about leaving your gear in the car when you arrive and take one trip inside to lend a hand and find your spot. Then go back and begin unloading. At the end of the day, after you have packed up, please think about lending a hand to move tables and chairs from your area back into the racks. If we all pitch in this will be easy peasey.

PARKING ADVISORY:
Fort Mason has a large pay parking lot. This year there is a large event taking place on the same day as Burning Amp and its attendees will compete with Burning Amp attendees for parking. We have the space reserved starting at 8am. The other show (Western States Crafts Fair) opens at 10am, but its vendors may arrive earlier. If the parking lot is full you will need to find parking in another Fort Mason lot or nearby paid parking. PLEASE TRY TO ARRIVE EARLY to avoid lugging your gear from 1/4 mile away. Sorry this is out of our control.

ENTRY FEE, RAFFLE TICKETS, LUNCH = $$$
Here's the skinny on costs for the event. Thanks to the generous donation by FirstWatt (Thanks NP!) we are able to keep the entry ticket cost down to $20 this year. Lunch will be offered for $10, which will get you a heaping plate of Indian Food (see earlier post in this thread for the menu). You will get some raffle tickets as part of the entry ticket charge, and additional raffle tickets will be available for an additional cost which is yet to be determined. If you attend Burning Amp and are NOT an invited speaker or vendor, be prepared to pay the entry fee (cash only).

RAFFLE OF DONATED ITEMS:
This year's raffle will be held in the Firehouse over the lunch hour when everyone will be down there anyway. If you would like to donate items, please consider whether these would be of interest to someone. Please do not use the raffle to dump old junk! And please check to see if your item was actually taken away after the raffle has concluded and if not, please take it back home with you. Thanks for your consideration on this point.

PLEASE PREPARE INFO ON YOUR DIY PROJECT
Burning Amp is much more interesting when people can read about what they are looking at. Wow, here's a nice electronics chassis with some connectors on the table! What is it? Don't make attendees GUESS. PLEASE prepare a short description (e.g. 1 page or less) of your project at home, print it out, and bring it with you. You cannot always be there every second to explain your project, and even if you are this will give someone other than the person you are talking to at the time a chance to get an idea about it. Some point you can include are: What is it (preamp, amp, headphone amp, etc)? Did you design this or did you build a kit? What is novel about it (parts used, construction techniques, etc)? What are your own thoughts about it, and would you recommend it for someone else to build, etc. This kind of info can make browsing around the floor much more informative and can cover the basics so that you will not need to repeat them over and over again.

TALKS GIVEN BY INVITED SPEAKERS:
There are three talks (see tentative schedule in next post). Exact topics are a little fuzzy, but in essence Nelson Pass will be talking about something amplifier related, Bob Cordell will be talking about an Adcom amp into a more audiophile project, and Bryan Levin will be doing a follow up on last year's talk on Arduino-based remote control systems. The talks are spread out during the day and will be held at the Firehouse. Unfortunately, the large room cannot (by Fire Code) accommodate more than about 110 people so it may very well be that some may have to stand outside or will not be able to attend. Please no standing around the walls as this will violate Fire Code.

ALCOHOL
There is no alcohol allowed, period. Getting the proper permit and meeting the regulations required by Fort Mason, including insurance, is prohibitive. Please do not bring your own, either. You have been warned.

VENDORS: LINEAR INTEGRATED SYSTEMS and MODUSHOP
This year we have two vendors who will attend. LIS will have product samples on hand, literature, t-shirts to sell, and will demo/display a head phone amplifier evaluation board. Please stop by their tables upstairs in the small meeting room. Gian from Modushop will also attend and will be raffling off this Deluxe 4U steel amplifier chassis! Please check out the link for more info on this beauty and stop be their table next to LIS.

Last edited by a moderator:
BURNING AMP 2016 TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

When: 9am - 5pm SUNDAY NOV 13, 2016

Where: Firehouse and Building C 2nd Floor at Fort Mason, San Francisco

8:00-9:00am.......ARRIVAL, SETUP MEETING ROOMS
9am-11am..........MINGLE, DEMOS, ETC.
11am..............TALK by Bryan Levin
11:45-1pm.........LUNCH
12:15-1:15pm......RAFFLE
1:30pm............TALK by Nelson Pass
2:30pm............TALK by Bob Cordell
3:30pm............Cleanup and exit Firehouse
4PM-5PM...........MINGLE, DEMOS, ETC.
5PM...............END OF SHOW
5PM-6PM...........PACK UP, RETURN TABLES AND CHAIRS TO CARTS
6PM...............LIGHTS OUT

MAP OF FORT MASON GROUNDS:
http://www.parksconservancy.org/assets/park-improvements/pdfs/fort-mason-map.pdf

Free speaker Stuff

In past years I have brought various drivers for give away but I never know what people want so this year I thought I would post what I have first and if nobody wants it, into the bin it goes! We've been cleaning up the NHT warehouse and I'm going through the samples we've collected over the years. Today I found some 12" woofers that have to go. They are a little dusty and some of them have white dots on the cone where we bounced a laser off of them. I'm going to test them and if they are good I'll post a picture and specs. My idea is: If someone wants it, let me know and I'll put your name on it and bring it to the BA. I hope this is OK the the BA folks, or if you have a better idea let me know. Also if you have a request for something you think we have I'll see what I can do (within reason). No beer at BA, bummer...

In past years I have brought various drivers for give away but I never know what people want so this year I thought I would post what I have first and if nobody wants it, into the bin it goes! We've been cleaning up the NHT warehouse and I'm going through the samples we've collected over the years. Today I found some 12" woofers that have to go. They are a little dusty and some of them have white dots on the cone where we bounced a laser off of them. I'm going to test them and if they are good I'll post a picture and specs. My idea is: If someone wants it, let me know and I'll put your name on it and bring it to the BA. I hope this is OK the the BA folks, or if you have a better idea let me know. Also if you have a request for something you think we have I'll see what I can do (within reason). No beer at BA, bummer...

Would your 12" woofers work well in an open baffle configuration? If so, I could use them with my nht tweeters and random 5" mids that I got last year [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would your 12" woofers work well in an open baffle configuration? If so, I could use them with my nht tweeters and random 5" mids that I got last year [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, you decide! There are not big qty's though. I'm only bringing what I can safely carry in my subaru. There are only 10, mostly random 12" woofers. I'll try to post pictures and specs tomorrow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.