Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Burning Amp 2016
Burning Amp 2016
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2017, 12:47 PM   #261
Dennis Hui is online now Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

Burning Amp 2016
Great news about the SAL drivers. Too bad about BA2017.
Old 12th June 2017, 08:04 AM   #262
Soundhappy is offline Soundhappy  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb View Post
Any info about Burning Amp Festival for 2017?
Let's dream about BAF 2017 the very best day of the year

Old 1st July 2017, 08:08 PM   #263
vilfort is offline vilfort  United States
diyAudio Member

OK Fellow Amp Builders,
What do we need to get BAF 2017 under way?
I am happy to help! And I am sure that others on this fine forum are willing to help as well. Is it Fort Mason that is holding things up?
Old 8th July 2017, 05:59 PM   #264
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor

Burning Amp 2016
I'll try to fill you guys in about the issues with BAF.
I've also started a thread about the SAL drivers, so we aren't posting somewhat OT on this thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ml#post5126632

Last edited by Variac; 8th July 2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12th July 2017, 07:31 PM   #265
Michael Rothacher is offline Michael Rothacher  United States
AudioMaker.Tech
diyAudio Member

Burning Amp 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
I'll try to fill you guys in about the issues with BAF.
Uh oh, should I be thinking 2018?
Old 12th July 2017, 08:01 PM   #266
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

There is no BA 2107 planned (as far as I know).

It's not too early to plan BA 2018, but we need an organizer. There are some funds that can be used for a venue deposit but they real need is someone who will take on all of the planning and organizational tasks ahead of the show (venue, catering, advertising, etc, etc.), and who will be responsible for "running" things at the show itself. That person is not me - I want to be an exhibitor. There is no time for that when you are running the event!

I am more than happy to help the organizer out with what (little!) I know after doing this last year. Mark is also a great well of info and knows who to contact. Both of us have experience trying to find a venue for the event around San Francisco that is suitable for both noise-making exhibits and talks, has close parking that facilitates loading/unloading, and is somewhere that people want to go. Fort Mason is no longer as suitable as it once was, but BA could return there is we follow the format that was used last year.

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 12th July 2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12th July 2017, 08:30 PM   #267
diyAudio Editor

Burning Amp 2016
I can no longer be The Organizer AND do everything and that points out the problem: we don't need one Organizer to do everything, we need one Organizer to organize various people organizing one thing each.

I was as busy as everyone else in life so did as much as I could in advance, and just "winged it" at the the show. I did try to get a "board" together but thought we really did need to meet together. Now I realize how much can be done online, and that we should have had a volunteer covering each of the topics. I wish I had done this, but as I said, I have a Real Life too,

Since I have "organized" basically all the Burning Amps other than the last one, where I mainly participated by getting the Presenters, I do know what's required, and am happy to list the requirements in a post soon. Perhaps people could then volunteer to organize each topic.

In the past I tried to do everything, but did have some volunteers which were a help. If they were organized better that could be a great resource. Usually there were a couple of volunteers that did a LOT, but the rest were somewhat ineffective. Mostly because I couldn't explain what to do to them all at t he last minute.

I also paid people to help and they were quite a bit more effective. The problem is that volunteers are there because they love Burning Amp and so have a strong tendency to wander off to look at and listen to equipment. Hired people who have no particular interest and expect to do work. However we clearly can't afford many. My solution would be 2 "crews" of volunteers each serving for half the day.

Some years have clearly been better than others and IMHO, one HUGE factor is getting people excited in advance so they bring a lot of stuff to look at and audition, for me, seeing all sorts of systems with all sorts of components is the heart of BAF. A couple of,chaotic rooms with few systems isn't BAF.

And on the subject of those rooms, there need to be policing of the rooms so people take turns and keep there volume moderate, etc.

Note how organized and pleasant the Linkwitz and Pass rooms are. It's because the Principal is THERE, organizing things and keeping them under control. We need that in all the rooms.

More soon.

Mark

Last edited by Variac; 12th July 2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12th July 2017, 08:40 PM   #268
diyAudio Member

Should we start now by checking into Fort Mason in fall 2018?

I am happy to check with them about it. Some dates need to be identified during which FM has availability for the rooms we want (Firehouse and conference rooms again?), there is no large competing event (like Fleet Week), and so on.

Burning Amp has been held sometime between roughly Labor Day (early SEPT) and Thanksgiving (late NOV), with early-to-mid OCT being the sweet spot.

Suggestions are welcome.

Maybe a BA2018 thread should be started? Mark, do you want to kick one off?
Old 12th July 2017, 09:53 PM   #269
diyAudio Member

OK, I sent out an email to Fort Mason to inquire about availability, both for Fall 2017 (snowball's chance in a hot place) and Fall 2018. I will probably get a reply either today or tomorrow and will follow up here when I have more info.
Old 12th July 2017, 10:18 PM   #270
diyAudio Editor

Burning Amp 2016
Thanks Charlie! Charlie is right, probably unlikely we can throw this together for this year. Ft.Mason does book up early. To his credit, Charlie does probably have enough $ from last year (mostly due to Nelson Pass' donation of an amplifier to raffle) to pay the deposit on the place. Possibly we've outgrown Ft. Mason, but we've had a hard time finding anything better. The event at Interana that Stuart who works there arranged a couple of years ago was actually the best IMHO because it had many smallish rooms so we had a bunch of great displays and demonstrations. Probably no chance of getting that again.

Which probably proves Linixworks was right! We got a huge turnout there probably because there are more tech geeks in Silicon Valley. Who woulda thought! Also because I think we communicated well that there would be a good spot for everyone who brought stuff.

So everyone think! Ft Mason is fine, and hard to beat the Bay view, but we can't use the big upstairs room there anymore. The Firehouse does that job although kinda separates the activities, but the real problem is that it adds a lot of cost.

Ideally we need about 8 rooms for demos and an auditorium/big room with chairs for the presentations. Usually a place owned by a county or city is cheaper. A corporate space donated by one of the plethora of companies in Silicon Valley would probably be ideal as they have meeting rooms and assembly rooms! Ask your boss!

Last edited by Variac; 12th July 2017 at 10:39 PM.

Burning Amp 2016Hide this!Advertise here!