2015 Burning Amp Festival, Saturday October 17th

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
READ the burningamp.org site! ;)

Hoping for a Social Hour(s) starting at 8. That means lunch AND dinner! Yipes! I think we can swing it. Charlie has suggested Indian food catered and I love the idea. Was going to do that for lunch, but maybe the traditional sausages at lunch and an Indian dinner? We have a decent sized kitchen and tables there and in the presention area..

There is free parking at the venue. Caltrain station is about 15 blocks away. Would be cool to have people stay in the same hotel! Preferably halfway between the station and the venue. That area isdn't the fanciest, so there might be a reasonable place

Where are those of you coming from out of town, and those like me who just don't feel like driving home that night, planning to stay? Don't feel that you have to identify the EXACT hotel or anything, but will you be staying near the event, or somewhere else?

Should there be some kind of after-social-hour socializing somewhere? Only get to do this once per year, so might as well make it count!

Burning Amp 2015 Accommodation Options

Here is some info for those coming in from out of town or who want to book some local lodging. Google Maps shows several hotels in the immediate area. Rates start at about $80/night. These are mostly 2-star properties.
HOTELS WITHIN ~1 MILE OF THE 2015 BURNING AMP VENUE
The Redwood City Caltrain station is 1 mile from the venue.

If you zoom the map out to a 2 mile radius there are at least 18 places to stay, so plenty of options. Most are very affordable. There are two three-star rated properties within this radius, the Holiday Inn Express, Redwood City Central (1.2 miles, currently $126/night) and a Best Western Inn (1.8 miles, $162/night).

Going slightly further afield, there is the 4-star rated Sofitel San Francisco Bay (3.8 miles). A special offer for ONE NIGHT for $110 (including taxes!) is currently being offered the night of Burning Amp. I found this via the hotels' web site (see link above). This is a large hotel with a upscale bar and restaurant (click on links for pics). This could be a place to plan to meet up for any after-social-hour socializing. For longer stays, the room rates start at $159/night. I have booked a stay at this hotel myself as it seems to be a good balance of class and affordability, and is relatively nearby the event.

Within 5 miles there are endless possibilities, and even more upscale accommodations in the Palo Alto area. The 4-Seasons Hotel ($444) and Epiphany Hotel ($289) are both 4-star hotels but prices are higher, accordingly. If you are looking for an upscale place, both of these would be a very nice choice.

All of these can be found using Orbitz or other travel search engine, or use the links above.

Last edited:
I would be sorely tempted to spend the night nearby on the day before the venue to get my stuff loaded in earlier. Socializing before/after would be a cherry on top of the cake, as a lot of times during the course of the actual event, I'm too focused to circulate and mix. Loading in on the night before BA would be really cool.

Should there be some kind of after-social-hour socializing somewhere
That question doesn't really need an answer does it?
Hoping for a Social Hour(s) starting at 8.
8? I vote for earlier, much earlier. Happy hour should start about noon. The buzz from my scotch on corn flakes will have worn off by then.
Good things happen when you climb on board the Cal train. Just ask my buddy Jimmy Buffett.

Choo-choo, all aboard!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is quite a score! Must be audiophiles... I'm pretty sure it's just the date of BAF, but Of course the rates are difficult to figure out!
There is a 2 double bed room that is pretty reasonable on most days..

Going slightly further afield, there is the 4-star rated Sofitel San Francisco Bay (3.8 miles). A special offer for ONE NIGHT for $110 (including taxes!) is currently being offered the night of Burning Amp. I found this via the hotels' web site (see link above). This is a large hotel with a upscale bar and restaurant (click on links for pics). This could be a place to plan to meet up for any after-social-hour socializing. For longer stays, the room rates start at $159/night. I have booked a stay at this hotel myself as it seems to be a good balance of class and affordability, and is relatively nearby the event.

All of these can be found using Orbitz or other travel search engine, or use the links above.

Last edited:
This is quite a score! Must be audiophiles... I'm pretty sure it's just the date of BAF, but Of course the rates are difficult to figure out!
There is a 2 double bed room that is pretty reasonable on most days..

That two-double-bed room is the one I got for 110.

Here is how to book it:
Go to the Sofitel web page using the link in my post above. In the little brown colored area at the top right that says "BOOK" select OCTOBER 17th and then click the "BOOK" button. On the next page that comes up, select 1 room and 1 or 2 adults, and then click "VIEW RATES". On the next page that gives all the room options, scroll down to SUPERIOR ROOM (there is one with King and one with two double beds) and click on the small text that says "view rates for this room type". This opens up more options for the SUPERIOR ROOM, and you should see "EXCLUSIVE OFFER" listed. This is the $110/night rate.

Takes a little drilling down, but you get there eventually. Get 'em while there still available!

That is an amazing rate for the Sofitel. I have stayed there many times and it is very nice. They make their money on the amenities. Breakfast is gorgeous but pricy. A coke in the shop in the lobby is $5. With this rate you can enjoy luxury accommodation and then choose your level of spend based on eating in or enjoying the many places near by.

A BA Contender in the Making

This one will magically transform itself into a full preamp with MM RIAA and line stages between now and BA - No steeeenking ICs...

Attachments

• Pre.JPG
    Pre.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 263
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
this weekend is Baby Diya's Baby BAF , also known as FAK 2015

will post some pics/vids these days .....

I know Papa doesn't like to fly (anymore) , so I didn't even invite him

:clown:

(maybe I'll wear his T-shirt , just to annoy ........ those who are easily annoyed :rofl: )

Last edited:
Last edited:
If someone is contemplating bringing a turntable with a moving coil cartridge, it would be a great incentive for me to finish my MC preamp-in-the-making. If so, shoot me a PM with the termination resistance you are using, and I will set up my preamp accordingly.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I found a spiffy little place in Palo Alto called the Creekside or something like that.

There are two garages I want to see while I'm in town: HP and Steve Jobs's :)

You picked a place in the southern part of Palo Alto, which means you've got a slightly longer drive to the Burning Amp event. On the plus side, you're walking distance to Fry's, the local electronics store. There are also lots of good restaurants nearby. I live about 3 miles further south. Glad to give some tips if you need any advice on things to see, etc..

Regarding garages, neither the HP garage or Steve Jobs garage are open for visitors but you can still visit and take pictures from the street. Pretty easy to search online and get the full story.

---Gary

What ELSE to do?

+1 for Hiller Aviation Museum. Small, but has some cool stuff from beginnings of aviation in the Bay Area. Interactive exhibits, lots of pictures and stories.

Plus, you are right near Jameco Electronics if you need anything. Check out their website, and you can use the will-call desk to pick up.

Unfortunately, nearly all the great Silicon Valley surplus/HP test equipment grave yards are gone. Lots of computer junk at Weird Stuff in Sunnyvale. Haltek in Sunnyvale seems to have added a lot of surplus test equipment and always have rows of misc parts and spools upon spools of wire.

If you are out of the area, check out our local brews. Anchor Steam and others. Lots of good small wineries in the Santa Cruz mountains or over in Livermore. If you have a few days, head down to the central coast and hit the wineries in Paso Robles, outside San Luis Obispo and the Firestone brewery.

You will not leave the area thirsty, I hope.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.