12th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 150
Front and rear.
They started as a 2 way sealed
Then 2.5 way sealed to improve the lower bass.
then 3.5 way sealed to add more mid
then 3.5 way with PR to add more bass
They got better every step of the way and are listenable but there's something about the bass that doesn't work. Not deep enough and it sounds like it's being shot out of a hollow log.

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 115
Hi Cal,

Here's a link on PR's.
The Subwoofer DIY Page - Passive Radiator Systems

You may need to add some mass to the 10". Looking at the spec's on the WR125's, the Qts may be a little high (.64) for use in a vented or PR, but they could be tuned down to around 55 hz at best. But maybe more realistically, closer to 60 hz. The total mass of the passive would probably need to be around 60-90 grams (this includes the Mms of the 10").

Some passives come with a stack of weights that can be adjusted. I've seen other diy'ers apply caulking to the cone, starting around the dust cap. You may or may not want to sacrifice the 10" for the sake of experimentation.

Dave, I really appreciate your input and if this just needed some tweeking, I'd be right on it. At this point we're not very close.
You'll note the different stages of the unit with a noticeable improvement each time. By the time you get to this stage and you're not getting close to what you need, you start looking in another direction. I don't think there's anything that can be done at this point.
As always it's nice to bring this to the table for you guys to chew on but this time, I have to hang my head in shame. It's just not going to be the Belle of the ball this year.
Cheers.

Date not set yet, likely 20 Aug.

I guessed Aug 17 ±a weekend. Cool. I'll keep watching for the 2016 thread.

Calgary to Victoria & back is a nice drive. I've done it starting from either end quite a few times.

I did it just after new years this year. It was indeed an awesome drive. I hit Hwy 1 just north of Sumas, so I got to skip the Vancouver traffic. There was a light dusting of snow on the mountains and trees. It was epic.

We are 3.3 km off the #1.

So in total, I'll have to drive an entire 4 km off #1. :)

Come on out. Come early, stay late.

Thank you. Will do. It's only been four years since I last visited. I hope to bring some toys this time around.

Tom

Your Summer HiFi / Audio Fun!

Just for everyone's general information, we will be holding the "The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest" down here near Seattle on August 27th. If you enjoy DIY stuff the BC event and the Seattle event are a week apart (as usual).

I'll be posting more information in the next couple of days on a separate thread so as to not cause any confusion (hopefully!).

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.